touring bikes recommendations

Old October 22nd 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robert Norton

Default touring bikes recommendations

I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been through
too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another; more up to date
in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks
Rob

Old October 22nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:23:23 +0100, "Robert Norton"
wrote:

I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been through
too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another; more up to date
in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm delighted with my Thorn Raven Tour. A bit more expensive than a
Galaxy, though.
Old October 22nd 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Robert Norton" wrote in message

I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been
through too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another; more up
to date in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?

Depends what you want. How much do you want to carry, what sort of roads? A
light fast tourer, or a heavy duty do anything machine? Something in
between? Something the same as the Galaxy but flasher?

Money to burn - a nice Ti frame? (eg Airborne)
Issues with fit - something custom? A fancy mercian?

Go-anywhere - Thorn Raven, Thorn XTC? (rohloff vs derailleur)

cheers,
clive

Old October 22nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bob

In message , Robert Norton
writes
I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been through
too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another; more up to date
in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks
Rob

If you like it so much why replace it? I recently refurbished my old 531
Raleigh Royale (poor man's Galaxy) for about £350. This included quality
re-spray with decals, new rims, hubs, gears, sprockets, bottom bracket,
head-set bearing, cables, chain and mudguards.

I saved a bunch of cash by not replacing anything that was serviceable
including saddle (me-shaped Brooks), seat post, bars/stem, brakes and
levers, carrier, friction shifters, pedals and even tyres.

The bike is now better than original and the whole deal was much cheaper
than buying a new equivalent machine (and was a lot of fun into the
bargain).
--
geomannie
Old October 22nd 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

bob wrote:
In message , Robert Norton
writes
I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been
through too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another;
more up to date in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?

If you like it so much why replace it? I recently refurbished my old
531 Raleigh Royale (poor man's Galaxy)

Poor *woman's* Galaxy if it has the "e" on the end :-)

for about £350. This included
quality re-spray with decals, new rims, hubs, gears, sprockets,
bottom bracket, head-set bearing, cables, chain and mudguards.

I saved a bunch of cash by not replacing anything that was serviceable
including saddle (me-shaped Brooks), seat post, bars/stem, brakes and
levers, carrier, friction shifters, pedals and even tyres.

The bike is now better than original and the whole deal was much
cheaper than buying a new equivalent machine (and was a lot of fun
into the bargain).

Not a bad idea - I did a similar thing with my Raleigh Royal as well.

~PB

Old October 23rd 08, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Robert Norton wrote:
I have an oldish Dawes Galaxy. I'd never get rid of it . We've been through
too much together! However I'm thinking of buying another; more up to date
in another make. Anyone got any recommendations?

Probably the wrong answer, but you never know...

I do my touring on a recumbent built for touring these days. The view
is better (a little lower, but straight out rather than inclined down at
the road), it handles luggage better and it's far, far more comfortable
with a comfy chair, full suspension and, best of all, no weight at all
taken through my arms.

Mine is an HPVel Streetmachine GT, see
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...t/index_e.html

Having spent years wanting a Galaxy or similar, now I wouldn't change
the Streetmachine for /any/ upright tourer for the trips I'm doing. Not
even custom built for me in titanium.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK