Lance A Dud This Year

Old July 26th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Big Jim

Default Lance A Dud This Year

I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . I'm not impressed with him at all
Old July 26th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jul 26, 9:45*am, Big Jim wrote:
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. *He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . *I'm not impressed with him at all

Good trollbait. I'll play.

Yep, the old Lance would have attacked today and if that didn't work
he would have an assassin take out Contrador and Andy Schleck.

Old July 26th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On Jul 26, 3:45*pm, Big Jim wrote:
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. *He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . *I'm not impressed with him at all

Well, when Joop Zoetemelk won in 1980 everyone was amazed that he
could do so aged 34, Lance was 33 when he had his last Tour win and
that was quite something too. If you really expected a 37 year old
(going on 38) with hardly any real racing miles in his legs to just go
out and win the most coveted cycle race of the year, then I suggest
you get back in your space ship and zoom off back to whatever planet
you came from my friend 'cos you sure as hell don't belong here on
Planet Earth...

UD
Old July 26th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Jul 26, 7:51*am, Anton Berlin wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:45*am, Big Jim wrote:

I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. *He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . *I'm not impressed with him at all

Good trollbait. *I'll play.

Yep, the old Lance would have attacked today and if that didn't work
he would have an assassin take out Contrador and Andy Schleck.

Armstrong hasn't lost yet. He will only lose after the last
retroactive dope test is performed on Contador's ans Schleck's urine
and the last CAS decision is made.
Old July 26th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

On Jul 26, 9:45 am, Big Jim wrote:

I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . I'm not impressed with him at all

Good trollbait. I'll play.

Yep, the old Lance would have attacked today and if that didn't work
he would have an assassin take out Contrador and Andy Schleck.

Armstrong hasn't lost yet. He will only lose after the last
retroactive dope test is performed on Contador's ans Schleck's urine
and the last CAS decision is made.

Realistically, Lance is done. He'll never win another tour unless Andy and
Albert get injured for the whole year, and even then it's very iffy. There
are others who could give Lance a hard time. Lance doesn't have anywhere
near the spark that Bartali had at 38. Lance says he riding for Cancer which
is fine, but I can't imagine him coming back next year for another tour, too
painful to watch. The most epic stage on paper this year was won by who? Ah,
too painful to watch. I'm surprised they weren't trading barbecue recipes on
that climb.

Old July 26th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Big Jim" wrote in message
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . I'm not impressed with him at all

Your knowledge of bicycle racing is astounding - _that_ is what's most
impressive here.

-S-

Old July 27th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

On Jul 26, 9:45 am, Big Jim wrote:

[...]

Whom. Garate.

Ah,
too painful to watch. I'm surprised they weren't trading barbecue recipes on
that climb.

Yes, Contador and Schleck would have dropped him had they
gone harder. Nevertheless only Armstrong kept up at the
pace they dictated. Armstrong earned the bottom step.

--
Michael Press
Old July 27th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Jul 26, 7:45*am, Big Jim wrote:
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. *He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . *I'm not impressed with him at all

I thought he rode incredibly well, considering his age and his lack of
preparation. What I wasn't impressed with were all the younger riders
like Cadel, Sastre, Pereiro, Menchov, etc., who constantly made
excuses for their performances and couldn't beat a self-proclaimed
"old fart" who only had a year of hard riding in his legs after a 3
year layoff. Only two guys managed to beat him, and if circumstances
had been slightly different, only one guy would have.

I'll say it again - I don't like Lance that much, but I can respect
him for both his accomplishments and the good he does for cancer
patients. If you don't, that's your choice.

Brad Anders
Old July 27th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Paul B. Anders wrote:
On Jul 26, 7:45 am, Big Jim wrote:
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . I'm not impressed with him at all

I thought he rode incredibly well, considering his age and his lack of
preparation. What I wasn't impressed with were all the younger riders
like Cadel, Sastre, Pereiro, Menchov, etc., who constantly made
excuses for their performances and couldn't beat a self-proclaimed
"old fart" who only had a year of hard riding in his legs after a 3
year layoff. Only two guys managed to beat him, and if circumstances
had been slightly different, only one guy would have.

I'll say it again - I don't like Lance that much, but I can respect
him for both his accomplishments and the good he does for cancer
patients. If you don't, that's your choice.

Brad Anders

I, too, felt that Lance rode a remarkable race. But I think his
preparation is far more extensive than you seem to. Also, the race
doesn't handicap, so to me if you can enter the race at age 65, that's
your business and you takes your chances.

Contrary to popular sentiment that his three year "layoff" inhibited his
potential, there could be an upside. Compare him to a Hincapie who is on
his 16th consecutive season and just finished his 14th consecutive Tour.
I think there may be a "rested, tanned, and ready" factor. On the other
hand, despite the "40 is the new 30" quips, you can't fool Mother Nature.
Old July 27th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Jul 26, 7:45*am, Big Jim wrote:
I guess his style of "just riding along" didnt help him this year with
some real talented riders in this Tour. *He not once attempt to
explode and win a stage . *I'm not impressed with him at all

It will be interesting to see if Lance decides to do anymore euro pro
races this year...?