Airplane travel with bicycles

Old January 11th 05, 06:24 PM
Greg Anderson

Default Airplane travel with bicycles

Greetings. My wife and I are going to be traveling overseas (from the
US to Bonaire), and our bikes are going with us on this trip. I'm
getting a couple of bike boxes from a cousin who works at a sport/bike
store, and I've gotten advice from family and a few web pages about what
to take off, and how to pad the bikes.

I was wondering if anyone in the group had any experiences to share
of things that might not be obvious that help ensure that a bike gets to
its destination in one piece. Stuff like, um, "don't pack your tools
with the bike," or "definitely pack your tools with the bike."
Basically, I think I've got the "book smarts" to pack things up well,
but if anyone's had any gotcha's from a previous experience, I'd be
interested in being enlightened.

TIA!

Greg

#1: Take a photo of your bike before it goes in the box, after it goes in
the box, and perhaps most important, get a photo of the box as it's being
handed over to the baggage people. You need evidence to demonstrate that it
was in great shape (especially the box) when they took possession of it.

#2: On the return, keep in mind that it's entirely possible that, at the
departing airport, the security people may require you to take the bike, and
all other contents, out of the box for inspection. This creates quite the
spectacle, as people often pack all manner of soiled clothing in their bike
boxes, which is all on display for passers-by. This ritual is repeated often
at CDG (Paris).

#3: Whatever your favorite sports drink is, chances are high it won't be
available where you go. If you're partial, say, to Cytomax, you'd better
bring it with you. Alternatives exist, but if you're hung up on a particular
one, better to stock up beforehand.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old January 11th 05, 11:20 PM
Mike Latondresse

#3: Whatever your favorite sports drink is, chances are high it
won't be available where you go. If you're partial, say, to
Cytomax, you'd better bring it with you.

I won't comment on the bike packing practice you recommend because my
experiences are different but I had a buddy who brought his own drink
powder in a large water bottle taped in his cage. Needless to say CDG
security picked his bike to unpack and took a fit when they saw the
powder in the bottle. Neither his offer to taste it nor all claims
that it was what it was avoided a 40 minute farce, and he finally
ended up tossing it down the toilet even though security really knew
it was sports drink.
Old January 11th 05, 11:23 PM
Greg Anderson

#3: Whatever your favorite sports drink is, chances are high it
won't be available where you go. If you're partial, say, to
Cytomax, you'd better bring it with you.

I won't comment on the bike packing practice you recommend because my
experiences are different but I had a buddy who brought his own drink
powder in a large water bottle taped in his cage. Needless to say CDG
security picked his bike to unpack and took a fit when they saw the
powder in the bottle. Neither his offer to taste it nor all claims
that it was what it was avoided a 40 minute farce, and he finally
ended up tossing it down the toilet even though security really knew
it was sports drink.

Luckily, my wife and I are both imbibers of water on our rides. We're
not hard-core enough to pay for liquid refreshment. Besides, on an
island that's only 25 miles long, we'd have to travel it twice to really
start getting tired. Water will suffice for us.

*Goes to take pictures of the bikes before the tear-down begins*
Old January 12th 05, 02:28 AM
Frank Krygowski

Greg Anderson wrote:

Greetings. My wife and I are going to be traveling overseas (from the
US to Bonaire), and our bikes are going with us on this trip. I'm
getting a couple of bike boxes from a cousin who works at a sport/bike
store, and I've gotten advice from family and a few web pages about what
to take off, and how to pad the bikes.

I was wondering if anyone in the group had any experiences to share
of things that might not be obvious that help ensure that a bike gets to
its destination in one piece. Stuff like, um, "don't pack your tools
with the bike," or "definitely pack your tools with the bike."
Basically, I think I've got the "book smarts" to pack things up well,
but if anyone's had any gotcha's from a previous experience, I'd be
interested in being enlightened.

Don't imagine that "FRAGILE!" or "THIS END UP!" will mean anything to
baggage handlers. We got to watch as our fragile, this end (i.e.
toptube) up bikes were stacked on their sides on the roof of a luggage
truck, then pushed nonchalantly down to the ground. Quite a test of a
packing job.

We've flown overseas only twice. The boxed bikes were treated as I just
described. The other time (long ago) British Airways didn't require
boxing. Our bikes traveled assembled, except for turned handlebars and
removed pedals. They were treated wonderfully.

