Seen in another place - road rage

Old May 4th 05, 11:45 AM
wafflycat

Default Seen in another place - road rage

Seen on the CTT forum

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?s=3c9a33f551400f631ba4c9a2dca0f296&showt opic=799

"This just cropped up on our "bicycle user group" intranet at work:

Severin Carrell, a journalist at The Independent, would like to hear about
recent cases (last three years) of cyclists being assaulted by drivers (or
had a vehicle deliberately driven into them) when the cyclist is very clear
they were in the right. She is particularly keen to hear about cases
reported to the police, and whether any action was taken.

Please contact directly by email, entitling your
response 'Assault while cycling'. She has warned that she may not be able to
reply immediately. "

Cheers, helen s

Old May 4th 05, 12:06 PM
elyob

"wafflycat" wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message
Seen on the CTT forum

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?s=3c9a33f551400f631ba4c9a2dca0f296&showt opic=799

"This just cropped up on our "bicycle user group" intranet at work:

Severin Carrell, a journalist at The Independent, would like to hear about
recent cases (last three years) of cyclists being assaulted by drivers (or
had a vehicle deliberately driven into them) when the cyclist is very
clear they were in the right. She is particularly keen to hear about cases
reported to the police, and whether any action was taken.

Please contact directly by email, entitling
your response 'Assault while cycling'. She has warned that she may not be
able to reply immediately. "

Would that include the both times when I was verbal at them first and they
then tried to run me over, the latter the police were called but said it was
just a private argument despite the fact the guy was also trying to hit me
with a cosh? However, they never caught up with me, so I suppose I don't
qualify

Old May 4th 05, 12:34 PM
LSMike

"elyob" wrote in message
k...

Would that include the both times when I was verbal at them first and they
then tried to run me over, the latter the police were called but said it
was just a private argument despite the fact the guy was also trying to
hit me with a cosh? However, they never caught up with me, so I suppose I
don't qualify

Had an altercation with a cabbie yesterday evening, I was on my skates
though. Tried to run me over in the bus lane and told me I shouldn't be on
the road. 15-18mph on the pavement through rush hour pedestrians is a good
idea? I think not.

Old May 4th 05, 12:47 PM
elyob

"LSMike" wrote in message
"elyob" wrote in message
k...

Would that include the both times when I was verbal at them first and
they then tried to run me over, the latter the police were called but
said it was just a private argument despite the fact the guy was also
trying to hit me with a cosh? However, they never caught up with me, so I
suppose I don't qualify

Had an altercation with a cabbie yesterday evening, I was on my skates
though. Tried to run me over in the bus lane and told me I shouldn't be
on the road. 15-18mph on the pavement through rush hour pedestrians is a
good idea? I think not.

Went on the rollerstroll on Sunday. Take 100+ skaters down the Thames Path
at Hammersmith a good idea on a bank holiday? I think not.

Old May 4th 05, 02:31 PM
Phil Cook

LSMike wrote:

"elyob" wrote in message
. uk...

Would that include the both times when I was verbal at them first and they
then tried to run me over, the latter the police were called but said it
was just a private argument despite the fact the guy was also trying to
hit me with a cosh? However, they never caught up with me, so I suppose I
don't qualify

Had an altercation with a cabbie yesterday evening, I was on my skates
though. Tried to run me over in the bus lane and told me I shouldn't be on
the road. 15-18mph on the pavement through rush hour pedestrians is a good
idea? I think not.

Nor was skating down the road ISTM.
Old May 4th 05, 02:38 PM
LSMike

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
LSMike wrote:

Had an altercation with a cabbie yesterday evening, I was on my skates
though. Tried to run me over in the bus lane and told me I shouldn't be
on
the road. 15-18mph on the pavement through rush hour pedestrians is a
good
idea? I think not.

Nor was skating down the road ISTM.

Why would you say that?

Old May 4th 05, 02:40 PM
LSMike

"elyob" wrote in message
k...

Went on the rollerstroll on Sunday. Take 100+ skaters down the Thames Path
at Hammersmith a good idea on a bank holiday? I think not.

I don't know the area and wasn't on that skate. What happened?

Old May 4th 05, 02:49 PM
iakobski

Nor was skating down the road ISTM.

I would have thought the road was by far the most sensible place to be.

The road is there for the use of all - whether they are in a car, on a
bike, walking, skating or riding a horse (and many more besides).

Would the taxi-driver have had a go at someone riding a horse in the
bus lane - I doubt it. Does he complain every time he is slowed down by
a bus stopping to pick up passengers? Probably not. How about marching
band - should they be confined to the pavement?

If anybody's granny is allowed to cycle at 3mph to the post office, why
shouldn't a skater be allowed to go "as slow as" 15 mph?

Old May 4th 05, 02:57 PM
dkahn400

LSMike wrote:
"Phil Cook" wrote in message

Nor was skating down the road ISTM.

Why would you say that?

I wondered that too. When I skate in the street I tend to transition
between the road and the pavement quite naturally depending on my
speed, the density of pedestrians, the amount of traffic and the
quality of the surfaces. I'm not as happy mixing it with cars as I am
on the bike, but then I'm nowhere near as good a skater as you. Would
you happen to know what the legal situation is for street skaters?

--
Dave...

Old May 4th 05, 02:59 PM
elyob

"LSMike" wrote in message

"elyob" wrote in message
k...

Went on the rollerstroll on Sunday. Take 100+ skaters down the Thames
Path at Hammersmith a good idea on a bank holiday? I think not.

I don't know the area and wasn't on that skate. What happened?

It was a Hyde Park to Ealing skate. I didn't make the full skate, being my
first of the year. Not sure who checked out the route, but at the first stop
they said "There's a section of gravel coming up in the next bit, not too
long", but I dropped out before this. Being a nice day, the pubs (Black Lion
in Hammersmith/Thames Path and the other two) were jammed, there was a big
cheer, but I also heard quite a few comments from peds who were miffed. You
can imagine 100+ skaters in single file created a bit of a change.

Personally I will stick to road only ones, or will just do paths on my own
or in small groups. Fitted new wheels and insoles as per recommendation and
still feeling the vibration. I really do wish they'd redo all the roads in
London with the smooth stuff All in all it started well, and I was
getting tired so probably just losing my rag.

Anyway, good to be back out and plenty more exercise to be had this year.
The FNS will have to wait until I get quicker. Maybe I need new bearings.

Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Spring ride in the Sierra [email protected] Rides 0 May 27th 04 02:59 PM
Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
PA riders: Easton to Philly? Hal Rides 0 July 18th 03 03:53 PM