Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed

Old July 21st 03, 08:11 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Default Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed

Thanks, that makes it all a lot clearer and more sensible.

Elisa Roselli
Ile de France

Old July 21st 03, 04:30 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message ...
Tom Sherman wrote:

At what point pedaling becomes counter-productive will depend
on rider strength and bicycle configuration, but I suspect in most cases
it will be at a speed of 70 kph or greater.

Gulp! I broke my speed record yesterday coasting a long, steep hill at 33 kph.
That's plenty fast enough for me! When the air is over 30 degrees C and you
nevertheless start getting wind-chill ...

.....you go to the drops and adopt a more aerodynamic position to
reduce your frontal area.

-Luigi
Old July 27th 03, 12:26 AM
Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman wrote:

At what point pedaling becomes counter-productive will depend
on rider strength and bicycle configuration, but I suspect in most cases
it will be at a speed of 70 kph or greater.

Gulp! I broke my speed record yesterday coasting a long, steep hill at 33 kph.
That's plenty fast enough for me! When the air is over 30 degrees C and you
nevertheless start getting wind-chill ...

....you go to the drops and adopt a more aerodynamic position to
reduce your frontal area.

Here is how I reduced frontal area:
http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg
There are no long or steep grades in north/central Illinois, so I have
only been able to get it up to 90 kph.

Old July 27th 03, 08:23 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

Here is how I reduced frontal area:
http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg
There are no long or steep grades in north/central Illinois, so I have
only been able to get it up to 90 kph.

Well that's all right, I guess.

just curious, since I note with interest the bike has a rack
attached--can you go shopping with it? and how do you lock it up when
you do?

I ask, since I saw my first heavily-laden 'bent here in London (if you
were cranking past Torrington Place near UCL today, that was me and a
buddy in the Marlborough Arms).

-Luigi