A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

rim notation



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old March 12th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,180
Default rim notation

On 12/03/18 14:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2018 11:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, have you
considered buying a book?


These are the ones I have acquired or borrowed
from the public library. The road bike books
obviously don't cover the Torpedo rear hub, and
the Swedish books are mechanically at a lower
level than that, the Dutch one maybe covers it
but I don't read the language - it has some
good illos tho so I wouldn't rule it out.
"Effective cycling" I gave up on as it was so
boring to read with very few illustrations and
a tiresome focus on policy/traffic issues which
I can't influence anyway.

@book{complete-road-bike-maintenance,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Guy Andrews},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978 1 4081 7093 9},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Bloomsbury},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Complete Road Bike Maintenance},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2013
}

@book{en-cyklo-pedi,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Johan Tell},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978-91-1-307337-8},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Nordstedt},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {En cyklo pedi},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2016
}

@book{effective-cycling,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {John Forester},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978-0-262-51694-5},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Cambridge},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Effective Cycling},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2012
}

@book{bike,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Daniel Benson and Richard Moore},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 9781781312346,
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Aurum},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Bike! A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling
Designers},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2014
}

@book{cykelbok,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Staffan Skott},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {91-550-3942-1},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Tiden},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Cykelbok},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 1994
}

@book{praktisch-fietsboek,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Rob van der Plas},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {90 274 9848 2},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Spectrum},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Praktisch Fietsboek},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 1984
}



You might consider a review of basic principles and prior art besides
consumer 'how to' books:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?k...&hs.x=0&hs.y=0


You are not wrong. John Forester is an asshole

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.c...is-an-asshole/



Ads
  #22  
Old March 12th 18, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,167
Default rim notation

On 3/12/2018 3:44 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/03/18 14:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2018 11:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, have you
considered buying a book?

These are the ones I have acquired or borrowed
from the public library. The road bike books
obviously don't cover the Torpedo rear hub, and
the Swedish books are mechanically at a lower
level than that, the Dutch one maybe covers it
but I don't read the language - it has some
good illos tho so I wouldn't rule it out.
"Effective cycling" I gave up on as it was so
boring to read with very few illustrations and
a tiresome focus on policy/traffic issues which
I can't influence anyway.

@book{complete-road-bike-maintenance,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Guy Andrews},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978 1 4081 7093 9},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Bloomsbury},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Complete Road Bike Maintenance},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2013
}

@book{en-cyklo-pedi,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Johan Tell},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978-91-1-307337-8},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Nordstedt},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {En cyklo pedi},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2016
}

@book{effective-cycling,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {John Forester},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {978-0-262-51694-5},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Cambridge},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Effective Cycling},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2012
}

@book{bike,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Daniel Benson and Richard Moore},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 9781781312346,
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Aurum},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Bike! A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling
Designers},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 2014
}

@book{cykelbok,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Staffan Skott},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {91-550-3942-1},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Tiden},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Cykelbok},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 1994
}

@book{praktisch-fietsboek,
¬*¬* author¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Rob van der Plas},
¬*¬* ISBN¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {90 274 9848 2},
¬*¬* publisher¬* = {Spectrum},
¬*¬* title¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = {Praktisch Fietsboek},
¬*¬* year¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* = 1984
}



You might consider a review of basic principles and prior art besides
consumer 'how to' books:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?k...&hs.x=0&hs.y=0


The book _Bicycles & Tricycles, An Elementary Treatise_ is probably
interesting only to those who love the history of engineering. It was
written well over 100 years ago. I enjoyed finding out what they knew
back then - which was quite a lot - but it's not useful for fixing a bike.

You are not wrong.¬* John Forester is an asshole


Forester's book is also not the best for learning to work on a bike. But
the book was absolutely ground breaking, and those of us who actually
ride on public streets and roads owe Forester a great debt. He's devoted
his life to preserving cyclists' rights to the road and teaching
cyclists how to handle traffic.

His online personality is prickly indeed; but he's a brilliant thinker,
and most attacks against him come from the "bicycle facility complex."
That's the idealists who imagine we can and should build a segregated
network for bikes, parallel to our existing network of streets, and the
designers who make their money by deluding the idealists and selling
their services to cities.

When people point out that's not possible, or that the yearned-for
designs create difficult problems, those folks get nasty.

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.c...is-an-asshole/


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #23  
Old March 13th 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,651
Default rim notation

On 3/12/2018 2:44 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/03/18 14:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2018 11:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, have you
considered buying a book?

