100% Wooden Bicycle

Old January 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

Default 100% Wooden Bicycle

Wow... Everything is made from only wood and glue, including the chain
and even a freewheel:

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...3/article1.htm

Probably not a practical bicycle but quite a piece of woodworking for
a 16-year old.

Regards,
Anthony
Old January 23rd 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 23, 12:06 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
Wow... Everything is made from only wood and glue, including the chain
and even a freewheel:

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...3/article1.htm

Probably not a practical bicycle but quite a piece of woodworking for
a 16-year old.

Regards,
Anthony

That is a young man that really has the potential to go somewhere with
his life.

I enjoyed reading the writeup, too.

Thanks.

Lewis.

*****
Old January 23rd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:06:46 -0800 (PST), Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:

Wow... Everything is made from only wood and glue, including the chain
and even a freewheel:

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...3/article1.htm

Probably not a practical bicycle but quite a piece of woodworking for
a 16-year old.

Regards,
Anthony

Dear Anthony,

A previous 25-cent version of the wooden bicycle was built in 1896 by
a 14-year-old boy with less impressive woodworking tools and skills.

A perforated leather belt and some sort of sprockets had to be added,
but otherwise the two-bit bike pleased the editors of "Scientific
American," who rode it up and down the office:
http://i15.tinypic.com/6jyivz4.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 23rd 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron George

wrote:
Wow... Everything is made from only wood and glue, including the chain
and even a freewheel:

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters...3/article1.htm

Probably not a practical bicycle but quite a piece of woodworking for
a 16-year old.

Regards,
Anthony

Dear Anthony,

A previous 25-cent version of the wooden bicycle was built in 1896 by
a 14-year-old boy with less impressive woodworking tools and skills.

A perforated leather belt and some sort of sprockets had to be added,
but otherwise the two-bit bike pleased the editors of "Scientific
American," who rode it up and down the office:
http://i15.tinypic.com/6jyivz4.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl,

I'm amazed that they used leather belts back then... belt drives are
slowly creeping into the industry in single speed applications.
However, this looks more sound than having a wooden belt in the
previous case. I wonder how much Marco Facciola (sounds Italian) rode
on it.

Ron
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com
Old January 23rd 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron George

wrote:
[...]

Not to forget mentioning that the boy must have been really skilled to
crave the chain links to dimension, and replicate a lot of them.
Cool...
Old January 23rd 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote:
[...]

I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.
-tom

Old January 23rd 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Nakashima" wrote: I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Come on! If you want to start a war, why don't you ask whether he wore a
wooden helmet?

Old January 23rd 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Tom Nakashima" wrote: I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Come on! If you want to start a war, why don't you ask whether he wore a
wooden helmet?

Did he wear a wooden helmet?
Don't take any wooden nickels Leo ;-)
-tom

Old January 23rd 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Ron George wrote:
I'm amazed that they used leather belts back then... belt drives are
slowly creeping into the industry in single speed applications.
However, this looks more sound than having a wooden belt in the
previous case. I wonder how much Marco Facciola (sounds Italian) rode
on it.

"Ron George" wrote

Tom Nakashima wrote:
I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.

Is there a 12-step program for those who crave chain links?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 23rd 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 23 Gen, 20:50, Ron George wrote:
I wonder how much Marco Facciola (sounds Italian) rode
on it.

Yes, it is an Italian name.

I wonder what woodworking tools, what woods and what glues he has
used. Is there a more detailed account of it, or Marco's @-mail
address to ask him?
And, boy, that bike has got to be noisy to ride.

By the way, what brake blocks, or coaster brake, did he install?
Have I missed the details.

Just prior to WWII a very expert cabinet maker in my hometown made an
(almost all) wooden bike which he actually rode around town quite a
while, as my father told me. I have been able to admire that bike a
few years ago: a wonderful achievement, but he was a very refined
professional of the art.

Sergio
Pisa

yet another wooden bicycle Kerry Montgomery Techniques 3 August 17th 07 01:05 AM
more wooden bikes Kerry Montgomery Techniques 9 June 15th 07 08:54 PM
wooden bike [email protected] Techniques 18 July 16th 06 12:22 AM
Wooden Uni Cubby Unicycling 12 April 21st 05 02:00 PM
Wooden rims Chris Hughes Techniques 18 February 16th 05 08:22 PM