RR: Close encounters of the mountainbike kind...

Old July 11th 03, 08:19 PM
Carla A-G

Default RR: Close encounters of the mountainbike kind...

We got a couple of sets of bar mount lights to supplement our helmet mounts
for our night rides. We decided to pull in a few rides this week to test
them out. Jim is scheduled for some minor foot surgery this week so the
rides were necessary.

We rode Bethpage for 2 nights and included half of the Greenbelt in one of
those nights. We maintained a good pace. On the first ride, the bar mounts
died out early, they needed to be burned in, in order to get the output.
Riding in the tight, twisty and overgrown singletrack, our lights made us
look like a UFO on the trail. We hadn't ridden Bethpage in a while, the
trail was in marvelous condition for this time of the year. The Greenbelt,
however, was quite overgrown. The thorny bushes that stuck out into the
trail were taking chunks of skins off our arms and legs. The bugs were out
in full force as well. The second ride went in the same fashion. This time,
the bar mounts lasted a little longer but I discovered that my helmet light
wasn't holding its charge. After 3 years of using this battery, I think its
time to put it to pasture. Jim just got a new battery for his helmet light
after his died, so his was working excellently. So far, with only 2 rides,
we have been quite pleased with our new acquisition of bar mounts. We will
need to put in many more rides to judge the long-term performance.

We had a strange experience on one of the nights. Riding on our way out from
Bethpage we noticed an object near the road. It was a big object. From a
distance, Jim at first thought it was a rusted garbage can. I was under the
impression that it was a rather large tree stump. Well, we were both wrong.
As we approached the object, we shined our armada of lights on it. Lo and
behold, it was human! It was girl. Just sitting there with her handbag, by
the edge of the road. Jim and I almost crashed into each other at the shock
of the sighting. She said hello as we passed by her, she seemed more
surprised than we were. It seemed like she was waiting for somebody, just
sitting on the ground, waiting. I wondered why in the hell would somebody
want to be sitting in the middle of the road in Bethpage State Park in that
hour of the night. We continued on and rode out of the park, laughing about
the whole strange encounter...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 11th 03, 08:24 PM
Craig Brossman

Default Close encounters of the mountainbike kind...

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
snip
- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Nice RR. Nite riding is great, we planned on a nitetime ride last nite, but
had to bag it for an evening ride because my partner had to be up extra
early and drive 400 miles.
It is especially nice when daytime temps are in the 90's.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove .nospam. if replying)

Old July 11th 03, 08:27 PM
Penny S.

Craig Brossman scribbled :
"Carla A-G" wrote in message
snip
- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Nice RR. Nite riding is great, we planned on a nitetime ride last
nite, but had to bag it for an evening ride because my partner had to
be up extra early and drive 400 miles.
It is especially nice when daytime temps are in the 90's.

Speaking of nite riding, the moon will be full and hopefully the skies clear
in Idaho this weekend, I wonder how a moonlight ride might be.

I am going nuts waiting for the hubby to get home so we can leave...

penny

Old July 11th 03, 08:38 PM
Alan McClure

What bar mounted lights and helmet mounted lights do you have. I would like
to buy some, and I just got a Nashbar catalog filled with choices. They
range from about $15 to $399 dollars.

A.

Old July 11th 03, 08:49 PM
Carla A-G

"Alan McClure" wrote in message
What bar mounted lights and helmet mounted lights do you have. I would

like
to buy some, and I just got a Nashbar catalog filled with choices. They
range from about $15 to $399 dollars.

We use Niteriders for the helmet mounts. We just picked up these bar mounts
at a super price, so far we have nothing but praise for them:

http://www.supergo.com/itemlist.asp?...pany=VistaLite

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 11th 03, 08:51 PM
Cinder Girl

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
snippy snip

[...]

Because, something cool and unusual always happens to you She was drawn
to that spot by your attractive force for strange ride happenings. I wonder
what was in her handbag?

Old July 11th 03, 09:42 PM
Carla A-G

"Cinder Girl" wrote in message
Because, something cool and unusual always happens to you She was

drawn
to that spot by your attractive force for strange ride happenings. I

wonder
what was in her handbag?

I'd rather not know...

- CA-G
booze? a bag of weed?...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 14th 03, 06:42 PM
Cinder Girl

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"Cinder Girl" wrote in message
Because, something cool and unusual always happens to you She was

drawn
to that spot by your attractive force for strange ride happenings. I

wonder
what was in her handbag?

I'd rather not know...

- CA-G