Furniture spray.

Old June 5th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Furniture spray.

On 06/05/2011 09:35 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach
Cruiser Philosopher wrote:
On Jun 5, 1:37 am, wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:14 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:04 pm, wrote:

On Jun 3, 7:29 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:27 am, Dan wrote:

On Jun 3, 6:54 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:02 am, wrote:

Dear all,
just had a guy round fixing my windows. There was a problem with a metal
hinge. He suggested using furniture polish rather than WD40 to lubricate it
as the polish would not collect grit. How a silicate based furniture spray
work on a bike?
Thanks,
Neil

Yes it does. I gather much information about it and I'm ready to buy
it. I guess it puts a protective film on it that does NOT attract
dust. I was originally sold on the idea of GT85, but someone in Amazon
said it didn't work for him.

My main priority is to keep chrome rims from rusting --and price of
course.

Wax your rims? Got hub brakes?

I meant fenders.

Laquer them, use hairspray.

Grease!

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...grease-the-mov...

That'd be a pomade. An emulsion with wax. Not what I was thinking
but I guess would do fine.

You already use hairspray in your grips, right?

Just keep on going.

Maybe Vaseline is the way to go.

Seriously, I found a comment and the guy says he's been using Lemon
Pledge for years near the ocean and no rust.

I dunno about fenders but Pledge is great for stainless steel kitchen
appliances. keeps the fingerprints from showing much longer than windex
etc. alone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 5th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:02 am, wrote:

[...]

bikes are for riding - careful where you put the slippery stuff
Old June 6th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

*wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:02 am, *wrote:

[...]

Ditto: Been using Pledge for years to keep my bikes looking new with a
shine. Besides, it makes them smell "lemony" fresh.
Coz
Old June 6th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

*wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:02 am, *wrote:

[...]

I bought the Pledge equivalent at Walgreens. Their brand, 2 for 1
price, 5 bucks.
Old June 6th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil[_3_]

I tried furniture spray on some squeaky door hinges. It worked a treat.
Tomorrow I will clean off a new chain and try it on that.
Neil

"Neil" wrote in message ...

Could you use furniture spray as a chain lube?

Old June 7th 11, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 6, 11:56 am, "Neil" wrote:
I tried furniture spray on some squeaky door hinges. It worked a treat.
Tomorrow I will clean off a new chain and try it on that.
Neil

"Neil" wrote in . uk...

Could you use furniture spray as a chain lube?

"Neil" wrote in k...

Dear all,
just had a guy round fixing my windows. There was a problem with a metal
hinge. He suggested using furniture polish rather than WD40 to lubricate it
as the polish would not collect grit. How a silicate based furniture spray
work on a bike?
Thanks,
Neil

Finally it all makes sense:

MOST AMERICANS OWN THEIR BIKES AS A PIECE OF FURNITURE.

Deep, real deep.

Old June 9th 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil[_3_]

Cleaned off old oil - sprayed some furniture spray - cycled a couple of
miles -seems to work. I'll do a longer rides over the weekend which will
explore how long it lasts and whether it picks up grit or not.

Old June 9th 11, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 9, 6:22 am, "Neil" wrote:
Cleaned off old oil - sprayed some furniture spray - cycled a couple of
miles -seems to work. I'll do a longer rides over the weekend which will
explore how long it lasts and whether it picks up grit or not.

On chain? I'm using PB-50... Anyone has opinions?

http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_50.html

It's cheap and some people use it on the chain. Notice the picture on
the can.
Old June 9th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 9, 1:26*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:
On Jun 9, 6:22 am, "Neil" wrote:

Cleaned off old oil - sprayed some furniture spray - cycled a couple of
miles -seems to work. I'll do a longer rides over the weekend which will
explore how long it lasts and whether it picks up grit or not.

On chain? I'm using PB-50... Anyone has opinions?

http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_50.html

It's cheap and some people use it on the chain. Notice the picture on
the can.

It say it's a water displacer, it does not mention molybdenum
disulphide. If its for anything other than a childs light duty cycle
I'd look for something else, like oil.
Old June 9th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Philosopher" wrote:
On Jun 9, 6:22 am, "Neil" wrote:

Cleaned off old oil - sprayed some furniture spray - cycled a couple of
miles -seems to work. I'll do a longer rides over the weekend which will
explore how long it lasts and whether it picks up grit or not.

On chain? I'm using PB-50... Anyone has opinions?

http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_50.html

It's cheap and some people use it on the chain. Notice the picture on
the can.

It say it's a water displacer, it does not mention molybdenum
disulphide. *If its for anything other than a childs light duty cycle
I'd look for something else, like oil.

OK, I tried now Mr Wrench chain lube, equally cheap but hopefully
better.

http://www.liquidwrench.com/

If I MUST pay for a better quality I wouldn't hesitate to do it though.

When will they take away this lethal street furniture? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 40 June 14th 10 06:52 PM
Kitchen furniture Brian Drury[_3_] UK 54 May 9th 07 10:36 PM
Street furniture, footpath furniture [email protected] UK 862 April 18th 05 12:56 PM
Vulnerable Road Furniture Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 December 23rd 03 05:12 AM