Coker vs. Collarbone

Old March 21st 04, 06:24 AM
Klaas Bil

Default Coker vs. Collarbone

Frank,

I hope your collar bone heals quickly and you'll be in the saddle
soon!

About the helmet: good that you had it on, and thank you for
mentioning it and reinforcing many people's belief in wearing helmets.
More proof that one never knows when disaster strikes!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson"

Old March 21st 04, 12:46 PM
U-Turn

Sorry to hear about your injury, Frank. You really are "off-road" for a
while. I guess taking up juggling to kill the time won't work in this
case!

I'm glad you stopped driving. I drove myself to the hospital once with a
kidney stone. I was lucky that it was after midnight and no one was on
the road!

Speedy recovery to you.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old March 21st 04, 02:37 PM
Scott Kurland, RMT

Frank A. wrote:

They ... took a CT Scan of my brain to be safe because I was
feeling pretty lightheaded. That came out negative.

Heh, Cokeurs. ;-)

Old March 21st 04, 04:48 PM
Frank A.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. Once I find a comfortable
position, things aren't too bad. I'm taking the anti-inflam's and the
muscle relaxers but I'm laying off the Percocets. I'm not much for
narcotics.
I'm right handed so it's a drag 'cause I can't do too much.
Everyone assumed I'd crashed on a mountainbike. I told them it was
actually a unicycle. They usually just repeated "a unicycle?" After a
while I didn't bother explaining.

It's too bad, I had cleared my calendar and was planning to get over
to Sarasota to hook up with the local boy's and to meet zod.
Zod, I hope you can meet up for a ride anyway, you'll have a good time.
Adam and John are great guys.

Thanks again everybody,

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old March 21st 04, 06:01 PM
S_Wallis

No, Frank, no! I hate to hear that. You have six weeks of
inconvenience to look forward to, but after that you will be fine. You
will be able to ride again about the same time as me.
I broke my collarbone when I went over the bars of my mountainbike a few
years ago. I walked to a neighborhood and laid down in the street when
I felt myself blacking out. Nobody came along so I eventually started
walking until I found someone in their yard. Unfortunately they didn't
speak English, but I used their phone and my wife came and picked me up.
That is one painful injury. I am glad you are staying off the pain
killers. The first week or so I wore a sling rather than the harness
because the harness really hurt. Then the pain started becoming
unbearable so I tried the harness again and it felt much much better.
Thought I would mention that in case you have trouble getting
comfortable. I had no trouble sleeping. I slept with my arm and body
propped up with pillows.
What a shame to have all those custom munis collecting dust. Good luck
and fast healing to you.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - I kneed to ride.

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old March 21st 04, 07:42 PM
nathan

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery Frank. I see people
riding Cokers (sometimes even offroad) without a helmet often - not a
good idea. Glad your most important asset is unharmed.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old March 21st 04, 11:39 PM
wentz

Sorry to hear about the collarbone. It should heal quickly, but don't
push it - I broke mine twice in three months because I rushed back into
martial arts after the first break. (Sadly, while the girl involved was
not properly impressed either time, she did break her collarbone a
little later trying to impress someone else in the class.)

--
wentz - Who is riding wheel?

"I hate broccoli, and yet, in a certain sense, I am broccoli." - The
Tick
"Who is driving car? BEAR is driving car! How can that be?" - Clerks:
The Cartoon

wentz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4563

Old March 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
showard

Frank -

So sorry to hear about your accident ...

Steve Howard

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old March 22nd 04, 11:54 PM
johnfoss

Sorry you had to do it, but thanks to both Frank and Bevan for reminding
most of us why we wear our helmets every time we ride the rough stuff.
It can happen.

--
johnfoss - Home of the Garage Page

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Wow, I'll never complain about hills ever again!" -- Bicyclist on the
American River Bike Path, watching me pass on my Coker on my way to work