Who is a real cyclist ?

Old August 29th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
OK

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just use bike for
exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main transporter.
And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist using for a main transporter.
Old August 29th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

OK wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on
two-wheels is the real cyclist in my view.
Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike
lane who just use bike for exercise or fun
and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be
Dutch and Denmark cyclist using for
a main transporter.

Damn right

Nah... all of these guys are real cyclists in
my view.

And, some of the people who use bikes for
transport also enjoy cycling and do it partly
for the fun and exercise of it.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old August 30th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 5:35:29 AM UTC-5, OK wrote:
Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just use bike for
exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main transporter.
And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist using for a main transporter.

A long time ago I commuted on a bike and rode it as transport since it was my only transport. AND I rode bikes for fun and recreation too. Was I a DOUBLE REAL CYCLIST????
Old August 30th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 12:41:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 5:35:29 AM UTC-5, OK wrote:
Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just use bike for
exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main transporter.
And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist using for a main transporter.

A long time ago I commuted on a bike and rode it as transport since it was my only transport. AND I rode bikes for fun and recreation too. Was I a DOUBLE REAL CYCLIST????

Coming back from lunch, I saw a homeless guy with all his possession strapped to a bike. It had no chain, and the freewheel was flipped to the left side. He was pushing it down the sidewalk with his feet. Is he a real cyclist? A real scooterist?

I've commuted for 50 years (if you count school), raced for half of that and still ride with racers or former racers on the weekend, but I wear Lycra which is a disqualification from real-cycledom -- and I have some pretty nice bikes, which is a double disqualification.

Just the other day, my son and I were commuting to work when we encountered a real cyclist who wanted to prove that he was more real than the two guys in Lycra by sitting up and slowing down once we caught up. It was an obvious FU that lasted for about three seconds until we found a gap in traffic and shot by. Buh-bye real cyclist!

Half of the real cyclists I see don't look like they're having real fun. Cycling is like some sort of burden they bear. Most of them don't know where to point their lights and couldn't fix a broken spoke, but dammit, they're the real deal!

Now, there are the real-real cyclists, such as myself and a few of my close friends. Even my son has not paid the price to be a real-real cyclists, although he may get there soon. He does have a job in the industry, and he is fast, but he's a lousy mechanic and far too fashionable. To be a real-real cyclist, you have to be in the magical pocket between pretentious retro wooly and spray-on lycra and have lots of tools. Old local team jerseys are required along with stories of yore and daring-do. However, if you use the term "winning move" to describe anything you've done in the past, you're immediately disqualified. No watt counting either.

-- Jay Beattie

Old August 31st 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm so damned old that before learning to ride a bike, I pushed scooters when they were still called "Go Devils". So I am real by seniority, no matter that I now ride only for exercise.
Old August 31st 18, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 03:35:27 -0700 (PDT), OK
wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?
Old August 31st 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?

People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.

I think we are much more likely to accept and acknowledge those we
perceive as being like ourselves - although that's relative, and depends
on context. I remember being at an outdoor restaurant in Venice and
meeting a black American couple who appeared to be several economic
levels above us. As fellow Americans in a foreign land, we chatted like
old friends for nearly an hour. But I bet if we met them in downtown
Chicago, they wouldn't have bothered talking to "those bike riders."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist
in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just
use bike for exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main
transporter. And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist
using for a main transporter.

If you're riding a bicycle, you're a real cyclist. Why be judgey about
it?

People are amazingly tribal. I actually do wave at the super-low-income
guys riding past me on bikes - not that I see that many. But most of
them don't respond, just as many of the guys in "Look, I'm a racer!"
garb scowling along at 20+ mph don't respond to waves.

Why must we be social? I don't waive to other car drivers. I signal. There are many times I just want to be left alone while riding. And in fact, if you see me by the side of the road fixing a flat, don't stop; don't ask me if I'm O.K. (which is obvious because I'm seating the last inch of bead).. Just keep on riding. There have been times when I've been trying to fix a flat, and so many people ask me if I'm O.K., I feel like I'm manning an information booth.

If I waived at every cyclist around here, I'd be exhausted. I'll waive sometimes, but I don't want it to be a requirement -- and I'm not hurt if others don't waive at me. Do all the riders in Amsterdam waive at each other?

-- Jay Beattie.

Now I'm a real cyclist! jms UK 0 July 30th 09 03:51 PM
Are you a real cyclist? Tom Crispin UK 34 February 5th 09 02:27 AM
At last I'm a Real Cyclist! Steve C[_2_] UK 33 May 23rd 08 12:47 PM
300 lb. cyclist for real stop_me_NOT Racing 0 December 9th 05 03:17 AM
Fat Cyclist: It's like reality TV, except it's real. And there's no TV. Meg Worley Racing 0 August 21st 05 07:00 AM