Dawes Super Galaxy Price?

Old January 21st 04, 07:27 PM
MSA

Default Dawes Super Galaxy Price?

Hi all,

You may remember me asking if anyone had a second hand bike for sale
that I could use for commuting. Well, I've found a Dawes Super Galaxy,
approx. 1992 that is my size and supposed to be in VERY VERY good
condition.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of what the bike would be worth?

Thanks,

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling
Old January 21st 04, 08:06 PM
chris French

In message , MSA
writes
Hi all,

You may remember me asking if anyone had a second hand bike for sale
that I could use for commuting. Well, I've found a Dawes Super Galaxy,
approx. 1992 that is my size and supposed to be in VERY VERY good
condition.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of what the bike would be worth?

Couple of hundred maybe?

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old January 21st 04, 08:08 PM
A.Lee

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:27:17 +0000, MSA wrote:

You may remember me asking if anyone had a second hand bike for sale
that I could use for commuting. Well, I've found a Dawes Super Galaxy,
approx. 1992 that is my size and supposed to be in VERY VERY good
condition.
Can anyone give me a ball park figure of what the bike would be worth?

If it were me, I'd offer up to £100.
1992 is getting a bit old now (if that bothers you)so will likely be on 7
speed downtube (or bar end) shifters,maybe (unlikely?) still has 27"
wheels.
It all depends on what you want it for, if its just a work and back bike,
then £100 would be about right (though offer less!).If its for touring the
Country, and is in excellent condition, with lots of accessories, then it
may be worth £200,but I doubt it.I sold one 5 years ago for £75.It was as
new,with many bits better than new, apart from a slight dent in the top tube.
Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old January 21st 04, 09:20 PM
MSA

In article ,
says...
[...]

It was estimated at 10 years old. I've just phoned the guy and he's
told me its Shimano 18 speed (guess that's 2x9 not 3x6??) and it has
700c wheels. Colour is blue, does that help in putting an age on it?
Still has full guards and rack fitted.

I thought Galaxy's were worth a bit more than the average steel 'road'
bike? It's advertised for £175 ono.

Yes, it is initially for commuting, but it's a 45 mile round trip so I
want something decent. I'm used to riding quality bikes, I think if I
bought something for £20 I wouldn't be satisfied.

Old January 21st 04, 09:30 PM
Clive George

MSA wrote:

It was estimated at 10 years old. I've just phoned the guy and he's
told me its Shimano 18 speed (guess that's 2x9 not 3x6??) and it has
700c wheels. Colour is blue, does that help in putting an age on it?
Still has full guards and rack fitted.

It should be 3x something, so 3x 6 it will be unless he's upgraded the
drivetrain. Which may well mean a freewheel.
Still, should be a 7 speed at that age.

In mid-1994 my super galaxy was dark blue, 700c wheels, bar end shifters, LX
groupset, 7 speed hub, triple front, front and back racks.

cheers,
clive

Old January 22nd 04, 09:04 PM
tony R

"MSA" wrote in

It was estimated at 10 years old. I've just phoned the guy and he's
told me its Shimano 18 speed (guess that's 2x9 not 3x6??) and it has
700c wheels. Colour is blue, does that help in putting an age on it?

I'd say it's probably older than 10 years. My reason is that I bought my
Evans tourer in 1991 and they also stocked Super Galaxies at the time. I had
to choose between the two and I recall that my choice was informed by
several factors but number of gears was not one of them. I'm therefore
pretty sure the 1991 SG would have had a 7 x 3 set-up. Which is not to say
the bike you're being offered isn't worth the money - if someone offered me
£175 for my 12 year old tourer I'd send them packing.

tony R.

Old January 22nd 04, 10:02 PM
MSA

In article ,
says...

"MSA" wrote in

It was estimated at 10 years old. I've just phoned the guy and he's
told me its Shimano 18 speed (guess that's 2x9 not 3x6??) and it has
700c wheels. Colour is blue, does that help in putting an age on it?

I'd say it's probably older than 10 years. My reason is that I bought my
Evans tourer in 1991 and they also stocked Super Galaxies at the time. I had
to choose between the two and I recall that my choice was informed by
several factors but number of gears was not one of them. I'm therefore
pretty sure the 1991 SG would have had a 7 x 3 set-up. Which is not to say
the bike you're being offered isn't worth the money - if someone offered me
£175 for my 12 year old tourer I'd send them packing.

tony R.

Went to view it tonight (100 mile round trip) and turned it down. It
was 6x3. the frame was not in excellent condition as described,
although it was OK. The n/s seatstay had been repainted to to a large
scrape, and there was small pitting around the headtube. It originally
came with 27" wheels but the owner had fitted 700c's. I couldn't find a
name on them and although running true had a lot of loose spokes. I
would have had to re-true the wheels, fit new handlebars (too narrow),
new saddle, new tyres, new cables and give the whole thing some TLC.

Could have been a good project but in my view, not worth the £175 asking
price.

Still on the lookout for a decent road commuter around 55cm!

Thanks for the info everyone.