dicks sporting goods

Old July 14th 03, 10:14 PM
Michael Dart

Default dicks sporting goods

"bomba" wrote in message
Baz_drum wrote:
I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They
look pretty decent to the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell.

I'm
trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I

get a
decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore"

riding?

Yeah, Jeep bikes are really great and are wonderfully light*

* - Possible sarcasm

Hehehe...I can see your eyes roll from here in Virginia.

Mike

Old July 15th 03, 02:54 AM
JD

"Baz_drum" wrote in message news:vlCQa.60245$Ph3.6334@sccrnsc04...
I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They
look pretty decent to the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell. I'm
trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I get a
decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore" riding?

Sounds about right because only true dicks would call those mountain
bikes, let alone sell them. Yes, discount them.

JD
Old July 16th 03, 01:32 AM
Nelson Binch

"B. Sanders" wrote in message
| "Baz_drum" wrote in message
| I noticed that dick's sporting goods is selling Jeep moutain bikes. They
| look pretty decent to the cheapo Huffy/Mongoose stuff they usually sell.
| I'm
| trying to buy a bike from them cause a family member works there and I
get
| decent discount. Does Jeep make a good bike for "not-so-hardcore"
riding?

| Jeep is just a logo slapped on a cheap, heavy Chinese bike. From what I've
| seen, Dick's has *nothing* worth buying, except for miscellaneous
| accessories (they're open later than the bike shops around here). Dick's
| prices are high, their bikes are low-quality, and the mechanics are
| ignorant. What do you expect from a megastore? BTW: Do not be fooled by
| the perpetual "sale" prices at Dick's. It's a standard retail ruse.
|
| Go to a real bike shop, and look at real bikes from Trek, Giant, Kona,
| Fisher, Specialized, etc. You won't spend any more at a bike shop, and
| you'll get a *lot* more quality, fit and service. That is what you want,
| especially if you're doing more than toodling along the bike paths once a
| month. If you do spend more, you'll get a bike that will last a very long
| time, and a dealer who will stand behind it.

I recently responded to a guy on a local BBS who bought a mid priced (his
words - a $300 something bike) bike at Dick's. Found first that they would
not let him have a boxed bike (nothing wrong there - I'm required to sell my
bikes only in built-up form) but in the parking lot, he finds the thing
won't work right. Takes it back in and is told he has to leave it, as the
"Technician" (oddball names for common jobs is another rant of mine - I'm a
mechanic! or a Wrench) wouldn't be in that day. A WEEK later he gets it
back and gets out on the trail to discover the stem wasn't tightened
properly.

He took it back and had such a fight with them he ended up complaining to
BBB. Then he shows up at my shop and buys a 10x better bike for $50 less.

Dick's bikes suck. I've seen Walgeese better put together. Their selection
of clothing is uninspiring. Their people are surly. They recently sold
some unknown brand MTB for $40 at a tent sale. Dammit, I can't even get
people to get their bikes fixed any more because it costs more than buying
another hunk of junk!

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,