Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

Old October 28th 05, 12:07 PM
dave

Default Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerousonroad

D Walford wrote:
dave wrote:

D Walford wrote:

dave wrote:

Stock.. there is stock?
Anytime you wanna line up a motokhana course?

When I bought mine in about 1971 it still had cross ply tyres,
fitting radials ruined my sideways fun on the way to work:-)
I used to do motorkhana's in the Sprite way back when, I might do OK
in the Hilux if it was on wet dirt and I was allowed to used 4WD:-)

Daryl

I,m picking that their is a reason I have never seen a Hilux on a
motorkhana. Still I am always happy to watch.

Might be their crappy turning circle:-)

you think

A bloke in the car club I was in had a very old Peugot which was an
excellent motorkhana car because it had an amazing turning circle, the
front wheel could be turned at almost 90deg to the body, he could make a
mistake and get away with it turning it like a forklift:-)

Daryl

Actualy evil exes father who worked for fords test department once told
me that the best car he had ever driven was a peugot a 504 I think .
Old October 28th 05, 01:22 PM
Kev

Birdman wrote:

I only ever drove 2 DAFs, didnt like em, but then I was coming out of
a W model Kenworth,

You poor bugger
Kenworth, where you get a sun tan on BOTH arms

I hate them

and used to the bonnet, and going cabover and wide
cab was different..

For the work I do, getting in and out of servos is a **** load easier
with a cab over that had good forward visability, ie: a European cabover
and I love lots of room, nothing worse than trying to put stuff in a
tiny cab

Kev
Old October 28th 05, 01:36 PM
Kev

D Walford wrote:

dave wrote:

Stock.. there is stock?
Anytime you wanna line up a motokhana course?

When I bought mine in about 1971 it still had cross ply tyres, fitting
radials ruined my sideways fun on the way to work:-)

My first car was a John Goss Special 72 TC Cortina
some fool had fitted crossply tyres before I bought it

2V 6 with 2 bbl carb in a light car on crossplies

that was fun
coming up around the top bend on the D'agular range in the wet would
usually see the rear hanging out a bit
used to pull burnouts into 4th gear in the toploader and still be moving
slower than walking pace
and that was on a dry road

$5 each for replacements from the wreckers
untill the day they had none left and I had to go buy some new tyre
so I got some wide radials

Kev
Old October 28th 05, 01:41 PM
Kev

Yeah, you're right, feck 'em all. That's what aggressive tread patterns are
for anyway...stops you breaking traction in a dangerous fashion due to
puddles of viscera.

Nahh they are hopeless for that
gets good grip in the boney bits tho

Kev
Old October 28th 05, 11:04 PM
Plodder

"Rainbow Warrior" wrote in message
"Plodder" CORNED BEEF@NOSPAM wrote in message

"Rainbow Warrior" wrote in message

SNIP STUFF THAT MAKESTHIS TOO LONG

Funny enough car owners also get defensive when their toys are
questioned.
Seems to support all the hoon articles by your logic.

Agreed, but this thread isn't about the hoons, it's about 4WDs not being
used for their purpose. As I've stated in other threads, I've owned 4WDs
when I've needed them. Now I live in the burbs I can't for the life of

me
see why I need a 2 1/2 tonne 'Cruiser to get my shopping home. No

argument
with 4WDers using their vehicles off-road, even just occasionally.
Defensiveness gets up my nose in general. That includes those who get
defensive about their cars, bikes, 4WDs or their choice of dog - I don't
care - it's the defensive wall that bugs me.

As opposed to those that don't give a sh%t or encourage you to criticise
their car, car, bike, 4wd, dog or GF?

Yep to those who don't give a sh!t. At least they are the ones who don't
treat me as something special when I'm on my bike - I'm just a part of the
traffic - and that's how I'd like it to be. As a cyclist I don't want to be
treated any differently from other traffic. It's part of the normalisation
of bikes on the road.

WRT to those who "...encourage you to criticise their car, car, bike, 4wd,
dog or GF?" There we go with the binary thinking again? That's like saying
to a waiter, "This soup's too cold." and the Waiter replying, "I suppose you
want it scalding hot, then?". What's wrong with a balance?

Frank

Old October 28th 05, 11:13 PM
Plodder

"Birdman" wrote in message
. That's what we do and it works fine.

here we go again, someone telling other people how to run their
lives..

Suggesting... you left out the "Why not let..." bit. If you're going to
quote someone it's useful to do it in context. Phhht.... tinkle... "what as
that?" "your credibility flying out the window..."

Besides, when your life impacts on mine I have a right to comment.

We're all paying the price for increased oil demand. Imagine how much that
demand would decrease if people walked or ride to the shop or kids made
their own way to school. That's not to mention the better air quality and
all the other impacts of fossil fuel use. We'd even have enough fossil fuels
left to support all the other aspects of our reliance on fossil fuels for a
great deal longer than currently predicted.

Frank

Old October 28th 05, 11:18 PM
fasgnadh

Resound wrote:
"Noons" wrote in message
oups.com...

Resound wrote:

It's still demonstrates a mentality that says "screw you, I'm ok".