These are the ones I have acquired or borrowed
from the public library. The road bike books
obviously don't cover the Torpedo rear hub, and
the Swedish books are mechanically at a lower
level than that, the Dutch one maybe covers it
but I don't read the language - it has some
good illos tho so I wouldn't rule it out.
"Effective cycling" I gave up on as it was so
boring to read with very few illustrations and
a tiresome focus on policy/traffic issues which
I can't influence anyway.

@book{complete-road-bike-maintenance,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Guy Andrews},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {978 1 4081 7093 9},
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Bloomsbury},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Complete Road Bike Maintenance},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 2013
}

@book{en-cyklo-pedi,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Johan Tell},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {978-91-1-307337-8},
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Nordstedt},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {En cyklo pedi},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 2016
}

@book{effective-cycling,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {John Forester},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {978-0-262-51694-5},
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Cambridge},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Effective Cycling},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 2012
}

@book{bike,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Daniel Benson and Richard Moore},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 9781781312346,
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Aurum},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Bike! A Tribute to the World's
Greatest Cycling Designers},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 2014
}

@book{cykelbok,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Staffan Skott},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {91-550-3942-1},
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Tiden},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Cykelbok},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 1994
}

@book{praktisch-fietsboek,
¬ ¬ author¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Rob van der Plas},
¬ ¬ ISBN¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {90 274 9848 2},
¬ ¬ publisher¬ = {Spectrum},
¬ ¬ title¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = {Praktisch Fietsboek},
¬ ¬ year¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ = 1984
}



You might consider a review of basic principles and prior
art besides consumer 'how to' books:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?k...&hs.x=0&hs.y=0



You are not wrong. John Forester is an asshole

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.c...is-an-asshole/





He may well be, but he's right about many things too.
Who among us is right all the time? Not me anyway.

c.f. Sen Joe McCarthy, a consummate asshole by anyone's
measure, who was largely proven right by The Venona Papers
in 1993.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #24  
Old March 13th 18, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,137
Default rim notation

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 06:26:54 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Why don't you and Liebermann write one?


I have written a book. It isn't that easy.

(Started in 1995, spent a few hours on it today.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
  #25  
Old March 13th 18, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default rim notation

AMuzi wrote:
On 3/12/2018 2:44 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/03/18 14:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2018 11:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, have you
considered buying a book?


You don't really think a lack of paper, pencils, or posters is the
problem[1], do you?

These are the ones I have acquired or borrowed
from the public library. The road bike books
obviously don't cover the Torpedo rear hub, and
the Swedish books are mechanically at a lower
level than that, the Dutch one maybe covers it
but I don't read the language - it has some
good illos tho so I wouldn't rule it out.
"Effective cycling" I gave up on as it was so
boring to read with very few illustrations and
a tiresome focus on policy/traffic issues which
I can't influence anyway.

^^^^^^^^^
Bingo. This fits the classic definition of "idiot."

[list of books]


You might consider a review of basic principles and prior
art besides consumer 'how to' books:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?k...&hs.x=0&hs.y=0


A new edition is merely 1.3 pounds? Won't fix a SWEloi's wetware issue even
if you directly hurl it at his cranium. Maybe if you bundle it with a
hardcover Sutherland's, an old Siegfrid & Fritz
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/3870730145/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
and
https://www.adlibris.com/se/bok/tabellenbuch-fahrradtechnik-9783808523346


You are not wrong. John Forester is an asshole

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.c...is-an-asshole/


A quick check shows that the mob at that site even resort to misrepresenting
the deadly accidents they link to. Zero credibility.

He may well be, but he's right about many things too.
Who among us is right all the time? Not me anyway.


To millennial snowflakes who have never learned to properly drive or ride,
anyone surviving vehicular cycling as long as Forester has will
automatically look like an a.


--
"With some clients, make sure to collect upfront before giving free advice."

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irSwMr9Zxs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vlr-J9Sbww
  #26  
Old March 13th 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 931
Default rim notation

Joy Beeson wrote:

Why don't you and Liebermann write one?


I have written a book. It isn't that easy.

(Started in 1995, spent a few hours on
it today.)


I have also written one [1]. I know we have
a novel written on the list as well. No one said
its supposed to be easy

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/borta/

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #27  
Old March 13th 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 931
Default rim notation

I have also written one [1]. I know we have
a novel written


*writer

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #28  
Old March 13th 18, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 174
Default rim notation

On 13/03/2018 6:32 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/12/2018 2:44 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/03/18 14:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/11/2018 11:55 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, have you
considered buying a book?


You don't really think a lack of paper, pencils, or posters is the
problem[1], do you?

