Red light-jumping cyclist seriously injures woman

Old March 1st 12, 10:49 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Ophelia[_2_]

Default I can see it now...

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
"Dave - Cyclists VOR" wrote in message
The closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics. The worlds media are present,
the band playing the National Anthem, the crowd proud and excited.

On the winners podium proudly stand the winners of the Olympic Wriggling
Event - Crispin in Gold position, Mason in Silver, Chapman in Bronze.

Boris approaches to present the medals, especially proud as Cwispin has
not only won the Olympic Gold for Wriggling, he has also broken The
British & Commonwealth Wriggling Record, The European Wriggling Record
and the World Wriggling Record as well.

Cwispins story is a real life 'rags to riches tale'. A nondescript youth
from Sarf London, with no job prospects or social skills, he rose to
world Wriggling domination by sheer hard work & continual practice.

A little known facet of his life is that he is also an accomplished
Bottler, ranked as Europes number one.

However as Boris is about to place the Olympic Gold Medal for Wriggling
over Cwispins head - disaster strikes. The podium collapses.

Boris is slightly injured, but fortunately three off duty policemen from
Hull, who came to cheer Mason on, are able to administer first aid.

An in depth investigation afterwards reveals that the podium, built by
Cwispin, Mason & Chapman from an IKEA kit was inherently unsafe.

Apparently Cwispin failed to 'read' the pictures in the instructions
correctly & Masons use of a 'torx drill bit' failed to do up the fittings
tight enough.

Chapman was cleared of any involvement in the bodged up build. According
to video evidence from Masons Joe 90 glasses, he just sat nearby hitting
himself on the head with a hammer & saying "it doesn't hurt. it doesn't
hurt".

Excellent. I like it!

rofl so do I

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old March 1st 12, 03:12 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:53:34 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

[...]

Just the job

perhaps it will be renamed "The Chapman ****-up" instead of "Closing Ceremony"?

(I assume that it is still on)

Old March 1st 12, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Colnago K.Zero time trial frame slips cover + video

QUOTE:
http://road.cc/content/news/53683-co...ps-cover-video
Italian frame brand Colnago has released pictures and a video of the
new K.Zero that will replace the current Flight dual-purpose time-
trial and triathlon frame for the 2013 model year.

'2013' of course means that we will be seeing this new carbon frame
used by Colnago-sponsored team Europcar this season although our
racing department will have a better idea of whether that's likely to
mean appearances at the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France what with
both Colnago-CSF and last year's TDF folk hero Thomas Voeckler's squad
enjoying mere Pro Continental status and therefore only getting a
possible wild card entry.

Update: our racing correspondent Simon MacMichael confirms that
Colnago-CSF are riding the Giro in May and Europcar should be at the
Tour in July, so expect K.Zero in action at both for the time trial
stages.

Anyway, what looks different bearing in mind at this stage Colnago are
just teasing us on their Facebook page, saying that more details will
be on their main website in the next few days?

Not too much, in truth, from the looks of it other than the usual
'incremental gains' malarky. The cables disappear very quickly into
the fuselage which is always popular on an aerodynamic frame but the
main bit of tidying up is that the brake callipers are now concealed
within the fork-crown and to the rear of the bottom bracket in
properly modern style. The top of the fork where it intersects with
the stem is also fully faired into the headtube in the style of
numerous Shiv imitators although unlike Specialized's much persecuted-
by-the-race-commissaires time trial model, it's unlikely to be coming
in both UCI-legal and devil-may-care triathletes' versions.

We'll look forward to seeing whether braking is expedited by some
cunning CNC alloy machining along the lines of TRP's brakes for the
explicit purpose and already much used in this role or something as
radical as Ridley's Noah Fast idea where extra elements of the carbon-
fibre frame itself are pressed into service as brake arms. We'll see
but cheeky peeks suggest it's the former.

