Q: Touring / City tyre recommendations?

Old February 1st 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
WibbleWobble

Default Q: Touring / City tyre recommendations?

Hello all,
Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though they
have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
What matters is...
-Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
-Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
-Puncture resistance

Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyres
are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do wonder if it's
justifiable?

Yours in a confused haze, Joe

Old February 1st 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default Touring / City tyre recommendations?

WibbleWobble wrote:
Hello all,
Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though
they have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
What matters is...
-Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
-Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
-Puncture resistance

Low rolling resistance and high puncture resistance don't really go
together. Panaracer Pasela* is a good half-way compromise. Narrower than
37mm would speed you up a bit. You could probably fit 32mm.

Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid
Tyres are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do
wonder if it's justifiable?

I know the Nimbus EX, but not other Nimbuses and the Randonneur well enough
to comment.

* Available in a folding version as well as rigid, if price really is no
issue. This saves some weight.

~PB

Old February 3rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PH

I'm on my second winter using 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs, about 4,000
miles without any problems or punctures and without much sign of
wear. Look and feel very similar to Top Touring 2000s and IMO more
comfortable than Marathons. The price for that reliability is the
weight, I did look it up on the Vittoria website, a bit scary. I
prefer to swap them for something lighter in the summer, but for
winter use I'm happy with them.

Old February 3rd 07, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

I have just got a pair of the Vittorias you mention and they seem vg value
to me but i have only done about 100 miles so far.
Fitted on a Hewitt Cheviot touring bike. They seem to roll well.

SW

"WibbleWobble" wrote in message
Hello all,
Looking to replace my 37-622 (700 x 37?) Vredestein tyres and though they
have been good, can anyone recommend alternatives?
What matters is...
-Low rolling resistance (on roads 99% of the time)
-Ability to take high loads (i.e. me + well loaded panniers)
-Puncture resistance

Price isn't really an issue, but on Wiggle Vittoria Randonneur Rigid Tyres
are GBP13, whilst the Specialized Nimbus are GBP20, and I do wonder if
it's justifiable?

Yours in a confused haze, Joe

Tubular Tyre Recommendations?? Gags Australia 14 January 27th 07 09:09 PM
Tyre recommendations Christo Australia 27 January 14th 06 12:27 AM
Road Tyre Recommendations dgarry Australia 18 January 9th 06 12:12 AM
Winter tyre recommendations Mark UK 20 January 4th 06 03:05 PM
Tyre recommendations for TT David Martin UK 10 June 30th 04 07:49 PM