Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Tim Jones

Default Rights and privileges. [was: Bikes on footpaths - damn...]

"David Trudgett" wrote in message
Tim Jones wrote:

"David Trudgett" wrote in message

I will not bother to go into
a long explanation of this, except to refer the interested reader to a
couple of sources: (1) The gospels, e.g., Matthew 5:38-42. :

"You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.
But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the
contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the
other as well; if a man takes you to law and would have your
tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone orders you
to go one mile, go two miles with him. Give to anyone who asks,
and if anyone wants to borrow, do not turn away."

and (2) a book by Leo Tolstoy, "The Kingdom of God is Within You". Both
can be found in full text form on the Internet. **

If that's the case, have you got a decent bike, and if so, can I have

it?

;-)

Yeah, "give to anyone who asks" is a tough one, isn't it? Do you need it
more than I do?

Damn! Got me there - I already have a bike!

Tim

:-)

Old October 9th 03, 09:39 AM
Theo Bekkers

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

"Arpit" wrote
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

I just have problems with the hypocrisy of "It's OK for us to ride
(carefully) on their paths, but they mustn't walk on ours"

mentality.

I ride on the footpaths, but I do get annoyed if pedestrians are a
bike only lane, and dont give way. I give way to them on the

footpaths
and shared paths and offroad tracks.

You get annoyed if pedestrians are on a bike only path, but you ride
on a pedestrian only path?

shakes head

Theo

Old October 9th 03, 09:44 AM
Theo Bekkers

"David Trudgett" wrote

Another proof can easily be seen in conscription laws. Because I am

Christian, I will refuse to be conscripted under any circumstances
whatsoever.

I also refuse to be conscripted but I'm an atheist.

Not only do Christians recognise no authority but God's

You should go and live in God's country.

, it
is quite plainly obvious after less than a moment's thought that

murder
and Christianity are mutually incompatible.

Have you watched the current series on Foxtel Ch 19 about the
Crusades. "Killing for God".

Theo

Old October 10th 03, 12:06 AM
David Trudgett

Hi Andrey,

I see you're posting from Russia! Thanks for your post, I appreciate the
effort required to write in a foreign language.

How are things in Russia these days? Since the fall of state capitalism
in the Soviet Union, I haven't heard much news about Russia.

andrey wrote:

It's a time now to be "politically correct".

Do you think television has much to do with that? People seem to be
extraordinarily susceptible to being hypnotised by what they perceive as
"majority opinion". In times of declining social interaction, the TV
seems to supply this "majority opinion" to people.

"Christian valuables" are vanishing under pressure of multicultural and

"Christian values" vanished a long, long time ago, with the rise of the
"official" Church, which has functioned simply as an organ of State for
many centuries. Of course, the miracle is that true Christian teaching
has never been entirely lost, and the truth is available to those who
sincerely seek it.

multireligional global people migration.
So, no Europe no USA anymore "Christian" or "Muslim".
Polititians claims it to be "home for all".

Even in Russia? :-) When people begin to fully realise that "nations",
as we know them now, are an abomination because all people everywhere
are brothers and sisters, then the current order will start to crumble
under its own falsehoods. This has nothing to do with any religion, by
the way.

Have you read any of Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy's works, such as "War and
Peace" and "The Kingdom of God is Within You"? You have the advantage of
being able to read them in the original language.

Before I go, I should mention that it is considered bad practise to
"top-post" (which means putting your reply above the text to which you
are replying). This joke might enlighten you:

A. Top-posters

Bye for now! :-)

David

--

....Another writer again agreed with all my generalities, but said that
as an inveterate skeptic I have closed my mind to the truth. Most

-- Carl Sagan, The Burden of Skepticism, Skeptical Enquirer,
Vol. 12, pg. 46

Old October 10th 03, 05:09 AM
Theo Bekkers

"David Trudgett" wrote
Hi Theo,

Actually, I'm very pleased that you made that point, because it is a
curious fact many atheists, such as yourself, are opposed
to conscription,

Why is that curious. Theists believe in an afterlife, atheists don't.
Which do you think would value _this_ life more?

whereas many so-called "Christians" are quite
prepared to be conscripted and to murder men, women and children

they
have never seen before.

Or even people they have.

Theo

Old October 10th 03, 08:44 AM
David Trudgett

Theo Bekkers wrote:

"David Trudgett" wrote

Hi Theo,

Actually, I'm very pleased that you made that point, because it is a
curious fact many atheists, such as yourself, are opposed
to conscription,

Why is that curious. Theists believe in an afterlife, atheists don't.
Which do you think would value _this_ life more?

Good point! Doesn't seem to work that way with all atheists, though,
does it? Same with theists. Go figure. :-)

whereas many so-called "Christians" are quite
prepared to be conscripted and to murder men, women and children

they

have never seen before.

Or even people they have.

Indeed.