Sportsman saved by helmet. Makes you wonder how light a cycle helmetcould be and still work right.

Old July 24th 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Sportsman saved by helmet. Makes you wonder how light a cycle helmet could be and still work right.

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote: On Tuesday, July 22, 2014
7:54:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You

know that.

Good point. Sounds like it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

When it's really slick the prudent man will sit down and slide, pants be
damned. Not that it's dignified, or even easy if one has to hold a
bicycle in his lap.
Old July 24th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/07/14 23:49, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:54:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/22/2014 7:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I don't know how he went OTB. This grate is right at a dog-leg in
the driveway at the bottom of a steep pitch. His front wheel
probably did wash out, or else he somehow lost control and got
caught on the lip of the grate. I'll cross-examine him
mercilessly when he returns to work.

This is a dangerous descent. It gets incredibly slick and lots
of people have fallen. One guy broke his hip. The building put
down some non-skid and has resurfaced the driveway two or three
times in the last 20 years, but it has gotten slippery again.
The grate is slippery too, and I take it really easy on wet days.
I fell a long time ago and don't want to do it again now that I
have become brittle.

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the
bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You
know that.

I wonder if that's because people get off and walk their bicycle, then
slip and fall anyway?

--
JS

Old July 24th 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote: On Tuesday, July 22, 2014
7:54:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You

know that.

Good point. Sounds like it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

When it's really slick the prudent man will sit down and slide, pants be
damned. Not that it's dignified, or even easy if one has to hold a
bicycle in his lap.

My father describes coming down a hill and being caught by snow and/or
ice. He hopped off the back and slid down on his feet holding onto the
saddle. He was a pretty good bike handler, though he has also said that
was possibly a lot more luck than judgement :-)

Old July 25th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote: On Tuesday, July 22, 2014
7:54:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You

know that.

Good point. Sounds like it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

When it's really slick the prudent man will sit down and slide, pants be
damned. Not that it's dignified, or even easy if one has to hold a
bicycle in his lap.

In that incident when I slipped and sat down on wet grass while walking
my bike, I suppose I'd have been better off by sitting down first and
sliding down that hill. If I'd done that, the helmet I was carrying
wouldn't have broken.

Ah, hindsight!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 25th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:16:17 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
[...]

Yes, if it is icy or wet and you're in cleats. You could probably walk down it in tennis shoes when it's wet -- except that it is a scary place to walk. It's a narrow chute with no pedestrian facility, and cars can't see you from the top.

To follow up on the original story, my workmate did not slip on the steel grate on the ramp. He hit the round grate over a floor drain near the lift-arm gate at the bottom of the ramp. He basically dropped in to a pot hole and went semi-OTB (with the usual side-ways component). You have to watch for that pot hole when you come flying down the hill. There are bones all around it from dead cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 25th 14, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:39:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/24/2014 9:49 AM, jbeattie wrote: On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:54:29
PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This sounds like a place where it would be logical to walk the bike, no?

Absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than bicycling. You

know that.

Good point. Sounds like it's time to outlaw walking. Why, if only ONE
life can be saved...!

I read that some 450 people die from falling.... out of bed, annually.
True, bicycle related deaths are higher but any accidental death is a
disaster and we must make wearing protective garments mandatory for
sleepers as well as cyclists!
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 14, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:16:17 +1000, James
wrote:

[...]

You don't need walk a bicycle to push to fall down. Just go down to
the Pub on a Saturday night... unless you pick one with no beer :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.