Wilderness Q&A

Old February 29th 08, 05:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Wilderness Q&A

Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

Mike

From: Ted Stroll
Subject: Wilderness Q&A

Everyone,

I'm planning to write an article for the ROMP newsletter on mountain
biking and federal Wilderness, i.e., why we can't ride there. It's
basically a legal issue, though, of course, there are political
aspects that affect the legal background.

I'm planning to do the article in question-and-answer format. At first
I was going to write my own questions and answer them, and I still
will, but I thought I should also invite your questions. You're likely
to think of questions that wouldn't occur to me.

So if you have a question, please send it to me and I'll see if I can
incorporate it in the article.

Here are some examples of possible questions: When did the Wilderness
ban take effect? How much Wilderness is there in the U.S.? What's the
main law that says no biking in Wilderness? How can this law or these
laws be changed? Is there any likelihood I'll ever be able to ride in
Wilderness? Please feel free to ask these or any other questions you
have.

Ted

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 29th 08, 06:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej Jorgensen

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

They can, I assure you! I personally walked just today.

-Beej

Old February 29th 08, 11:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane

On Feb 29, 12:16*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

Mike

Probably for the same reason enviromentalists can't take a sailboat to
an international conference.

Old February 29th 08, 04:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
news
Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

Mike

Everybody else does not walk, some ride bikes, some ride horses, some drive
(the slower the better).

Old February 29th 08, 06:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

"Mike Vandeman" skrev i en meddelelse
news
Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

Mike

Because they are wearing strange shoes!

hehe
tomov

Old February 29th 08, 07:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

If you put as much energy into hiking and walking yourself as you do
flapping your gums and copying other's articles, you could do the
atlantic to pacific in record time...

Do other people here realize our Berkley "environmental" dietary hero,
mike, was a coward from the military??
Old February 29th 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

skrev i en meddelelse
If you put as much energy into hiking and walking yourself as you do
flapping your gums and copying other's articles, you could do the
atlantic to pacific in record time...

Do other people here realize our Berkley "environmental" dietary hero,
mike, was a coward from the military??

You are offtopic - just like mike.

/tomov

Old February 29th 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Feb 29, 3:46*pm, wrote:
skrev i en ...

If you put as much energy into hiking and walking yourself as you do
flapping your gums and copying other's articles, you could do the
atlantic to pacific in record time...

Do other people here realize our Berkley "environmental" dietary hero,
mike, was a coward from the military??

You are offtopic - just like mike.

/tomov

Oh yeah...sorry. I mentioned the fact his original post, which is
always unoriginal because if you look...it is all someone elses
research, posts, letters, etc. Nothing is ever "HIS" material.
Old March 1st 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:47:21 +0000 (UTC), Beej Jorgensen
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Yes, I have a question: Why can't mountain bikers walk, like everybody
else?

They can, I assure you! I personally walked just today.

-Beej

Then what you all have been saying about not being allowed in various
parks & Wildernesses is a LIE: you DO have access, because you can
WALK.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande