Quick Release Seat Clamp on MUni?

Old May 27th 05, 02:23 AM
munipsycho

Default Quick Release Seat Clamp on MUni?

I find that doing MUni is really sort of schizophrenic.

First you ride up and down long hills for 40 minutes, or until you puke,
whichever comes first. For this part, I need the seat very high,
because I'm not strong enough to stand all the time, or to crank up
hills sitting down low.

Then you find some rocks and trees to hop on for 15-20 minutes. For
this, I need to drop the seat quite a bit for optimal efficiency.

Then you ride for 40 more minutes. Then more jumping, dropping, or
whatever for 20 minutes. And on and on.

I ride a KH24, and it has a pretty beefy seat adjustment mechanism, not
much less significant then the vice I keep in the basement, what with
the two hex screws and all.

My question is, do many trail and trial riders use a quick release for
the seat post? Are there good enough products? Are they trustworthy and
safe for jumping and dropping? Crashing?

It would certainly make the transitions easier if I could change the
seat height without all the fanfare.

--
munipsycho - Sometimes I fall down.

=====================
'Victory belongs now to this small tree.'
(http://munipsycho.com/stories/a_little_tree.jsp)

'The UniSkills Assessment' (http://www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp)

I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear

Imagine all the people
Riding on one wheel.
J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old May 27th 05, 02:40 AM
Catboy

The Salsa quick release is supposed to be excellent, and you can get it
he
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=245
Darren also has one.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

Old May 27th 05, 03:41 AM
maestro8

I just carry an allen wrench in my pack... I've got the Odyssey seat
clamp: one bolt, plenty grippy, never had a problem! I do agree it is
crucial to raise the seat for the longer climbs, but I couldn't imagine
putting a quick release underneath me... who knows what it could snag?
I don't want to find out

--
maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

Groucho Marx

Old May 27th 05, 01:28 PM
S_Wallis

I have always used a Salsa Fliplock quick release. I have no problem at
all with the seat moving, and I can't imagine not having the convenience
of being able to adjust the seat quickly, even if just for that person
you meet on the trail that wants to give the uni a try.
How well a quick release holds has a large amount to do with the quality
of the QR, but also can be affected by the frame and seatpost
compbination. I have an aluminum frame and Thomson seatpost, which I
think is an easy combo to keep snug. A steel frame and chrome seatpost
is probably the worst combination.
I think you will have good luck with the Salsa. If you get one, keep a
dab of grease or antisieze on the cam surfaces, and keep mud cleaned out
of it. Operating it with grit in it can wear out the cams, and decrease
it's holding power.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old May 27th 05, 02:17 PM
joemarshall

I've always used a QR. I've got a cheap one and it works fine, never
gone wrong.

Double bolt clamps are obviously very reliable and tight, but it's just
so much hassle to let people have a go on the uni. Also I sometimes swap
posts between unis and having a QR is really handy.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album483

Old May 27th 05, 03:48 PM
hecklar

I've never used anything but quick-releases from Bedford on my commuter
and street/trials unis, and i can't complain about them. Sometimes when
you bail and the handle of the saddle hits the ground, the saddle gets
twisted to the side, but straightening it takes 2 seconds.

--
hecklar - Street Rider (Level 4)
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Old October 22nd 05, 11:35 PM
entozoon

I have a double hex thing on my trials unicycle, i'm not sure if I would
trust a flip release one when jumping for tall heights. I used to have
one when I was learning (on a skinny freestyle uni) and that got
twisted and stuff now and again.. so I'm afraid to try the fliplock
thing (plus it's about £14 / $24 + delivery).

Miek

--
entozoon
entozoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11046

Old October 23rd 05, 02:45 AM
ntappin

i currently have a quick release and although its easy to use, i
absolutely hate it. but that is pretty much because of the kind of
quick release it is.
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=249, its simmilar to
that one, except it will fit on any unicycle. dont buy anything with
that kind of arm thing, because its extremely dangerous. i was riding
one footed for a while then that arm caught in my shoe and i fell. when
it came down the arm hit me right in the back of the heal stabbing me
nearly in the achilles tendon.

so beware quick release arms.

--
ntappin

Old October 23rd 05, 08:23 AM
leadpan

Hey this was what I was looking for also! Thanks guys for the info. I
will go buy a quick release since I am tired of bringing a wrench with
me all the time. :P

--
leadpan

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751

Old October 24th 05, 04:26 AM
lancerfan119

i saw many people at muni weekend withe the salsa clamps, the only bad
part about them i think is that they stick out a bit and can get caught
on u.

i agree with maestro8, just carry an allen wrench

-trey

--
lancerfan119

lookin for more people to muni with in the bay area or reno/tahoe are
lancerfan119's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9590