I'd say, if that option is available, take it.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old January 12th 05, 02:45 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I won't comment on the bike packing practice you recommend because my
experiences are different but I had a buddy who brought his own drink
powder in a large water bottle taped in his cage. Needless to say CDG
security picked his bike to unpack and took a fit when they saw the
powder in the bottle. Neither his offer to taste it nor all claims
that it was what it was avoided a 40 minute farce, and he finally
ended up tossing it down the toilet even though security really knew
it was sports drink.

Best to bring a sealed can of Cytomax (or whatever) and you're less likely
to have trouble. But here's the weird thing. One year, I brought my Cytomax
in 10 or 12 baggies, each one with enough for one bottle. Little baggies
with white powder. What in the world was I thinking??? Didn't even raise an
eyebrow with security. Weird.

If you haven't been to CDG before, both your buddy and I can attest to the
fact that it's a very strange place. Arrival isn't too much of an issue, but
departure? That's the only airport that I make it a point to be there 2-3
hours before my flight out. The weird maze of tubes (where you go down to go
up), the convoluted lines that snake all over the place; it's as if it were
intentionally designed to be an inefficient as possible. I actually look
forward to it now, having been through there 6 or 7 times and knowing the
ropes. Gives me a chance to help others who can't figure out what's going
on. I have yet to take the RER there yet (difficult with a bike).

Old January 12th 05, 06:20 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Greg Anderson wrote:

snip

I was wondering if anyone in the group had any experiences to share
of things that might not be obvious that help ensure that a bike gets to
its destination in one piece. Stuff like, um, "don't pack your tools
with the bike," or "definitely pack your tools with the bike."
Basically, I think I've got the "book smarts" to pack things up well,
but if anyone's had any gotcha's from a previous experience, I'd be
interested in being enlightened.

You may want to remove your rear derailleur, wrap it in a piece of
newspaper, and use some tape to tie it to your frame. In my experience,
this is the only part of the bicycle that protrudes enough to be damaged.

I will usually pack my clothes in plastic bags, and use them as padding
in various places in the box. Empty water bottles also are useful (both
bicycle water bottles, and just empty thin plastic water bottles.

When you tape the box, go all the way around the box with the tape,
don't just use small strips to tape the box shut.

If you put stuff into the box, make sure that nothing can get loose and
come out the hand-holds in the box.

If you are removing the wheels for the bike to fit into tbe box, be
especially careful to pack your QR skewers (often it is better not to
have the skewers in the hub as they tend to poke through the side of the
box). Antecdote time---I was on a trip to Russia, and one guy had had
his tandem "professionally boxed" by a bike shop. Only they hadn't
included the QR skewers. There is no place in Russia to buy QR skewers.
By the grace of g-d, before leaving on this trip, I threw a bunch of
miscellaneous used parts into a duffle bag, and had included two
skewers. They were way too long, but he found some rusty thick nuts on a
chain link fence behind the hotel, and removed them to use as spacers,
and went 800km like this. This is what is referred to as fixing your
bike with roadside trash.

If the wheels are removed, then you'll want to put blocks of wood
between the dropouts.

Old January 12th 05, 07:24 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Don't imagine that "FRAGILE!" or "THIS END UP!" will mean anything to
baggage handlers. We got to watch as our fragile, this end (i.e. toptube)
up bikes were stacked on their sides on the roof of a luggage truck, then
pushed nonchalantly down to the ground. Quite a test of a packing job.

My favorite place to watch baggage handling is Minneapolis. Amazing the way
stuff gets thrown off the planes, or falls 10' (or more) off conveyer belts,
or falls off the luggage trams. All right in plain view of the terminal
windows. Totally bizarre. Almost as bizarre as noticing the ground crew
there speaks Fargo-style Minnesotan, big-time. Not the people inside the
terminal, just the ground crew people.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 12th 05, 02:40 PM

Given the cost to take your bike on the airplane, and the troubles it
causes; perhaps renting bikes would be easier. My bet would be to
Google bike rentals in Bonaire and invest in a phonecall to answer
specific questions.

Just a thought. Have a fun trip !

Old January 12th 05, 06:26 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Given the cost to take your bike on the airplane, and the troubles it
causes; perhaps renting bikes would be easier. My bet would be to
Google bike rentals in Bonaire and invest in a phonecall to answer
specific questions.

Just a thought. Have a fun trip !

But there's something special about having your own bike with you, and
remembering all the places it's taken you when you're out riding.