Update on USPS Global Priority (Airmail)

Old October 10th 03, 08:31 AM
Laurence Dodd

Default Update on USPS Global Priority (Airmail)

I received my new Cateye Stadium 3 bikelight system from Bikeman.com
It was delivered this morning by the usual package delivery guy in the white
van.

It only cost Aus$611.33 and that includes US$40 for freight and insurance,
the light cost US$369.95

I didn't even have to pay GST or customs clearance. Now I have to get a
US/Aus mains adaptor plug.

The battery was already charged, the light is bloody bright (has a blue
hue), it lights up a dark room, and it should since its advertised at
equivalent to 80watts.

The best price for the Stadium 3 I could get around here was $910 from my
LBS, or about $850 if I got one from New Zealand. Otherwise you pay at
least $1000. I just hope the unit lasts a long time and the light always
runs for the three hours it is advertised to run.

Problem now is I have to carry one of my water bottles in my backpack so I
can have the light battery pack in the bottle cage.

Regards,
Laurence Dodd.

Old October 10th 03, 12:37 PM
Mike

Laurence Dodd wrote:
I received my new Cateye Stadium 3 bikelight system from Bikeman.com

It only cost Aus$611.33 and that includes US$40 for freight and insurance,

You ... spent ... $600 ... on a bike light !!!????

Don't you think there is something a little obscene about that?

And it uses a NiMH battery! Isnt that a bit like getting a porsche
and finding it has solid rubber tyres?

Fer christ sake, ditch the el-cheapo boat-anchor battery and get a
LiIon. About $200 for a 8-cell 60WHr model.

Old October 10th 03, 11:17 PM
John L

$200 for a battery, that's obscene :-)

Funnny how different people have different priorities. You have to
smile when Mike criticises a bloke for spending $600 on lights, then
suggests he spends another $200 :-)

John L

Old October 12th 03, 11:18 AM
Mike

John L wrote:
$200 for a battery, that's obscene :-)

Funnny how different people have different priorities. You have to
smile when Mike criticises a bloke for spending $600 on lights, then
suggests he spends another $200 :-)

For the humour/irony impaired: :-) :-) :-) ;-)
I hate having to use smileys.

Those metal-halide lamps really are impressive technolgy though.
I believe they are rougly as efficient as florescent lights,
but its awfully hard to focus a floro.

I just wanted to say:
a) it seems an awful lot of money, when 10-20W halogens work just fine.
But as you say, thats just my priorities.
b) it does seem odd to not use LiIons with that kind of budget,
considering the emphasis many cycling accessories put on weight.
I guess its just too new, and we will see LiIon in more places soon.

Old October 13th 03, 12:18 AM
Glen F

b) it does seem odd to not use LiIons with that kind of budget,
considering the emphasis many cycling accessories put on weight.
I guess its just too new, and we will see LiIon in more places
soon.

The latest crop of NiMH have about the same energy density by volume
as Li-ion, at a`fraction of the cost. Of course, by weight, Li still
wins, but they suffer a range of other issues (discharge cycle life,
low maximum discharge rate, deep discharge intolerance, special
charging need, explosion/fire risk).

Old October 13th 03, 09:41 AM
Suzy Jackson

"Glen F" wrote in message
b) it does seem odd to not use LiIons with that kind of budget,
considering the emphasis many cycling accessories put on weight.
I guess its just too new, and we will see LiIon in more places
soon.

The latest crop of NiMH have about the same energy density by volume
as Li-ion, at a`fraction of the cost. Of course, by weight, Li still
wins, but they suffer a range of other issues (discharge cycle life,
low maximum discharge rate, deep discharge intolerance, special
charging need, explosion/fire risk).

Best energy density I could find in NiMH was a Sanyo 4/3FA, 18mm dia by 67.5
long, and 62g, for 4500mAh at 1.2V.
http://www.master-instruments.com.au...HR_4_3FAU.html

That works out to 87 Joules/kg, and 314 Joules/litre (assuming you can pack
them 100%, which you can't because they're round).

In Li-Polymer, I found the following:
http://www.master-instruments.com.au...LPB526495.html which is
95mm x 64mm x 5.4mm, and 64g, for 3270mAh at 3.6V

That works out to a whopping 184 Joules/kg, and 359 Joules/litre.

If I were shelling out $600 for a light, I know which I'd go for. Just
think, 2 hours of 20W light in 250g...

As for charging difficulty and explosion risk, they're perfectly happy in my
notetoy.

Regards,

Suzy