A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US steel trade war



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 8th 18, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 937
Default US steel trade war

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Ads
  #2  
Old March 8th 18, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default US steel trade war

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


The president has said that he will impose a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side deals" with any
country.
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #3  
Old March 8th 18, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,671
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 3:14 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


The president has said that he will impose a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side deals" with any
country.


For you gullible types who think anything DJT says is valid
until the next day, the morning news now says he'll exempt
Canada & Mexico. Tomorrow? Your guess is as good as mine.
Or his.

One bright aspect is that he does say a lot of crazy things,
and in butchered English too, but so far he has done well.

http://www.datamyne.com/multisite/wp...016.jpg?x14874

Imports all together are something just under 30% of US
steel consumption, i.e., 70% domestic.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #4  
Old March 8th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,306
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 12:13 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


Yes, I do know.

After so much push-back, exemptions will be given to most countries,
probably every country other than China. Our idiot-in-chief tried to
frame the tariffs as punishing China, which is not even in the top ten
exporters of steel to the U.S.. After being called out for this
foolishness, the White House is retreating.

The tariffs on China will drive up world steel and aluminum prices,
since China was driving down prices worldwide.

  #5  
Old March 8th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 177
Default US steel trade war

On 08/03/2018 8:52 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 3:14 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


The president has said that he will impose a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side deals" with any
country.


For you gullible types who think anything DJT says is valid until the
next day, the morning news now says he'll exempt Canada & Mexico.
Tomorrow? Your guess isĀ* as good as mine. Or his.

One bright aspect is that he does say a lot of crazy things, and in
butchered English too, but so far he has done well.


http://www.datamyne.com/multisite/wp...016.jpg?x14874


Imports all together are something just under 30% of US steel
consumption, i.e., 70% domestic.


I don't follow you. Your chart is a comparison of Q1-3 of 2015 compared
to Q1-3 of 2016. The election was 4th quarter 2016.

Anyway, it seems to show that our import of steel from China dropped and
the main import of steel in 2016 comes from Canada rather than China.

Presumably DJT stopped buying Chinese steel when he decided to run for
Pres? But seriously isn't DJT's point to block Chinese steel? Or am I
missing something?
  #6  
Old March 8th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,182
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 4:14 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


The president has said that he will impose a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side deals" with any
country.


He doesn't know yet. It all depends on what they say on "Fox & Friends"
in the next day or two. Or perhaps his ouija board.


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #7  
Old March 8th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,671
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 9:11 AM, Duane wrote:
On 08/03/2018 8:52 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 3:14 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg

wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

The president has said that he will impose a 25% import
duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side
deals" with any
country.


For you gullible types who think anything DJT says is
valid until the next day, the morning news now says he'll
exempt Canada & Mexico. Tomorrow? Your guess isĀ as good
as mine. Or his.

One bright aspect is that he does say a lot of crazy
things, and in butchered English too, but so far he has
done well.


http://www.datamyne.com/multisite/wp...016.jpg?x14874


Imports all together are something just under 30% of US
steel consumption, i.e., 70% domestic.


I don't follow you. Your chart is a comparison of Q1-3 of
2015 compared to Q1-3 of 2016. The election was 4th quarter
2016.

Anyway, it seems to show that our import of steel from China
dropped and the main import of steel in 2016 comes from
Canada rather than China.

Presumably DJT stopped buying Chinese steel when he decided
to run for Pres? But seriously isn't DJT's point to block
Chinese steel? Or am I missing something?


I just linked a typical steel import distribution[1]. I
don't think his tariff intent matches his desired results
very well.

[1]I'm not an expert on steel import distribution and yes
I'm sure it varies slightly over time. But the steel
industry, worldwide, has had deep and profound troubles,
barely improved if at all in any country despite frenetic
political interference for my entire adult life and this
won't change that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #8  
Old March 8th 18, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,182
Default US steel trade war

On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?
  #9  
Old March 8th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,671
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?


We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too harsh
and stiff. Aluminum won't work either because it's too soft
and noodly. That went on just forever with, as always, much
digression.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #10  
Old March 8th 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 177
Default US steel trade war

On 08/03/2018 3:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh!Ā* Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?


We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too harsh and stiff.
Aluminum won't work either because it's too soft and noodly. That went
on just forever with, as always, much digression.


Yes but what about aluminium?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS or Trade Carbon Compact Crankset - Trade 172.5 for 175 mike Marketplace 0 June 30th 07 12:35 AM
Trade 46T or 42T 130 for 48T 130 BW Marketplace 0 August 22nd 06 02:05 PM
FS or Trade: Look PP396 Exc $49 or Trade for Time Impact mike Marketplace 0 February 20th 06 03:06 AM
Trade:Basso steel VAMAINT Marketplace 0 August 10th 04 02:21 PM
For Trade: My XL jersey for one smaller, even trade no $ Mark T Marketplace 2 July 18th 03 09:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.