Price? We may as well indulge in some speculation: the Flight was
launched in 2009 at £2,500 and then dropped to £2,000 for 2010 so
we're going with £2,500 for the frame and fork kit when it becomes
available, probably in mid-summer. The current Flight comes in nominal
seat tube sizes 45, 53 and 58cm and we suspect that will remain; it's
probably more useful to look at the top-tube lengths which are 505,
540 and 560mm. You also get two carbon seat posts; an inline one for
time-triallists and a forward-position version which replicates a
77〫seat angle for triathletes, and we don't imagine that will change
either.

http://road.cc/content/news/53683-co...ps-cover-video

--
Simon Mason
Old March 1st 12, 06:33 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Red light-jumping cyclist seriously injures woman

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:31:09 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 01/03/2012 07:32, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Dave - Cyclists VOR

OK - I'll offer two choices:

Nice wriggle again Cwispin.
Just answer the question Mr Nugent asked "How about you on your bike,
and he in his van, which, as you know, was the challenge he actually
issued"?
How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.
Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant locations
must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Oh. You mean the challenge between two junctions of the M2?

He means exactly that you wriggling twunt. As you well know.

Meds bottled that bike v car challenge when I chose the car (avoiding
the M2 just to be fair).

The challenge is still open in its original form, not the attempted
wriggle where you tried to change it. You have a long history of
wriggling out of challenges don't you?

What did I try to change?

You failed to turn up bottler.

You were too scared to ride a bike.

Or do you mean the Colchester to Southend challenge?

That wasn't a challenge. If it had been you would have wriggled by now.
Now, are you going to take up the original challenge I set, Hempstead
Valley to Bridgewood Manor - cyclist (I'm not one) v car.

So... you think that it is fair for you to set the route AND choose
the mode of transport. Or are you just doing so because if I was
allowed to choose either the route OR the mode I would be guaranteed
of a win.

The very idea of your choosing the mode is sheer nonsense. It is (or must be)
your position that the bike is best and that it will win (ie, get there
first) on any reasonable commuting journey from A to B.

Balderdash and poppycock.

So it *isn't* your position that the bike is fastest?

Are you really that silly?

If a car and a bicycle were raced down an airport runway, the car
would nearly always win.

However, as we have seen numerous times on Top Gear and other
programmes, over urban commutes, the bike very often comes up as
faster.

It is trivial to manipulate a situation where a car will often win,
for example between two junctions of the M2.

I will allow you the last word.
Old March 1st 12, 06:34 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:52:41 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

Why are you not prepared to accept that a challenge where one picks
the route and the other picks the mode is not a fair test?

There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And his name is Wriggly Woo
There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And all that he can do
Is wriggle all night
And wriggle all day
Whatever else the people do say
There's a worm at the bottom of the garden
And his name is Wriggly Woo

I see. You are bottling again.
Old March 1st 12, 06:59 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Dave - Cyclists wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
[...]

It is not *I* who insists that a bike will always win a "commuter challenge"
and goes on to try to "prove" it by arranging a short race... er...
"challenge"... between two points at which no-one lives and none of the
participants work and where (usually) there is some politically-imposed
obstacle to driving.

But if you are resiling from the usual UKRC savants' position, I am glad to
hear it.

If a car and a bicycle were raced down an airport runway, the car
would nearly always win.

That wouldn't be a realistic commuter challenge, would it?

The hallmarks of a road commuting journey (for most commuters in the UK in
2012) would be a journey starting at low speed in a residential street,
passing upward through the highway hierarchy to a main route where speed
would potentially be anything from 40 to 70 mpoh, followed by a reverse
version of the beginning of the journey. No-one commutes to work purely along
a motorway, though a few (and it is a relative few) travel so far on a
motorway or similar that that becomes the defining part of their journey.

The key is the changes in conditions and speed that such a journey involves.

However, as we have seen numerous times on Top Gear and other
programmes, over urban commutes, the bike very often comes up as
faster...

....when other modes are hobbled.

It is trivial to manipulate a situation where a car will often win,
for example between two junctions of the M2.

I will allow you the last word.

I would prefer to leave that with you, provided only that you do not try to
wriggle out of the challenges issued for the silly reasons you have been
putting forward so far.

You may not wish to take them up for a variety of reasons (not all of which
you might wish to disclose), but to complain that you would prefer to do the
driving (in order to be the "winner") whilst the other chap is the cyclist
(in order to be the "loser") is turn logic upside down.
Old March 1st 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

QUOTE:http://road.cc/content/news/53683-co...ial-frame-slip...

Old March 5th 12, 05:47 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:39:28 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

How about it Cwispin?

Yes, OK. Deptford to Canary Wharf it is then.

Shall we say 7.45am on Friday? Don't forget your van.

As you well know, that was not the challenge issued. The relevant
locations must be nearly 40 miles respectively from those spots.

Wriggling again?

You bottled it, didn't you?