Dear Abby on Paths

Old February 13th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Eric Vey

Default Dear Abby on Paths

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20071123

DEAR ABBY: I have a quick question about bike etiquette. Who has the
right-of-way on a sidewalk/bikepath when walking? I'm tired of bike
riders flying up behind me, dinging a bell and expecting me to jump out
of their way. I would think the slower-moving entity has the
right-of-way and cyclists must either wait until they can pass or get
off and walk. -- ON FOOT IN ORLANDO

DEAR ON FOOT: I don't know what the official rules of the road for
bicyclists are in your community. However, in most places I have been,
pedestrians are not supposed to walk in bike lanes -- and cyclists
should not ride on sidewalks. That said, the minute I heard a biker ring
his bell, my sense of survival would warn me to move to the right so the
person could pass. Failure to yield could cause great bodily harm.

http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/467914.html

DEAR ABBY: “On Foot in Orlando” wrote about being nearly run down by
bicycles going too fast, especially when they don’t warn that they’re
approaching. When I’m on my bike, I always slow down and call out “On
your left!” to warn the walker that I’m passing.

On the other hand, while I’m riding, I frequently encounter walkers
three or four abreast, or pedestrians walking dead center or meandering
zigzag down a path. In those cases, I ring my bell, say, “On your left,”
and slow almost to a complete stop — only to be totally ignored, leaving
me with no alternative but to ride on the grass.

The obvious solution is for walkers and riders to be considerate of one
another, recognizing that we share a common road through life. — Celia
in Missoula, Mont.

DEAR CELIA: I agree with you on that. Good manners can smooth many
potentially abrasive situations. Read on:

DEAR ABBY: Where I live, there are no bike lanes separate from the
walking lanes on the shared path. I wish bikers here had bicycle bells,
but they don’t seem to have ever heard of them, nor do they say “coming
through” or “on your left” — they just come whizzing by. — Walker and
Biker in New Hampshire

DEAR ABBY: I am neither a biker nor a walker on a path. A cyclist
ringing his bell signaling me to move would do no good, so I guess I’d
be one of those ending up with “great bodily harm,” as you put it. You
see, I’m hard-of-hearing and could not hear that dinging bell behind me.

So, bikers, do not totally rely on your bell to signal people to move.
If there are pedestrians where you’re riding, I urge you to use caution
in case somebody might have a hearing impairment. — Hard-of-Hearing in
West Texas

DEAR ABBY: When bicyclists, inline skaters, joggers, walkers and
tricycle riders all share the same path, the general rule is that the
slowest person keeps to the right. This allows the skaters and cyclists
to pass without causing alarm.

Unfortunately, when people don’t observe basic courtesies on shared
pathways, everyone becomes frustrated. — Ann in Branford, Conn.

DEAR READERS: That’s right. Obviously the rule should be to use caution
on shared pathways, whether you are walking or riding — and instead of
taking for granted that you have the right of way, show consideration
for others and practice good manners.
Old February 14th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

The solution to brain dead pedestrians:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/outtaMyWay_1.mpg
and