Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 24th 04, 05:17 AM
G.T.

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Dan Volker wrote:

As long as your happy riding your lump of coal, I'm happy for you :-)

You're a lost cause, stick to the road, you have no idea what mountain
biking is. If you need certain equipment to have fun, you have a problem.

Greg

Old February 24th 04, 12:13 PM
Stephen Baker

Dan V says:

snip stupidity

( this is aVO2 max discussion which is
probably way over your head :-)

Ooooohhhhh..... big man!

And when you were a 6 year old, you probably had as much fun playing with
your lump of coal, as I did as a 6 year old playing with a Tonka Toy....I
guess its great that you still can enjoy simple pleasures.

Aaarrgghhhhhh ..... Is this turning into another "I spent more than you so I
must be right" thread? Those're fun!

Steve
Old February 24th 04, 12:15 PM
Stephen Baker

GP-TJ says:

I'm in
New England. Rhode Island actually. Not too many mountains here either but
I have fun.

Me, too. Jamestown. Whereabouts are you?

Steve
Old February 24th 04, 04:18 PM
G.T.

Dan V says:

snip stupidity

( this is aVO2 max discussion which is
probably way over your head :-)

I missed that earlier as I was in a bit of a hurry. Just because I've come
to the conclusion that keeping track of numbers is only helpful for
professional athletes or anal morons named Dan V. doesn't mean I don't know
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more about fitness and training than you do. It's a waste
of time for the rest of us as it detracts from the reason we ride mtn bikes:
to have fun. And we're still getting fitter because we ride rather than
worry about some stupid ****ing numbers. I quit racing years ago because of
boring asses like you that were sucking the life out of the sport.

Greg

Old February 24th 04, 05:37 PM
Dan Volker

"G.T." wrote in message
om...

[...]

Fine Greg,
I've always enjoyed working against people like you in business or in
sports---you're so into shortcuts that you don't even know what you don't
know, and you don't care.
And how conveniant that you don't like racing ( organized or between
friends) ---so the physical limitations caused by your simple minded view of
riding, will be easy to miss for you or anyone you ride with.

If you ever did race, my bet is that you quit because it was too hard for
you..as in to shortcuts as you are.
One more point before I stop wasting my time with you......knowing what VO2
max is, and how it works, does not mean you have to go out and test
it---understanding it is more important so that you will know "if" there is
anything you can do to make climing, or fast flats, easier. Actually
measuring it would be a waste of time for most people, including me. Knowing
that you need 6 high protein meals per day, rather than 3 average meals per
day, is another piece of knowledge that can help enormously to allow a rider
to have an easier time on climbs and fast sections, and there are many other
things a rider can do to make riding easier and more fun---but learning what
they are is just too boring for a "free spirit" like you.

Just where do you do most of your riding anyway?? After hearing all your big
talk, I might want to try some of these ultimate trail rides, and see first
hand how a Single speeder has such a big advantage in having fun riding ,
over someone on a geared dual suspension bike.

Dan V

Old February 24th 04, 05:53 PM
Ken in KC

Default Wow!

"I don't know Greg, maybe the gene pool you ride in is defective, or
you
really don't know what a "variety of terrain means".
Gears make a bike go faster in varried terrain. If a single speed bike
was
really competitive with multi-geared bikes in varied terrain , then
the Tour
de France would be ridden by a few guys on SS's....clue to Greg, it
will
never happen."

Actually, it already has happened. Several times.

Your arguments are based on the Green Eggs and Ham Principal. Its
funny, in a sad sort of way.

You seem intent on defending your opinion, despite the fact that you
openly admit you don't know much or anything about singlespeeds. J.D.
rides every day in Fruita/Grand Junction Colorado on a SS, yet you
discount his opinion based on what you "think" is true. And what you
think is true is based on the admittedly ignorant opinion you have on
singlespeeds, you seem to me running around on a big mobius strip of
logic.

Your insistence on asking for names of ranked pros who ride
singlespeeds only furthers the demonstration that you don't get it
(Travis Brown, Cameron Chambers, BTW).
Old February 24th 04, 06:15 PM
Dan Volker

"Ken in KC" wrote in message
om...
"I don't know Greg, maybe the gene pool you ride in is defective, or
you
really don't know what a "variety of terrain means".
Gears make a bike go faster in varried terrain. If a single speed bike
was
really competitive with multi-geared bikes in varied terrain , then
the Tour
de France would be ridden by a few guys on SS's....clue to Greg, it
will
never happen."

Actually, it already has happened. Several times.

If it happened decades ago, there used to be huge differences in fitness
between the riders--today, due to much more effective training, you are not
going to find a rider that is so strong that they can afford to handicap
themsleves on the Tour with a single speed bike ( even if this could work
for someone in the 30's or 40's, or even in Merckx's day.

Your arguments are based on the Green Eggs and Ham Principal. Its
funny, in a sad sort of way.

You seem intent on defending your opinion, despite the fact that you
openly admit you don't know much or anything about singlespeeds. J.D.
rides every day in Fruita/Grand Junction Colorado on a SS, yet you
discount his opinion based on what you "think" is true. And what you
think is true is based on the admittedly ignorant opinion you have on
singlespeeds, you seem to me running around on a big mobius strip of
logic.

My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me, since I see the whole "purest" nonsense you guys
are spouting off about, is a bunch of ego crap for little wimpy guys with
big mouths.

It's not going to be as much fun for a bigger rider, and if you can't
figure out why, strap 50 pounds of weight into a backpack, and go out on
your rigid SS bike and pretend you are a muscular rider who weighs 210
pounds.
Your ride will suck, and then you should understand what's wrong with your
logic.

Dan V

Old February 24th 04, 06:22 PM
bomba

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:37:06 -0500, Dan Volker wrote:

Fine Greg,
I've always enjoyed working against people like you in business or in
sports---you're so into shortcuts that you don't even know what you don't
know, and you don't care.
And how conveniant that you don't like racing ( organized or between
friends) ---so the physical limitations caused by your simple minded view of
riding, will be easy to miss for you or anyone you ride with.

Sweet Jesus. I thought you were just getting a bit of a rough time, but
you truly are an idiot.

One day, I hope you discover what mountain biking is /really/ about.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old February 24th 04, 06:37 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:15:50 -0500, "Dan Volker"
wrote:

My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me, since I see the whole "purest" nonsense you guys
are spouting off about, is a bunch of ego crap for little wimpy guys with
big mouths.

ROTFLMPWAO!

JD = little wimpy guy.

I love this Dan guy!

It's not going to be as much fun for a bigger rider, and if you can't
figure out why, strap 50 pounds of weight into a backpack, and go out on
your rigid SS bike and pretend you are a muscular rider who weighs 210
pounds.
Your ride will suck, and then you should understand what's wrong with your
logic.

Danny, "logic" doesn't seem to be your strong suit. In case any doubt
remained, your analogy above proves it.

Old February 24th 04, 07:16 PM
BB

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:37:25 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:15:50 -0500, "Dan Volker" wrote:

My insistence is based largely on the idea that riding a rigid single speed
would be "less fun" for me, since I see the whole "purest" nonsense you guys
are spouting off about, is a bunch of ego crap for little wimpy guys with
big mouths.

ROTFLMPWAO!

PW=? puny white? panty wearing?

JD = little wimpy guy.

LOL

There is none so blind...

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)