Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 7th 03, 10:55 AM
kwv

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Deep Freud Moor wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote in message news:wpRfb.137305$b-
erver.bigpond.net.au...
"Deep Freud Moors" wrote

But we were not talking about the traffic code. It was being

discussed in
the context of whether it was OK or not, not if it was legal or not.

There
is a difference!

And what is this difference.

You determine what is OK or not purely by definition of the law?
Here is a tip. Use this when trying to determine if something's OK or
not:
http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ttp://diction-
ary.reference.com/search?q=commonsense
It is illegal to ride a motorcycle on the footpath as well. Is
that OK?

If someone is riding up over the footpath to park, then it is ok. If
they are flying along a busy shopping strip knocking people over, then
it's not ok. That is commonsense. I know commonsense is an abstract
concept, but it is a commonly understood once. Feel free to embrace it.
The question is not whether it is OK with you, is it OK with the
other path users? I would suggest you don't ask them as you already
know the answer.

Just in case you missed it the first time... http://dictionary.refere-
nce.com/search?q=commonsensehttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-
commonsense
---
DFM

But is it okay to ride on the footpath when the law said you can not ?

Old October 7th 03, 10:55 AM
kwv

Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote
Beaconsfield Parade is a good example of this. There's not only a
two-way bike path (specifically marked for bikes, blades and skate
boards), but

also
a path for pedestrians that is separate from the bike path - last
summer (and several summers before and probably this summer), the
number of peds that get on 'our' turf is incredible. Why aren't there
laws that protect cyclists and bike paths from peds at the same time?

Omigod! After several posts where you want people to agree that's it's
OK to ride on footpaths, you're now complaining about peds walking on
bikepaths.
Theo

And that is the thing why is it okay to ride on the footpath but it is
not okay to walk on the bikepath.

Old October 7th 03, 10:55 AM
kwv

Dj wrote:
Yeah Alan,I reckon here in Sydney at least anyone should be able to ride
on a footpath/sidewalk if it is deemed too dangerous to ride on a
particular peice of road.
IMHO, I'd rather be an alive outlaw than a dead inlaw.....just use a bit
of safety common sense (although sometimes not that common)and protect
yourself....ya don't often get a second chance under the wheels of a
semi trailer.
Cheers
DJ "Alan Erskine" wrote in message new

And of course it is not too dangerous for cyclists to ride on footpath
in Sydney and that is why it is banned for cyclists over 12.

Old October 7th 03, 11:26 AM
kwv

Originally posted by David Trudgett Theo Bekkers wrote:

is the *right thing* by others and by yourself. If the *right thing*
doesn't happen to be legal, well tough^H^H^H^H^H obey the law, of

course.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically David but there have been
some really stupid (IMHO) things said in this thread in favour of
riding on the footpath.

Suppose I think it is very dangerous and get nervous driving my car on
the road with traffic, is it OK for me to take to the foot-path? I
promise I wont go over 15 km/h and I'll be very cautious.

Bicycles are traffic. Ride on the road or park it. Stay off the
foot-path.

I'll be happy as long as *you* continue to do the *right thing* also.
Only you know what the right thing for you is. Check your conscience
(and educate it).

Happy cycling! :-)

Bye for now.

David

--

QUOTE]

David if many cyclists Check their conscience (and educate it) then we
wouldn't have them breaking the law.

Old October 7th 03, 11:46 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Glen F" wrote
Theo wrote
The right to wheel the bike across the road. Not ride.

That is unlike your pronouncements on footpath riding, which
are incorrect for QLD, and, it seems, also ACT and TAS - and
also wrong in all* other states for under 12s and those
supervising them. Footpath riding may not always be smart,
but in this state (Qld), it is legal unless signed otherwise
- and therefore a cyclist's "right".

Did I mention adults accompanying under 12's?

Theo

Old October 7th 03, 12:15 PM
Theo Bekkers

"kwv" wrote
Deep Freud Moor wrote:

DFM

But is it okay to ride on the footpath when the law said you can not

?

I think DFM means Don't Fxxking Matter.

Theo