Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 6th 11, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

Default Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

SMS wrote:
On 8/6/2011 10:50 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
I'd like the same in the city. I hate queuing
up behind long lines of hot, exhaust spewing vehicles jammed curb to
curb.

That's a big advantage of a bike lane, you go to the front rather than
sit stuck behind a line of cars.

I'd like to take a little space from the road hogs. Ideally, I'd
like my own signals, or even signal timings, and I'd like exemptions
from traffic controls along the lines of "Idaho stops". I'd like to see
a reduction in urban areas from the default thickly settled speed limit
of 30 mph to a more reasonable 20. Simple stuff that would make cycling
safer, more pleasant and more convenient.

All good ideas. Turning stop signs into yield signs for bicyclists on
low speed roads would be a big help.

Sure, that would remove some of the extraneous pedestrians,
but it might cost something to clear the bodies from the street.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/