A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US steel trade war



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 8th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,844
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 2:36 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/03/2018 3:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?


We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too
harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work either because it's
too soft and noodly. That went on just forever with, as
always, much digression.


Yes but what about aluminium?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYS9EQWkXg

poTAYto poTAHto
Dural Avional
622mm 700C
no matter how you say it!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


Ads
  #12  
Old March 9th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default US steel trade war

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:53:51 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/8/2018 4:14 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 09:13:13 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


The president has said that he will impose a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminum.

He has not yet said whether there will be any "side deals" with any
country.


He doesn't know yet. It all depends on what they say on "Fox & Friends"
in the next day or two. Or perhaps his ouija board.


The U.S.'s largest sources of imported steel are Canada, Brazil, S.
Korea, Mexico and Russia, some 57% of all U.S. steel imports. Imports
from India, China and Vietnam are the last, and lowest, sources.

--
Cheers,

John B.

  #13  
Old March 9th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 196
Default US steel trade war

AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 2:36 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/03/2018 3:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?

We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too
harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work either because it's
too soft and noodly. That went on just forever with, as
always, much digression.


Yes but what about aluminium?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYS9EQWkXg

poTAYto poTAHto
Dural Avional
622mm 700C
no matter how you say it!


Oh, I thought you were going here with the link to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/FU0O0AvOrm4

  #14  
Old March 9th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,844
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 6:19 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 2:36 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/03/2018 3:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?

We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too
harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work either because it's
too soft and noodly. That went on just forever with, as
always, much digression.


Yes but what about aluminium?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYS9EQWkXg

poTAYto poTAHto
Dural Avional
622mm 700C
no matter how you say it!


Oh, I thought you were going here with the link to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/FU0O0AvOrm4


In light of it being International Women's Day, I suppose
it's nice you didn't link to actual naked ladies.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #15  
Old March 9th 18, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 196
Default US steel trade war

AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 6:19 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 2:36 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/03/2018 3:31 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/8/2018 1:51 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/03/18 09:13, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.

I thought it was a 25% import duty on Steel
and a 10% duty on Aluminium but everybody was exempt.

Heh! Can we have an Aluminum vs aluminium argument!?

We had that debate here 20 years ago.

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because it's too
harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work either because it's
too soft and noodly. That went on just forever with, as
always, much digression.


Yes but what about aluminium?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYS9EQWkXg

poTAYto poTAHto
Dural Avional
622mm 700C
no matter how you say it!


Oh, I thought you were going here with the link to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/FU0O0AvOrm4


In light of it being International Women's Day, I suppose
it's nice you didn't link to actual naked ladies.


Nah, they're a good Canadian band. It's like naming your band "Free Beer".

  #16  
Old March 9th 18, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default US steel trade war

AMuzi wrote:

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because
it's too harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work
either because it's too soft and noodly.
That went on just forever with, as always,
much digression.


One on-topic question on aluminium/aluminum
I thought about asking is how do they cut the
pipes so to get those roundish forms so that
for example the top and down tube aligns so
well with the head tube?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #17  
Old March 9th 18, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default US steel trade war

On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 07:54:47 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because
it's too harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work
either because it's too soft and noodly.
That went on just forever with, as always,
much digression.


One on-topic question on aluminium/aluminum
I thought about asking is how do they cut the
pipes so to get those roundish forms so that
for example the top and down tube aligns so
well with the head tube?


1. You can cut and file the tube end to fit with hand tools, or

2. You can set the tube up at the correct angle, using a vertical
milling machine, and cut the tube end to fit using the proper size
end mill, or hole saw,.
See
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Bicycle-Frame/
Tube Mitering
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #18  
Old March 9th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,844
Default US steel trade war

On 3/9/2018 12:54 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Aluminum is no good for a bike frame because
it's too harsh and stiff. Aluminum won't work
either because it's too soft and noodly.
That went on just forever with, as always,
much digression.


One on-topic question on aluminium/aluminum
I thought about asking is how do they cut the
pipes so to get those roundish forms so that
for example the top and down tube aligns so
well with the head tube?


What do you have handy?
A milling machine is fast if you're making a lot of miters
but a file works just fine for one:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/MAK8B.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #19  
Old March 9th 18, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,343
Default US steel trade war

On 3/8/2018 12:13 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


I guess we'll soon see more titanium and carbon fiber products.

  #20  
Old March 9th 18, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default US steel trade war

On 09/03/2018 9:18 AM, sms wrote:
On 3/8/2018 12:13 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I read in the daily rag that the US
has/will impose import tariffs on steel!
Sweden exports some steel to the US, it is the
second biggest partner in this sense after
Germany. Apparently Bush Jr did something to
this extent in the early 2000s, only then the
Swedish companies (and probably many others as
well) got exceptions because what was
exported/imported wasn't "just steel" but
specialized steel products. Heh! How it will
end this time, only Jehovah knows.


I guess we'll soon see more titanium and carbon fiber products.


The trade war is going to push the price of my bourbon up. For that I
won't forgive Trump.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS or Trade Carbon Compact Crankset - Trade 172.5 for 175 mike Marketplace 0 June 30th 07 12:35 AM
Trade 46T or 42T 130 for 48T 130 BW Marketplace 0 August 22nd 06 02:05 PM
FS or Trade: Look PP396 Exc $49 or Trade for Time Impact mike Marketplace 0 February 20th 06 04:06 AM
Trade:Basso steel VAMAINT Marketplace 0 August 10th 04 02:21 PM
For Trade: My XL jersey for one smaller, even trade no $ Mark T Marketplace 2 July 18th 03 09:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.