difference between kh saddles?

Old March 20th 04, 02:16 AM
cybeross

Default difference between kh saddles?

Hi there, I just bought a profile/yuni unicycle (came today, i'm SO
excited!) and I noticed that my "Kh" seat isn't the same as my friends
who bought just the seat 2 days ago. Mine is yellow, it has a yellow
handle, and yellow bumbers too, with a black top, and grey sides. His
is "red" but, the bumpers are black. His seat cover says "kris holm" on
the back, but mine doesn't (says velo on bottom though) his is softer
and spongier, and his cover is made out of vinyl whereas mine is made
out of leathery stuff.. Basically, his looks like the pics on
unicycle.com and everywhere else, but mine is different, not that it's
BAD, i'm just curious why there is a discrepancy?

--
cybeross - three tyme speling be champeon

-Ross

"Can YOU name a truck with four wheel drive, that smells like a steak,
and seats thirty-five?"
cybeross's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1045

Old March 20th 04, 07:26 AM
UniBrier

KH (Velo) seats come in many color combos. Add to that the fact the
Torker DX seats are also Velo but not "KH" and the confusion never
ends.

There are also at least three generations of Velo/KH seats. Rowan has a
great description in 'KH Seats' (http://tinyurl.com/x5u6): The second generation seat is much wider at the front than the third
generation. If you only have one seat, if the front of the seat is
barely wider than the front handle it might be third generation, and
if it's a bit wider then it could be second. The third generation seat
seems to have softer foam, and flexes less than the second, apparently
due to having thicker plastic on the base. Also the way the date is
written is slightly different. On the third generation it is easier to
tell when the seat was made due to these circle thingies with numbers
molded into the plastic base, with an arrow pointing to the date. The
second generation saddle has numbers in circles, but without the arrow
pointing to the number.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve De Cuckoo

The Roadrunner or Ground Cuckoo can run at speeds of up to 15 miles per
hour (24 km per hour). It rarely flies and does not migrate. When it is
in danger, it runs or crouches to hide.

The RoadUnier or Cuckoo Cokier can ride at speeds of up to 15 miles per
hour (24 km per hour). It rarely flies and does not migrate. When it is
in danger it UPDs and slides.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old March 20th 04, 08:00 AM
cybeross

Well, based on the fact that there is no date, or anything to indicate
it is a Kris Holm seat, maybe i got gipped. I can't believe I would
have bought a new unicycle and gotten an old seat model... that's not
good at all...

Old March 20th 04, 09:02 AM
Rowan

cybeross wrote:
*Well, based on the fact that there is no date, or anything to
indicate it is a Kris Holm seat, maybe i got gipped. I can't believe
I would have bought a new unicycle and gotten an old seat model...
that's not good at all... *

I wouldn't be worried about it unless it breaks prematurely. Maybe ring
up Unicycle.com and have a chat if you want to find out the details of
why they are different. If it works, don't fix it!

My description of 2nd and 3rd generation saddles was only due to my
experience with two seats, and there have surely been more than two
models made so far. If it is the same design and says Velo, then it
probably had something to do with Kris Holm, and I think I remember
those type of seats mentioned as being sold by Norco (one of Kris's
sponsors). My first KH seat was made of vinyl leathery stuff, and the
second one is shiney nylon material (or something). First one was more
solid, and second one softer and narrower.

The reason I got two seats was that the original one that came with my
unicycle snapped in half, and I purchased a replacement one, even though
I had built a carbon fibre airseat. I use the CF seat, and chucked the
spare KH seat on my crap unicycle. I got the second seat just so I could
test it and compare it while using the rails adapter with angle
adjustment. After comparing them, I think the KH seat is good, but the
expensive CF airseat seems to suit my preferences better, because it is
so rigid and has the reeder handle to fully grip onto.

--
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old March 20th 04, 10:13 PM
cybeross

I guess the only reason I worry is because you say your 2nd generation
seat "snapped"... this scares me just a bit...