Unfortunately that is exactly what some of them think;

So what? Oh, you are a charity promoter now? What,
you wanna tell me this is not what this society has turned to?
Yeah. Right...

No, I'm someone who actually recognises the fact that we all live in a
community, not a series of opportunities for personal gain with no
responsibilities to anyone else. To suggest that you shouldn't be held
accountable for your choices and actions would be laughable if it wasn't
disturbing. You wouldn't (I hope) wander through a crowd holding your elbows
up at face height and suggest that anyone who happens to walk into your
elbows should have watched where they were going. No, you keep your hands by
your sides and look around yourself like everyone else. The sane basic
obligations apply on the road.

Old October 29th 05, 01:09 AM
Eunometic

Resound wrote:
"Eunometic" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rainbow Warrior wrote:
"TimC" wrote in
message
On 2005-10-25, Eunometic (aka Bruce)
Ofcourse the people who buy an SUV like my sister wanted the
following:
1 Seating for 7: 5 adults and foldout seats for 2 teenagers or small
adults in the back.

Minivan.

A SUV if you use US definition and should be banned.

Funny I've lost count of the number of times I've noticed "safer" "high
performance" "superior handling" vehicles not staying in their own lane,
when your pushing hard through a windy mountain road crossing double
yellow
lines on every corner and there's a slinky suspension 76 Range Rover on
your
tail that is staying on the right side of the road, doesn't it highlight
something?
Many of them can't keep between 2 lines in a parking space, yet I manage
fit my oversized Patrol in the same spots just fine.

This is just prejudice and nonsense. I've seen idiots in 'pocket
rocket' hatch backs (particularly chicks), utes, motorcyles, bicyles,
4WD and AWD, lowered jap fast cars, volvos etc behace anti-socially.
Everyone has a pet hate.

Your pet hate is 4WD and SUVs because you style yourself as morally
superior "green" by denigrating all people who choose such vehicles.
Greenies are tragically often simply shallow 'status seekers' as much
as anyone. The idea of being morally righteous and arrogant 'holier
than thou' is the real driver. I'll admit that there are a few
'arrogant pigs' who choose a 'truck' to bully people around but they
are quite rare.

As far as I can see the 4WD and AWD is here to stay. Infact it is very
likely that future electric and hybrid vehicles will be all wheel drive
types since this allows great increases in regenerative braking power.
So far the weakness of batteries in accepting regenerative braking has
limited this but the development of new batteries based on
nanoparticles (by toshiba), maxwell hypercapacitors is about to change
matters.

BMW has tested a 'electrically supercharged' AWD SUV that uses
hypercapacitors and an electric motors to achieve AWD, 15% better fuel
efficiency and an enormous increase in low speed acceleration.

Individual control of both the acceleration, braking and regeneration
of each wheel in concert with electronic stabillity programms is going
to be very helpfull as far as safety and handling is concerned.

If I thought there was no alternative to both greenhouse and traffic
I'd demand that we switch to electric gold buggy vehicles to get around
the suburbs and 40km/h.

AWD, particularly on electric vehicles makes enormous sense. There's a
difference between AWD and offroad though. Something like a Subaru GX sedan
(baby non-turbo brother to the WRX) makes a lot of sense. A 2½ ton truck
doesn't. I'm perplexed by proud happy claims that someone has managed to
make a hybrid SUV which has fuel efficiency figures almost as good as a
conventional sedan.

BMW used the Chasis of their X5 which in itself is derived from the 5
series. It was simply easier to use an existing AWD vehicle since the
mechanicals were already there.

SUV's provide space (most are 'station waggons') for carrying business
loads and pleasure in say camping trips while they also provide the of
road and snow/ice capabillity to make them sporty.

I'm not sure that they will be any less efficient than a normal car for
the same size and weight. In all likelyhood many future AWD and 4WD
vehicles will have electric motors installed directly in the wheels or
they will have seperate motors for each wheel.

Put the same tech into a conventional car, get the same
savings over a far smaller base figure and I'll be much more impressed. It's
the issues surrounding battery life and disposal that make me question
hybrids at the moment.

Even present car starter batteries have an effective 100% recyling
rate.

Once they sort those questions, I'll be very
interested.

Old October 29th 05, 06:44 AM
Dan---

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:50:22 +1000, D Walford wrote:

I have not driven an ACCO for a long time but I remember driving an old
Acco prime mover which had a IH big block Petrol V8 but I almost always
cried each time I saw a hill coming up! It sounded great but it was bloody
gutless and Jesus did it drink!.

I've always thought of big trucks with petrol engines as a bit of a joke.
Might be OK for light work and LPG is a lot cheaper than diesel.

Turbo diesel all the way for trucks like that Petrol/LPG no thanks just
they don't have any grunt. Although the one I drove had a front mounted
exhaust system (in front of the front axle) so you could hear every
crackle and pop. :-)

--
Regards
Dan
Old October 30th 05, 09:51 PM
LotteBum

Peka wrote:

Yep MTBDirt. Were you sledging MTB riders too much?

Nah... I was just being a nuisance I guess. I've been riding MTB since
1997, so I'm hardly going to sledge MTB riders. I think I started the
longest ever thread on that site. Hehehe!

Lotte

--
LotteBum