These are the ones I have acquired or borrowed
from the public library. The road bike books
obviously don't cover the Torpedo rear hub, and
the Swedish books are mechanically at a lower
level than that, the Dutch one maybe covers it
but I don't read the language - it has some
good illos tho so I wouldn't rule it out.
"Effective cycling" I gave up on as it was so
boring to read with very few illustrations and
a tiresome focus on policy/traffic issues which
I can't influence anyway.

^^^^^^^^^
Bingo. This fits the classic definition of "idiot."

[list of books]


You might consider a review of basic principles and prior
art besides consumer 'how to' books:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?k...&hs.x=0&hs.y=0


A new edition is merely 1.3 pounds? Won't fix a SWEloi's wetware issue even
if you directly hurl it at his cranium. Maybe if you bundle it with a
hardcover Sutherland's, an old Siegfrid & Fritz
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/3870730145/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
and
https://www.adlibris.com/se/bok/tabellenbuch-fahrradtechnik-9783808523346


You are not wrong. John Forester is an asshole

https://waronthemotorist.wordpress.c...is-an-asshole/


A quick check shows that the mob at that site even resort to misrepresenting
the deadly accidents they link to. Zero credibility.

He may well be, but he's right about many things too.
Who among us is right all the time? Not me anyway.


To millennial snowflakes who have never learned to properly drive or ride,
anyone surviving vehicular cycling as long as Forester has will
automatically look like an a.



Maybe but it's not just millennial snowflakes that find Forester's
penchant to reject out of hand anything but his own solution to be flawed.

Case in point, the idea that adding something to trucks to keep cyclists
and pedestrians from getting under the wheels. We've had several deaths
in Montreal directly related to this.

One can sit on their pompous ass and blame the cyclist or pedestrians
for not reading their book. But putting barriers on trucks isn't a bad
idea. Nor is improved visibility. We have the tech to use cameras and
proximity alerts on my Toyota but not on an 18 wheeler? Doesn't make
much sense to be against these things in my opinion.


  #29  
Old March 13th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 931
Default rim notation

Sepp Ruf wrote:

I can't influence anyway.


Bingo. This fits the classic definition of
"idiot."


*plonk*

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #30  
Old March 13th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,053
Default rim notation

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 11:02:16 AM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 13/03/2018 6:32 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

To millennial snowflakes who have never learned to properly drive or ride,
anyone surviving vehicular cycling as long as Forester has will
automatically look like an a.



Maybe but it's not just millennial snowflakes that find Forester's
penchant to reject out of hand anything but his own solution to be flawed.

Case in point, the idea that adding something to trucks to keep cyclists
and pedestrians from getting under the wheels. We've had several deaths
in Montreal directly related to this.

One can sit on their pompous ass and blame the cyclist or pedestrians
for not reading their book. But putting barriers on trucks isn't a bad
idea. Nor is improved visibility. We have the tech to use cameras and
proximity alerts on my Toyota but not on an 18 wheeler? Doesn't make
much sense to be against these things in my opinion.


Does Forester really reject the idea of putting side guards on trucks? I doubt
it. I believe his logic is more like the following:

Cyclists occasionally get killed when they are right hooked by a large truck.
When that happens, the immediate cause of death is usually that the rear
wheels of the truck or its trailer smash the cyclist. Yes, it's a problem.

So how should a cyclist avoid that fate? One way would be to begin the lobbying
process to create a state law mandating side guards on all such trucks and
trailers. That will be opposed by the trucking industry, so it will involve
a long fight. If we start now, installation may being in, oh, five years if
we're lucky. And it's likely to apply only to new trucks, so old ones will be
running around unguarded for maybe 20 more years.

And the side guards won't be perfect - not even close. Because of the necessary
ground clearance, the guards will still fail some cyclists. In other words, the
cyclists wanting to avoid that fate will not be saved by this strategy for a
long time, if ever.

On the other hand, if a cyclist wants to avoid that fate, he could learn to
avoid getting into a right hook situation. He could drop the fantasy that a
bike lane - even a "protected bike lane" - constitutes an impenetrable barrier.

Neither of these strategies will protect the ignorant cyclists. But when
Forester talks about avoiding these right hooks, he's trying to reduce the
number of ignorant cyclists. The cyclists that really learn this will be much,
much safer.

One way to teach the lesson is to note, after one of these fatalities, that the
cyclist did make a mistake. Of course, many people castigate that as "victim
blaming." So instead of teaching, they promote fantasy solutions.

That's nuts.

I imagine what those people would have done if they'd been math teachers:
"Johnny, you said 2+2=5. I don't want to hurt your self esteem, so I'm going to
do what I can to make two plus two actually equal five. No need to thank me!
I just want to make the world a better place for everyone!"

- Frank Krygowski
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English tire width notation Emanuel Berg[_2_] Techniques 7 February 23rd 18 05:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.