Intriguing road find

Old March 15th 09, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default Intriguing road find

As we all know, cyclists tend to find a lot of stuff along the road
while riding. I just had my all time most interesting road find
yesterday.

While riding home on my usual route, about five miles from my house, I
moved over into the center "suicide lane" to turn left when I noticed
a single cycling glove in the center of the lane, palm up. Big deal,
what's so intriguing about a cycling glove? Well, there wasn't much
traffic so I went back to pick it up and the strange thing was...
it's the very same glove that I lost on this route about a year ago
(in fact, I remember having to rush out to buy another pair for a
century ride that is coming up again about a month from now)! It
seems impossible... through two seasons it managed to hide who knows
where and then somehow migrate out into the middle of the street
unharmed! I was quite upset when I lost it. I'd only had them for a
month or so when I'd forgotten to put them on when I started my ride.
A about a mile into the ride I noticed that they weren't on. When I
stopped I found one of them on top of my rear rack, but the other one
was nowhere to be found. I threw the remaining one into my pile of
misc stuff hoping that the missing one would turn up in the yard
somewhere, but had long since given up on it! Even after the
intervening seasons it's still in great condition, in fact I can't
tell it from the other one (it even has the same amount of grime on
the leather palm).
Old March 15th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
news.suddenlink.net

"Rex Kerr" wrote in message
[...]

twilight zone theme tune being played...

Old March 15th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"news.suddenlink.net" writes:

twilight zone theme tune being played...

"You are about to enter another dimension.
Not one of sight & sound, but of mind ..."

"doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo ..."

The hour-long Twilight Zones were the best ones.

I especially liked the one where the Cold War
post-apocalyptic soldier guy hooks up with the
female Russian invader. mmmmm ... fantasy.

And the Carol Burnette one.

"It's not fair! There was ~time~! All the time
in the world!"

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old March 16th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Rex Kerr wrote, On 3/15/2009 2:21 AM:
[...]

If you love a glove, set it free. If it comes back it's yours; if it
doesn't it never was...

With apologies to Richard Bach

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old March 16th 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Paul O wrote:
[...]

Losing a glove is surely a bother
But nothing compared to the pain
Of losing one glove
Throwing away the other
Then finding the first one again.

(apologies to Piet Hein)

Bill

Old March 16th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

wrote, On 3/16/2009 10:39 AM:
Paul O wrote:

[...]

Quiet little glove
Lifeless on the road's shoulder
Awake in the spring

Old March 16th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Paul O" wroteQuiet little glove
Lifeless on the road's shoulder
Awake in the spring

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gloves, mated for life.
When one is lost, the other
Hopelessly saddened.

Old March 17th 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Leo Lichtman wrote, On 3/16/2009 6:01 PM:
"Paul O" wroteQuiet little glove

Lifeless on the road's shoulder
Awake in the spring

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gloves, mated for life.
When one is lost, the other
Hopelessly saddened.

Rex once lost a glove on Nantucket
He saw it was gone and said"**** it!"
So it was a surprise
Greeting poor Rex's eyes
When he found his glove in Pawtucket

With apologies to anyone who lives in New England.

Old March 19th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brent Hugh

On Mar 15, 1:21*am, Rex Kerr wrote:
Big deal,
what's so intriguing about a cycling glove? *Well, there wasn't much
traffic so I went back to pick it up and the strange thing was...
it's the very same glove that I lost on this route about a year ago

Once when I was riding over some railroad tracks one of my water
bottles bounced out.

I heard it go but looked back and couldn't see it and didn't figure
out what was missing until I arrived at my destination.

So on my way back later that day I stopped to look for it, hoping it
had just rolled into the gutter or something.

Nope--it was still there, right in the middle of the street.

It was the absolute flattest water bottle I have EVER seen. Couldn't
have been more than a millimeter thick anywhere.

The phrase "flat as a pancake" wouldn't come close to doing it
justice--this was way, thing way flatter than a pancake ever could
be. The only way it deviated from absolute flatness was in the way it
was sort of molded to take on the shape of every little rock, bump,
and crack in the bit of road it was sitting on.

This was in an industrial district and the thing had probably been run
over by 40 semis during the course of the day.

So that's my lost and found story--not *quite* as good as yours . . .

--Brent
Old March 19th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

[...]

Hopefully you'll find the midweight glove I lost a month ago...

Two days ago out in the holler of Hermitage I came upon a mass teddy
bear death scene. There were half a dozen intact, still with tags
(Camen Bear-anda) and others disemboweled by traffic.