Olympic cyclist Annemiek Van Vleuten in intensive care after horrific crash

Old August 8th 16, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Olympic cyclist Annemiek Van Vleuten in intensive care after horrific crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3v1SWg5cw

Helmets don't help?

Cheers
Old August 8th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/7/2016 11:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3v1SWg5cw

Helmets don't help?

Still trolling, I see.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 8th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 8:09:15 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3v1SWg5cw

Helmets don't help?

I knew this was coming! I would certainly want a helmet in that situation, which involved a combination of really bad circumstances -- high-siding into a curb and doing a head-stand. Whether the helmet actually mitigated any injury is a conclusion that I would have to leave to the biomechanical experts. Looking at the head-strike, and in light of her long hair, it is highly likely to have mitigated scalp injury.

Apart from the helmet issue, the take-away might be to get your weight back and take a wider line. I would have gone to the far left and then cut the apex of that turn. She was hugging the far right and ran right into the apex, locked her rear wheel and high-sided. At least if one takes a wider line and wipes out, it's a pretty tame low-side crash -- except for the curb, which was the really killer.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 8th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 08/08/2016 10:26 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yeah I would take anything that would help in that case.

What was up with those "rut" things along the left side of the road? It
looked to me that her wheel caught that.

Check this:
http://gizmodo.com/the-science-behin...zed-1784950831

A male racer broke both collar bones there before this race.

Old August 8th 16, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

The point is that sometimes **** happens even though you are extremely experienced and capable.

Cheers
Old August 8th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 10:48:18 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
[...]

I've read elsewhere that the bicyclists didn't like that course and that they considered it very dangerous.

You can ride down a hill at speed after a rain but after the roads have dried and in a corner/turn hit some loose sand that was washed onto the road but that you can't see until you're on it with the result that you slide out.. The same can happen with wet or even dry leaves.

Cheers
Old August 8th 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 11:09:15 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr3v1SWg5cw

Helmets don't help?

Cheers

the break here.....was a spec prob the first videor...explained the woman landed on the Belgian blocks on her spine...so she was let lay before snapping her spinal cord...if not on the second bounce.

see the second medic hold his hands out gesturing to NOT move her.
Old August 8th 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/8/2016 11:52 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

.... while walking, while running, while jogging, while driving, while
ice skating...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 8th 16, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 4:52:30 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In this case, **** happening was given a rather big helping hand by an escapable condition of racing, being on the limit already, with the corollary that you have no reserves for dealing with adverse circumstances, like the ridges in the road you identify.

Andre Jute
Old August 8th 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 7:48:18 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
[...]

On that gizmodo.com link, I think the best follow-up comment was this one:

"watch the video again, her rear drifted out BEFORE the paint. It was over application of the breaks, and then a panic reaction to the drift to try to buck forward on the front w/ breaks which went too far and locked the front. If anything, the front tire stopped/turned on the paint more aggressively than she expected, causing the rear to break free.
Often that “paint” is really a lot of reflective grit, which when dry is like worn sandpaper- which will grab.

It would be nice to see some crash barriers other than a high curb on the outside of the descent turns, especially decreasing radius like this one."

If I had been racing that course, I would have been in the left lane at the beginning of the clip, taking the hard right from the top of the turn. She was going too fast for that tight inside line, braked, lost rear wheel traction, over-compensated with her front brake and high-sided. As noted by others, the dangerous part of that course was the "road furniture" -- the curb. The road itself looks well paved and it even appears to be banked in the right direction, although it kind of breaks lane-center. It's a tight turn, but the world is filled with steep, tight turns. The European racers see them all the time.
-- Jay Beattie.