Anyone using a Polar monitor with a none Polar USB IrDA interface?

Old July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
iddqdATworldonline.dk

Default Anyone using a Polar monitor with a none Polar USB IrDA interface?

The other day I decied to bite the bullet and shell out for a Polar S720
plus an extra speed kit to my road bike (my LBS made me a offer I could
not refuse that included a RaceFace seat post and a RaceFace carbon
handle bar - pretty sweet!).

But so far I'm not to impressed with the whole thing. I had problems
fitting the sensor and wheel magnet on my roadbike with it's flat carbon
fork and flat carbon spokes (It's a Giant TCR-TEAM with Mike Burrows
carbon blade spoke wheels), theese details was solved by my LBS
supplying an none Polar magnet and a little creative use of rubber on my
part. Why Polar doesn't supply something that fits with carbon forks out
the box I don't get and carbon spokes aren't that rare either.

However there is a much worse problem since I can't bring the S720 to
interface with my PC, I'm guessing it could be because I have a none
Polar USB+IrDA adapter and I could just shell out the extra cash and get
the real one but I'd rather not due to having enough cables on my desk
allready (USB to camera, USB to MP3, USB to mouse).

When trying to connect in the PPP program it just gives me a "Uable to
find COM port" or something along thoose lines even though it's
configured to use USB:-(

PC configuration:

WinXP Pro (With all the latest patches)
PPP program latest version 4.00.023
Longshine USB-IrDA Adapter (LCS-8141)
(http://www.longshine.de/pdf/8141.pdf)

All help appriciated.

Kind regards

Bruno

Old July 14th 03, 09:32 PM
Carla A-G

"iddqdATworldonline.dk" wrote in message
The other day I decied to bite the bullet and shell out for a Polar S720
plus an extra speed kit to my road bike (my LBS made me a offer I could
not refuse that included a RaceFace seat post and a RaceFace carbon
handle bar - pretty sweet!).

snip

The ultimate solution to your problem...ditch the contraption and just
ride...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 15th 03, 12:40 AM
iddqdATworldonline.dk

Carla A-G wrote:

The ultimate solution to your problem...ditch the contraption and just
ride...

:-)

Well you are right of course but still - messing with ride data gives me
something to do in between rides, that is when I'm not out making money
to feed my bikes with replacements and upgrades:-)

Regards

Bruno

Old July 15th 03, 12:45 AM
iddqdATworldonline.dk

John Harlow wrote:
I tried several standard IR ports on various computers and OSes with my S720
to no avail. I eventually bought the Polar IR reader off ebay and it works
fine.

Pretty irritating to pay that much for a HRM only to have it use a
nonstandard IR interface.

Exactly - I fear I'll have to go the same way just bothers me Polar says
it should work while every info I can find on the net says that with it
only does so in Win95/98/ME. That is unless you get a third party
program ($17) that makes a virtual com-port to your IrDA so it acts like
on 95/98/ME which apparently is what the PPP program needs, it seems the
box for the Polar should say Win2000/XP only when using Polar IR
interface:-(

Kind regards

Bruno

Old July 15th 03, 02:18 PM
Carla A-G

"JD" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the interjection Mini-Me, but my answer was going to have them

ask C3PO.

Watch out Chewbacca, I just might bite you in the ankle...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!