Ritchey off centre rims

Old April 15th 05, 12:55 PM
gary

Default Ritchey off centre rims

Hi
I have these rims on my Specialized A1 Pro Rockhopper, however find that all
the tyres i get for the bike are a pain to get off the rim.
I use steel tyre levers & after i've got the tyre off, my hands feel like
they've been through a workout!, luckily i've not yet had to change a tube
on the trail, but this would be very hard!
An old tyre i changed actually tore which was ok as it was old, but the
amount of pressure on the tyre when the tyre levers are inserted is immense.
Does anyone else have trouble with such rims!!
Cheers
Gaz

Old April 15th 05, 01:50 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , gary
') wrote:

Hi
I have these rims on my Specialized A1 Pro Rockhopper, however find
that all the tyres i get for the bike are a pain to get off the rim.
I use steel tyre levers & after i've got the tyre off, my hands feel
like they've been through a workout!, luckily i've not yet had to
change a tube on the trail, but this would be very hard!

Don't use steel levers with aluminium rims, you tend to knacker the
rims. Although it's supposed to be a standard not all rims (and not all
tyres) are exactly the same size, so if you're having trouble it might
be worth experimenting with other makes of tyre.

[ Disclaimer:Â*Â*ThisÂ*isÂ*aÂ*workÂ*displacementÂ*ex ercise.Â*Â*PleaseÂ*feelÂ*free ]
[ to reply either on or off group.Â*Â*ExpectÂ*lengthyÂ*repliesÂ*untilÂ*the ]
[ deadline has passed.Â*Â*Thank-youÂ*forÂ*yourÂ*cooperation. ]
Old April 15th 05, 01:55 PM
LSMike

"gary" wrote in message
Hi
I have these rims on my Specialized A1 Pro Rockhopper, however find that
all
the tyres i get for the bike are a pain to get off the rim.
I use steel tyre levers & after i've got the tyre off, my hands feel like
they've been through a workout!, luckily i've not yet had to change a tube
on the trail, but this would be very hard!
An old tyre i changed actually tore which was ok as it was old, but the
amount of pressure on the tyre when the tyre levers are inserted is
immense.
Does anyone else have trouble with such rims!!
Cheers
Gaz

After a few motorcycle tyres your perception may change.

Old April 15th 05, 06:10 PM
gary

Cheers, i've used many tyres on these rims & all have been a pain to remove!
I had a rear mavic rim & that was ok, guess i should change rims!!
Simon Brooke wrote in message
in message , gary
') wrote:

Hi
I have these rims on my Specialized A1 Pro Rockhopper, however find
that all the tyres i get for the bike are a pain to get off the rim.
I use steel tyre levers & after i've got the tyre off, my hands feel
like they've been through a workout!, luckily i've not yet had to
change a tube on the trail, but this would be very hard!

Don't use steel levers with aluminium rims, you tend to knacker the
rims. Although it's supposed to be a standard not all rims (and not all
tyres) are exactly the same size, so if you're having trouble it might
be worth experimenting with other makes of tyre.

[ Disclaimer: This is a work displacement exercise. Please feel free ]
[ to reply either on or off group. Expect lengthy replies until the ]
[ deadline has passed. Thank-you for your cooperation. ]

Old April 15th 05, 10:37 PM
Mark Thompson

Cheers, i've used many tyres on these rims & all have been a pain to
remove! I had a rear mavic rim & that was ok, guess i should change
rims!!

Stupid question, but are you using all three tyre levers?

URL:http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml

Took me _ages_ to do it before I read that.
Old April 16th 05, 11:38 AM
gary

I insert 1 lever & due to the tightness of the rim, i have to put the next
one in right next to it & gradually work along till i can pull the tyre
around.So 2 stay in & the other one i use to try & pull the tyre off!
62.202...

Old April 16th 05, 12:57 PM
DavidR

gary wrote:
Hi
I have these rims on my Specialized A1 Pro Rockhopper, however find that all
the tyres i get for the bike are a pain to get off the rim.
I use steel tyre levers & after i've got the tyre off, my hands feel like
they've been through a workout!, luckily i've not yet had to change a tube
on the trail, but this would be very hard!
An old tyre i changed actually tore which was ok as it was old, but the
amount of pressure on the tyre when the tyre levers are inserted is immense.
Does anyone else have trouble with such rims!!

They do seem to be difficult compared to others. When you get the first
lever in and taking the strain, run your fingers all round the tyre to
break the bead off the rim hooks and drop the tyre into the well. Also
push the valve into the tyre. Then try the next lever.

When fitting a tyre this can help because the bead can catch the hooks
before the last bit is in place or the tyre is sitting on top of the
valve. Again, do it while taking the strain with a lever.