Daytime running lights

Old February 12th 08, 03:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann[_2_]

Default Daytime running lights

Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nlights110.xml

unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.

'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

Martin.
Old February 12th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bornfree

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...08/02/10/nligh...

unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.

'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

Martin.

What utter madness.

I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
visibility. It's called the sun.
Old February 12th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robert so n

bornfree wrote:
[...]

From what I understand, some bus companies already instruct their
drivers to drive with dipped lights during the day. It is claimed to
reduce accidents by something like 20%. I guess that on balance it might
save lives but, taking our case in isolation, it might not be good for
cyclists.

Brian.
Old February 12th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann[_2_]

In message
bornfree wrote:

[...]

The problem is not cycling around at midday in sunny June. It is travelling
(esp. urban areas) on a dull Feburary afternoon, when there are lots of
vehicles all with lights on which are brighter than the ambient light.

Looking in the direction of the vehicles you mostly see a mass of lights, to
the detriment of anything else, e.g. pedestrians, and road
markings/furniture. I find when vehicles light up too early, it reduces
visibility.
IMHO the reason many people put their lights on too early is due to volvos
and saab using DRLs

Martin.

Old February 12th 08, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_3_]

Martin Dann wrote:

bornfree wrote:
Martin Dann wrote:

[...]

Driving manuals used to suggest early lighting-up for years before the
introduction of The Volvo With The Permanently-On Lights (c.1975?).
Old February 12th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:51:44 GMT someone who may be Martin Dann
wrote this:-

Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nlights110.xml

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

What do your MEPs have to say about this? The office of one of mine
are looking into it, but didn't sound too happy if the story is
correct.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old February 12th 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Martin Dann wrote:
Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nlights110.xml

unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.

'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

It will be worse if they mandate use of dipped headlights by cars not
fitted with DRLs. Besides anything else, there's an effect on fuel
consumption (significant at a national level) and CO2 emissions. Worse,
on my car the aerodynamics are badly affected by having the headlamps on
because it has large pop-ups.
Old February 13th 08, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_3_]

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Martin Dann wrote:
Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nlights110.xml

unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more
hazardous
for us.

It will be worse if they mandate use of dipped headlights by cars not
fitted with DRLs.

They've done that in Italy (only outside towns).

It might be the most-complied-with traffic rule the Italians have.

I always forget...