Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 6th 03, 09:29 AM
Tim Jones

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

"PC" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:38:28 +1000, "stu" wrote:

and I am equally irritated by cyclists on footpaths as I am by
pedestrians or unleashed animals on bike paths or cars in bike lanes..

are there any bike paths in melbourne?
they are all shared paths now, as far as l know.

Yes, there's a couple of segregated paths.. Princess Bridge is
segregated, Port Melbourne to St Kilda (and a bit further I think) is
segregated.. Both see peds all the bloody time..

Also following the Yarra from the bike path underpass to bridge road has
separate lanes for walking and biking (not enforced). Similarly going the
other way from the underpass bridge towards the city when you hit the St
Georges road bridge towards the burnley freeway turnoff.

Tim

Old October 6th 03, 11:12 AM
Alan Erskine

"DJ" wrote in message
Wow......this thread is getting interesting!!

The law says that it's ok for children the age of 12 and under to ride on
the footpaths, so taking this into consideration, what would be the
difference of a wild 11 yr old on a BMX doing breakneck speed and adult
doing a sensible speed on a footpath?
If there was an accident with a pedestrian, do you think that the

pedestrian
would be betteroff being hit by the 11 yr old or the adult? I reckon the
results would be far more serious with the kid on the BMX....but the law
states that they are allowed to ride on the footpaths.

Also, if it was such a dilemma, why are there shared paths with

pedestrians
and cycles? ok they may be a bit wider in places but to me it's the same

as
a footpath.

Especially when there's two or three people side-by-side.

Consideration to others is important though.

Agreed.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Thinking of converting to Optusnet?
Don't - they're hopeless - use another server.

Old October 6th 03, 11:37 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Alan Erskine wrote in message
u...
"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
Omigod! After several posts where you want people to agree that's it's

OK
ride on footpaths, you're now complaining about peds walking on

bikepaths.

Well, if one's _not_ ok, why is the other ok?

Like has been stated elsewhere, it's consideration that is important in this
matter.

On the subject, I just rode up to the shop. It is on a very busy road, and I
have to turn right onto the busy road, ride for about 40 metres, and then
it's on the right. So what do I do? Cross the busy road twice to get to the
shop, or cruise up the footpath? I take the footpath of course!

I can't see anything wrong with this. Can anyone?
---
DFM

Old October 6th 03, 11:58 PM
rickster

"DJ" wrote in message ...
Wow......this thread is getting interesting!!

The law says that it's ok for children the age of 12 and under to ride on
the footpaths, so taking this into consideration, what would be the
difference of a wild 11 yr old on a BMX doing breakneck speed and adult
doing a sensible speed on a footpath?
If there was an accident with a pedestrian, do you think that the pedestrian
would be betteroff being hit by the 11 yr old or the adult? I reckon the
results would be far more serious with the kid on the BMX

Ummm, momentum ?

[snip]

Old October 7th 03, 12:33 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Alan Erskine" wrote
"Theo Bekkers" wrote

Omigod! After several posts where you want people to agree that's

it's OK
ride on footpaths, you're now complaining about peds walking on

bikepaths.

Well, if one's _not_ ok, why is the other ok?

Neither is OK Alan.

Theo

Old October 7th 03, 12:33 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Alan Erskine" wrote
"Theo Bekkers" wrote

Old October 7th 03, 12:42 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote

Like has been stated elsewhere, it's consideration that is important

in this
matter.

On the subject, I just rode up to the shop. It is on a very busy

road, and I
have to turn right onto the busy road, ride for about 40 metres, and

then
it's on the right. So what do I do? Cross the busy road twice to get

to the
shop, or cruise up the footpath? I take the footpath of course!

I can't see anything wrong with this. Can anyone?

Not really. Technically, you are breaking the law. If nobody cops you
and you don't injure anyone it really doesn't matter at all. What you
can to stay within the law is the same as you're supposed to do at
marked pedestrian crossings. Get off the bike and wheel it the few
yards. But, if nobody's around, nobody cares.

I just have problems with the hypocrisy of "It's OK for us to ride
(carefully) on their paths, but they mustn't walk on ours" mentality.

Theo