Pedal grabbing, finally!

Old July 19th 03, 09:38 AM
napalm

Default Pedal grabbing, finally!

Hey all,
i find that i can manage to land either crank or pedal grabs but
can't get from that to rubber. Is it just psycological? Do you have to
rotate the cranks so that it lifts the uni up? or just go straight from
the horizontal position?
mark

--
napalm - unicycle trampolinist

all you have to do to learn to fly is to throw yourself at the ground
and miss
napalm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3952

Old July 19th 03, 10:54 AM
andrew_carter

I can currently do pedal and crank stalls and go to rubber on the pedal
grabs but fall off at the top every time. Is it normal to feel like the
uni is pushing you off the thing you're grabbing? I'm going to give
grabs a second attempt tomorrow to finish off my holidays nicely.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Freestyle newbie...

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
'GP Unicycles' (http://tinyurl.com/8roq)

Old July 19th 03, 04:13 PM
UniBrier

Who would have thought a year ago that I would be posting on a Trials
thread let alone on grabs to rubber? I have been working on these in the
past couple months so the progress is still fresh in my mind.

I started with the grab/stall and jump off. My first success was with my
freestyle, I was grabbing onto landscape timbers so no damage to the
uni, I concentrated on the launch part of the jump and hit rubber a few
times but only landed a couple and that was with a lot of hopping to
stabilize. The next day I tried at a sk8 park on concrete with a grind
ledge, which does mark the uni, but could not land one that day.

I think my next success was after I got the Summit Trials, even though
it is heavier I guess I felt freer to abuse it at the sk8 park. It took
a lot of tries but by the end of that session I had several successful
landings onto an 18” wide ledge. Again I was really concentrating on a
big jump from the grab to get up. It took a huge effort.

Of course my trials are still lame but I think the “to rubber” part gets
better when the jump is broken down into two parts.

The first part is the jump up or extension. You start low, jump and
extend with a forceful launch. Your back and legs are pretty much
straight after the launch. The next part is the contraction, you pull
your feet and the wheel up towards you, the knees bend and your body
hinges forward at the waist. This gives you the extra wheel height and
with your knees bent you can swing the wheel under you for the
landing.

I was having troubles getting onto the 2x2 landing on the stairs of
death this week when I was told I was scrubbing the tire on the side of
the object through the jump. In other words I was heading for the
landing before I cleared the side. I tried jumping more vertically then
bring the tire under me onto the platform and had better success.

I think a big part of the progress is going from concentrating on the
vertical leap, where you get all your height from the extension part, to
a two part jump.

If geezers can do it so can you!

napalm wrote:
*Do you have to rotate the cranks so that it lifts the uni up? or just
go straight from the horizontal position?
mark *

For crank grabs to rubber I think the cranks stay horizontal. Take a
look at our gallery of geezer trials:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/TrialsAndTribulations . Of course we had
the advantage of very springy boards in that session.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.

Ha! there is a price to everything. It is a very economical universe. -
Uniwitold
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old July 22nd 03, 12:28 PM
Nick Grey

andrew_carter wrote:

I can currently do pedal and crank stalls and go to rubber on the pedal
grabs but fall off at the top every time. Is it normal to feel like the
uni is pushing you off the thing you're grabbing? I'm going to give
grabs a second attempt tomorrow to finish off my holidays nicely.

What do you mean by the uni pushing you off the thing?

I've been practicing on a bench so I can steady myself on the back
when going onto the crank/pedal... doesn't help much for going to rubber
though as it's too low.
--
Nick Grey
To e-mail me, add 0307 after my name in my e-mail address.
Old July 24th 03, 10:34 AM
napalm

After i wrote my last reply i went out and tried to get from crank to
rubber and after 10 minutes i found i could do it! The main reason for
being afraid to try it was the fact that i own absolutely no safety
gear. I went to my normal spot, at my house, a pile of sleepers acting
as a retaining wall, and practised untill i could do it. One thing that
helped me initialy to learn was to grab, with my free arm, a tree whose
branch was close enough to the ledge, This did not give me that much
support but helped psycologicly as i had something that could save me
from a nasty crash. Is it normal to feel like the uni is pushing you off the thing you're
grabbing?

Andrew, i have the same problem. I managed to narrow my problem to the
shape of my cranks, They were curved at the end nearest the axle, so if
i didn't land the hop to my cranks well my uni would force me to bail
out away from the ledge. Hope i've been some help.
Mark

Old July 24th 03, 12:10 PM
andrew_carter

Mark,

Congratulations! If I haven't gotten around to practising grabbing
before UniNats I'll get you to show me in person. See you there.

Andrew