Are the Worlds in the wrong place?

Old October 10th 04, 04:06 AM
k.j.papai

"Davide Tosi" wrote in message
Jason Spaceman wrote:

From the article:
10/5/2004
After Spain coast to their fourth title in six years, the question
once again arises of whether the world championships take place at the
best time to ensure the best field.

Crap.
If you take the top 5 riders of the UCI rankings and the top 5 of the
World
Cup classment, they were all there except for Rebellin and we all know
that
the reasons for which Davide wasn't racing have nothing to do with the
date
of the event.

Too bad the Worlds are not a week before the Vuelta.
Then you would definitely see a REAL and SUPER VALID champion.

-Ken

Old October 11th 04, 07:44 PM
Ryan Barrett

What the hell kind of answer is that? The job of a pro cyclist is to please
his sponsor and ride their bike at the races chosen by them, not by you or
the UCI.

Right. Most sponsors would be pleased by having the world champion on
their team. I think for a one day rider it is one of the biggest
accomplishments a rider can have, plus they get to wear the jersey for
a year bringing more attention to the sponsor.

I still hold that the riders know when the world's are and are more
than capable of planning their season around that date, and that those
who care about it (being world champ) show up prepared (if selected).
Old October 12th 04, 07:50 AM
Kenny

"Chris" wrote in message ...
"Ryan Barrett" wrote in message
om...
I am sick of this crap. If people don't want to show up to the
world's that is their choice. It is their job to race bikes.

What the hell kind of answer is that? The job of a pro cyclist is to please
his sponsor and ride their bike at the races chosen by them, not by you or
the UCI.

They
know when the world's are and have plenty of time to prepare for them.

The issue is not time "enough" but "when". Look at the start list in the
years prior and after the calendar change. The proof is there for all to see
(even you, but you have to look first). The results are terrible and not
likely to ever get better when the World's are so late in the season. It
should either be the last big race before the Tour de France (at the end of
the spring classics)

Sinds when is the end of the spring classics equal to the start of the
Tour?? IMO, there are 2 months in between.

(roughly the way it used to be). That will ensure that not only will the
classics hunters be on form,

Not if the worlds take place in May or June.

Kenny
Old October 13th 04, 03:21 AM
DB Cooper

Just on the wrong place on the calendar. Look at all of the top riders who
just will not risk burnout for a late September race. Member back in the
day when it was around Sept. 1st ?