Downtube interference with cartridge BB

Old November 6th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

Default Downtube interference with cartridge BB

I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? (the
frame is lugged)

Thanks,
-Rex
Old November 6th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? (the
frame is lugged)

Thanks,
-Rex

I personally don't - but a Dremel may take a while, do you have a friend
with a die grinder?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 6th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 6 Nov, 03:05, Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? *(the
frame is lugged)

Takes too long. use a cold chisel from the other side.
Old November 6th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

On Nov 5, 7:07*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
I personally don't - but a Dremel may take a while, do you have a friend
with a die grinder?

I have an air powered one, 100 miles away, in storage. :-)
Old November 6th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 5, 9:05*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? *(the
frame is lugged)

Don't see any problem. The frame builders simply couldn't anticipate
the future is all.
Old November 6th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 6, 3:05*am, Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? *(the
frame is lugged)

Thanks,
-Rex

Take too long with a Dremel. Buy some small grinding wheels with
shafts that fit the smallest electric drill you have and do the job
with that; you can go back to the Dremel for the finishing touches.
The small grinding wheels usually come in a cheap kit of five or six
at my equivalent of a dime store, and the most useful one for your
purpose is probably the cone which is just less than an inch at its
widest part. -- Andre Jute
Old November 6th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

On Nov 5, 7:05*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:
I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? *(the
frame is lugged)

Thanks guys... it seemed safe, but I figured I should check. I ground
it out, didn't take long, but have now run into another problem... I
can install the cartridge from the non drive side (it's french, both
are right hand threads) and it goes all of the way through, so I did
manage to grind the tube enough, but from the drive side it bottoms
out on some brass bits and other stuff that's not threaded far enough
(the original cup has far fewer threads than the new BB)... I guess I
have to find a shop with a French BB tap set... somehow I suspect
that'll be difficult!!

That said, looking at the specs of the ISO BB it looks like they're
1.375 x 24 TPI, which comes to 34.9, or possibly close enough to 35...
could a shop w/ two ISO tap sets use two right handed taps and chase
it w/o ruining the existing threads?
Old November 6th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Nov 5, 8:03*pm, landotter wrote:
On Nov 5, 9:05*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:

I recently purchased a french BB for my Peugeot and was installing it
when I found that the downtube protrudes into the BB shell such that
the cartridge cannot be installed.

Does anybody see any problem with carefully grinding the protruding
section away with a dremel until the cartridge can go through? *(the
frame is lugged)

Don't see any problem. The frame builders simply couldn't anticipate
the future is all.

Of course, if they could have anticipated the future, they would have
threaded it English.
Old November 6th 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

RonSonic wrote:

Can you relieve that area with your grinder?

Family newsgroup, buddy.

Bill "hey, it's been a while" S.

(for the /quip/ that is)

Old November 6th 09, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 6 Nov, 06:52, Rex Kerr wrote:
On Nov 5, 7:05*pm, Rex Kerr wrote:

[...]

Cut the thread off your cartridge unit to length to match your bottom
bracket shell. Use a file. Scrape the threads in the shell with a
steel pick. Oil up and try again. If it still wont seat, tapering
the thread on the cartridge shell for the last two or three threads
should get it sorted.