The Bike Show

Old July 7th 05, 10:05 PM
Danny Colyer

Default The Bike Show

I've listened to all the past episodes at
URL:http://www.unstablesound.net/bike.html, it's a good show. Anyway,
I received this today:

Dear Friend of the Bike Show,

Thank you for listening to, contributing to or otherwise supporting
Resonance FM's Bike Show - the UK's only radio show devoted to the
miracle of the bicycle and transcendental pleasures of cycling.

ONE YEAR OF THE BIKE SHOW!

Over the past 12 months we have broadcast more than 12 hours of radio
including:

* Interviews-on-two-wheels with Rose Ades (Transport for London), Jeremy
Deller (artist, cyclist and 2004 Turner Prize winner), Mark Ellen
(editor of Word Magazine), Nicky Hamlyn (writer and filmmaker), Bill
Chidley (Chair of London Bicycle Messengers Association), Rosie Walford
(psychologist), Ben Bowskill (Cycle Training UK) and Graeme Geddes
(London Velodrome Trust).

* Guests in the studio included Barry Mason (Southwark Cyclists), Simon
Brammer (London Cycling Campaign), David Ferry (photomontage artist),
Dusty Limits (cabaret star), Paul Wilson (cycle touring gourmand),
William Greswell (super-pundit), Guy Andrews (author of the Rough Guide
to Cycling in London), Navindh Baburam (pro-cycling GLA candidate and
one-time rickshaw rider), Simon Mottram (Rapha), Tom Kevill-Davies (aka
The Hungry Cyclist), Tim and Tabitha (G8 Bike Protest Ride), Regan and
Jesse (World Naked Bike Ride).

* On-location recordings at Critical Mass, the Dunwich Dynamo, the 2005
Paris-Roubaix Classic, Bike Fest in the Square 2005, the Tate Modern and
Bar Italia. Features on the Tour de France, cycle safety, the Giro
D'Italia, road planning, bicycle poetry, Kraftwerk, a bicycle powered
sound system, bicycle messengers, bicycle commuting, Herne Hill
Velodrome, Critical Mass, Ditchling Beacon, the G8 Protest Bike Ride,
bicycle film-making, bicycle bell testing, the World Naked Bike Rides
and more.

A NEW SEASON – A NEW TIMESLOT

The Bike Show is now a year old and we will be coming back for a new
season of shows starting on Monday 18th July at a new, improved time of
6.30-7pm. Future shows will cover a whole lot of new subjects including:

* the ancient British passion for time trialing
* the 2005 Tour de France
* the 2005 Dunwich Dynamo
* Albert Hoffman, LSD and the bicycle
* Alfred Jarry (pataphysician, writer, cyclist)
* London's cycling emergency services (paramedics, police)
* the continuing saga over the London Velodrome at Herne Hill
* The Rider by Tim Krabbe
* The progress of Tom 'The Hungry Cyclist' Kevill-Davies as he rides and
eats his way around the Americas
* Cycling-inspired classical and experimental music
* Bicycle film-making (and the London Bicycle Film Festival)
* Bike culture in the San Francisco Bay Area
* Cycle security and the criminal mind
* Sustrans's network of cycle routes all around the UK, and genteel
cycle touring in the Edwardian manner

...and much more

INTERNET RADIO and PODCAST

Most of the previous bike shows are now available for listening online,
either as downloadable MP3 'podcasts' or as streaming Real Audio. They
can be found at the Bike Show archive www.unstablesound.net/bike.html or
via any podcast software. Now that iTunes 4.9 has a podcast facility, it
is even easier. There is also a bike show blog at
www.bikeshow.blogspot.com. So far the Bike Show has listeners in 24
countries!

Of course you can always listen to the show life on FM at 104.4fm in
Central London (4 mile radius from London Bridge) or on streaming live
web radio, from www.resonancefm.com

BECOME A BIKE SHOW PROGRAMME-MAKER

The intention of the Bike Show is to offer an open space for anyone who
wants to make radio that is in some way – any way! - related to cycling.
So if you fancy becoming involved in programme-making, please get in
touch. Really, very few skills required...everything can be learned as
you go.

In order to cover some of the costs of production, provide help to new
programme-makers and further publicise the Bike Show, I applied for a
small grant under Transport for London's 'Good Going' Cycling Community
Development Grants. The objective of the grants is to promote cycle use
in London, by investing in community-led cycling-related activities.
Unfortunately we were rejected for the grant, and I was told by TfL's
administrator Adrian Bell that the grant panel didn't think that a radio
show about cycling would encourage more cycle use 'because only cyclists
would listen to it'. In spite of such myopic thinking from the public
officials who are supposed to be supporting cycling in London (now we
know who is responsible for all those dead-end bike lanes!), the Bike
Show will continue to broadcast, albeit in a more stop-start way than if
we had received some financial backing. Without financial support, the
need for volunteers to help with the show is even greater.

For any queries, comments or if you want to get involved, I can be
reached by [address snipped, you can find it on the website] or by
mobile phone +44 (0) 7973 155 278.

'Bon route!' et 'Chapeau!' à tous mes bons rouleurs et très chers amis,

Jack

Jack Thurston
The Bike Show
Resonance 104.4fm
Mondays 6.30pm-7pm
www.resonancefm.com
www.unstablesound.net/bike.html
www.bikeshow.blogspot.com

'Less a radio station than a living art installation'
- Harpers & Queen

"The Bike Show show is absolutely perfect for the diverse community of
people cycling in London. A show for cyclists, made by cyclists - truly
unique."
- Ben Bowskill, Cycle Training UK

"a wonderful job of bringing the images of cycling out of the radio,
with the help of some excellent music and the sounds of
cycling...interviews are friendly and informative... it's quirky and
totally addictive."
- Guy Andrews, Editor, Road Cycling UK and author of the Rough Guide to
Cycling in London.

'Resonance FM is the best radio station in London'
- The Guardian

'A loosely structured laboratory for artists of all kinds to reimagine
what radio can be'
- Artforum

"The Bike Show is already an important new voice for London cycling."
- Bill Chidley, London Bicycle Messengers Association

"I just wanted to say what a delight it has been to discover and listen
to the bike show. I have enjoyed the eclectic mix of topics covered in
the programmes. I wouldn't have dreamt of cycling along Oxford street
butt naked if it hadn't been for a feature on your May 16th show. I did
just that last weekend and found the whole experience surreal and
mind-altering/opening – better than psycho-tropic drugs; there was no
downside."
- Kieron Yates, London.

"I really like it a lot. I plan to listen to another episode tonight as
I wash the dishes."
- Jonathan Winston, Bikescape, San Francisco

- "Fantastic show! Full songs, audioscapes, long conversations, ambient
noise...all very refreshing. Keep it up!"
Jeremy Fink, Portland, Maine, USA

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old July 7th 05, 10:24 PM
Bob Flemming

My claim to radio fame was being interviewed for an episode of the
Bike Show....and, incredibly, it was featured too!! This was last
year's Dunwick Dynamo at half two in the morning, only heard the
program a couple of weeks ago. Bit of vanity never hurt a desperate
soul :-) Seemed like a nice bloke Jack.

Garry