Red light-jumping cyclist seriously injures woman

Old February 29th 12, 07:53 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Red light-jumping cyclist seriously injures woman

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:53:41 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

On 27/02/2012 19:39, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:01:47 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

The challenge, before you started wriggling like a worm, was car v bike.
Its perfectly to clear to everyone that I don't ride a pushbike.

Then why the Devil did you make the challenge?

Doh. Are you really that thick?

I'm perfectly happy to drive the car, but clearly you lack the skill
or confidence to ride a bike.

I don't ride a bike because I'm not an overgrown schoolboy.

I think that you are scared, and that's why you bottled it.
Old February 29th 12, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 29/02/2012 14:08, Simon Mason wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 7:20 am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:07:27 +0000, Bertie Wooster

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:49:08 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

A worker with whom I am well acquainted drives from an affluent
western
suburb of Colchester to a workplace in Southend, five days a week.

Could you (or TC) beat his time and convenience over that journey,
with you
riding a bike?

So what does that prove? That a commuter car v bike challenge can be
manipulated in favour of the car?

Besides, at peak times a bike/train option may be quicker for the
challenge you suggest.

Definitely is for me. Driving into work takes easily half an hour
longer than train and bike.

Last time I drove home from work it took me an hour - the longest time
on my bike has been 45 minutes when I was pinned back by a 60mph
headwind.

I thought it might save time last night by making a special trip to work
in order to drop off a tree trunk for my wood turning mate and to take a
huge IKEA bag full of tinned food so that we don't have to call in when
we go walking at Spurn on Friday. Big mistake - the 24 mile round trip
took me TWO HOURS.

I was envious of those on bikes.

Bikes that couldn't carry a tree trunk or a bag of food? What an
excellent form of transport they must be.

University
Old February 29th 12, 07:56 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:56:57 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.

Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.
Old February 29th 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 28/02/2012 01:30, Phil W Lee wrote:
Bertie considered Mon, 27 Feb 2012
21:21:24 +0000 the perfect time to write:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:15:28 +0000,
wrote:

On 27/02/2012 17:50, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Dave - Cyclists wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Dave - Cyclists wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tony wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:

A Halifax woman is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after a
cyclist blew through a red light and crashed into her, police say.
The woman was crossing the street at a crosswalk at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday
night when the cyclist struck her. The collision threw the 56-year-old
woman into the air and she hit her head as she landed on the pavement.
Witnesses told police the cyclist went through a red light.
The 49-year-old man remained at the scene. Police said he was arrested
and faces charges of violating a court order as well as numerous charges
under the Motor Vehicle Act.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19414006.html

Now come on, that is not the Halifax in the UK, you would never find a
cyclist doing that in Halifax UK.

Oh for Gods sake! People have to trawl the globe to find incidences of
cyclists shooting red lights. It shows what a rare offence red light
jumping must be.

The rare thing is to see a cyclist obeying a traffic signal.
Thought of a wriggle for bottling yet?

Yes - you refused the challenge.

That certainly is a wriggle. In fact I didn't. Do you want me to
embarrass you by quoting the exact words used?
"You said "Shall we say 3pm tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon?"
"I replied "Bring your bike". And "Don't forget our date Cwispin, meet
you by reception. Its a big car park, I don't want you wriggling about
not finding me. No bottling now".

Why did you want me to bring my bike?

There's always the suggestion that if you didn't bring it, there wouldn't be
a bike available for use in "proving" that the bike is "better" than a car on
a simple five or six mile commuting journey.

I see. You are suggesting that Meds wanted to borrow my bike?

Only a fool could believe that. Are you a fool?

In that case he should simply have asked, "Would it be OK if I borrow
your bike?"

Hardly, and you are being about as disingenuous as I have ever seen you to be.

What would be the point in your handing over your bike for use by someone
whose central argument is that the bicycle is so slow as to be unable to win
a "realistic commuter challenge"[TM]?

He would be able to make sure of the result he wanted.

The only way to run the ra... er... "challenge"... properly would be for a
committed driver and a committed cyclist to each do the route(s)
simultaneously and for each to do their best (staying within the law, of
course, which might involve invigilation) to be the quickest.

Of course, in a properly-arranged commuter challenge (from a realistic and
typical residential location to a realistic and typical workplace), the
bicyclist would lose.

Strange that it /never/ has done then.

Thats because cyclists always bottle out of the challenges.

University
Old February 29th 12, 08:04 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.

Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant locations
must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Old February 29th 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.

Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant locations
must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Oh. You mean the challenge between two junctions of the M2?

Meds bottled that bike v car challenge when I chose the car (avoiding
the M2 just to be fair).

Or do you mean the Colchester to Southend challenge?

If that's the case, I'll do it by car. Meds can choose the time of day
- but I have to be available.

Past history suggests he'll bottle all three challenges. Either that
or demand to choose the route AND mode of transport.
Old February 29th 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.

Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant
locations must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Wriggling again?

University
Old February 29th 12, 09:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.

Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant locations
must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Oh. You mean the challenge between two junctions of the M2?

He means exactly that you wriggling twunt. As you well know.

Meds bottled that bike v car challenge when I chose the car (avoiding
the M2 just to be fair).

The challenge is still open in its original form, not the attempted
wriggle where you tried to change it. You have a long history of
wriggling out of challenges don't you?

You failed to turn up bottler.

Or do you mean the Colchester to Southend challenge?

That wasn't a challenge. If it had been you would have wriggled by now.

Now, are you going to take up the original challenge I set, Hempstead
Valley to Bridgewood Manor - cyclist (I'm not one) v car.

Or have you thought of yet another wriggle to cover your lack of bottle?

There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And his name is Tom Cwispin
There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And all that he can do
Is wriggle all night
And wriggle all day
Whatever else the people do say

Old February 29th 12, 10:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:53:41 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

Doh. Are you really that thick?

When the predator is gone and the hagfish needs to get rid of the slime,
it simply ties itself into a knot and wipes the slime away by passing the
knot down along the body.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.