saddle sore!!!!

Old April 2nd 05, 12:46 PM
juggling_unicyclist_joe

Default saddle sore!!!!

hey everybody!!!

i bought my uni about a year ago and was really enthusiastic about
riding when i got it. after about 6 months of riding i had been gaining
confidence and was becoming a much better rider. eventually when i could
ride fluently and was intrested in other things i stopped unicycling.

i am now starting to uni again and i dont now how i stopped before, its
so fun. the only problem i that has occured is saddle sore. this is a
magor problem as it hurts to ride and i am going weeks without riding at
all.

if anyone nows of any tips or things to help when saddle sore does
occour please reply to this thread and share your knowledge.

thanks very much

--
juggling_unicyclist_joe
juggling_unicyclist_joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9599

Old April 2nd 05, 02:09 PM
Krashin'Kenny

What type of saddle do you have? Are you sore from chafing/rubbing or is
it sore from pressure?

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old April 2nd 05, 09:15 PM
ColDawG

a KH padded saddle is good
also, i NEVER ride for more than 20 minutes w/o bike shorts (the baggy
cargo kind w/ an inner liner, not the tight spandex only ones)
go to a local REI or Any Mountain or some type of outdoors or bike
store, they'll have them for sure
OR go to Zoic.com or Oakley makes them too (bit pricey)
good luck
also
u just have to ride more frequently and develop a bit of tolerance

--
ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

Looking for MUni buddies!
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

Old April 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
James_Potter

you need one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/7yue3

sorry, this post has no relevance to this thread. I apologize for
wasting your time. now back to our regularly scheduled program.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old April 2nd 05, 09:46 PM
Tall Paul

juggling_unicyclist_joe wrote:
hey everybody!!!

if anyone nows of any tips or things to help when saddle sore does
occour please reply to this thread and share your knowledge.

You need Butt'r
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shop...?catalogid=115
Probably available at a similar unicycle store near you.

Tall Paul. Passable unicyclist
and soon not to be British Unicycle Convention 12 Organiser 'cos pre-reg
closes on monday and the convention is only 3 weeks away!
http://www.unicycle.org.uk/buc12/
Old April 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
Mikefule

Several things.

Firstly, if everything is adjusted correctly, a large component of your
discomfort is psychological. Secondly, you will never be perfectly
comfortable.

Set your seat at a comfortable height. Pretty much, that's as high as
you can put it without feeling like you're stretching for the pedals.
Only lower it if you're doing MUni or "skills" (freestyle or trials for
example) in which case you won't be sitting down for long periods
anyway.

Set your seat at a comfortable angle. With a conventional seatpost,
sliding the seat forwards slightly raises its nose, and many people find
this a bit more comfortable.

Now, wear padded cycle shorts - and (really) don't wear underwear
underneath them. Cycle shorts have the seams and elastic in the right
place. Underwear has the seams and elastic in the wrong place for
unicycling.

I wear padded skin-tight shorts under padded cycling longs.

Now, get lots of miles in. Don't stop too often. Get a rhythm going.

I find shorter cranks and a faster cadence somehow make it less
painful.

You can alleviate your suffering by occasionally standing on the pedals,
or by partly supporting your weight with the heel of your hand on the
front of the seat (or on the handle).

With a standard Viscount saddle and no handle, at my peak, I could do
60+ minutes without excessive discomfort, and I occasionally did two
hours. However, after that first burst, I tend to stop every 15 minutes
or so - even more often towards the end of a long ride.

Overcoming the pain is part of the challenge. No one said it was easy.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old April 3rd 05, 07:07 PM
juggling_unicyclist_joe

thanks for the advice, i have recently bought a new sadd;e and it is a
much more comftable ride. i am also starting uni trials so if anyone has
any advice on decent unicycles or spares to buy please let me know

thanks

joe

Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM
Saddle Sore Question Brandon Sullivan General 4 December 13th 03 09:53 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Sore saddle...advice wanted Tony W UK 16 August 13th 03 09:27 PM