Suffolk - any tips ?

Old March 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Karen Lipkow

Default Suffolk - any tips ?

Hi,

We are planning a short cycling trip around Easter and were thinking of
Suffolk, e.g. Norwich to Ipswich along the coast (North-South). Is this
a good route, or can anyone suggest anything better ? Which campgrounds
are nice ? Which villages/castles/landmarks/beaches... shouldn't we
miss ? Will it be a problem to take the bikes (and a trailer) on the
train from Cambridge ? Advice of any kind will be highly appreciated !

Thanks, Karen
--
remove underscore and seven from my email address
Old March 25th 04, 07:54 PM
Doki

Karen Lipkow wrote:
Hi,

We are planning a short cycling trip around Easter and were thinking
of Suffolk, e.g. Norwich to Ipswich along the coast (North-South).
Is this a good route, or can anyone suggest anything better ?

As far as I've noticed in the car, Norwich is at least 30 miles from the
coast.

Old March 25th 04, 07:57 PM
Peter Fox

Following on from Karen Lipkow's message. . .

* Check the URL in the sig
* 1 and 3 day train passes available from Anglia trains (Except they
won't be around at Easter) - So check carefully.
* You'll be unlucky to find wicked hills in Suffolk (There are a few but
I can't think of any in the coastal part) but beware of the wind.
* Beware of the sea fog (haar) - chilly - damp - grey and miserable when
10 miles inland the sun is out.
* North-Walsham - Yarmouth : The possibility of a bit of road less than
a mile from the sea. Windfarm (you wanted excitement!) and a bit of
broad. WINDY but otherwise easy.
* Yarmouth - Lowestoft : Difficult to hug the coast - Holiday camps &
lack of access to sea after Gorleston.
* Trams and buses at Carlton Colville(Lowestoft/Oulton broad)
* South of Lowestoft there is no pretence of a 'coast road'.
* There is a lot of pleasant cycling in the band 10 west of the A12
* You can cross the river Yare at Reedham
* Look at a map of WW2 airfields to give you an idea of how the land
lies. In Suffolk they were mostly built on flat plateau land.
* Southwold is quaint - But the beer is monotonous. You can get across
the river at Walberswick.
* There is heath and forest around Dunwich (Visit while stocks last!)
* Leiston has the Garratt museum but it was rather sad when I went.
* Framlingham has a castle (But I always go to the Station hotel NB not
the Railway)
* Laxfield has the Kings Head (AKA Low House) Worth a visit.
* Beccles may have a lower boredom quota than some places.
* The Mus. of East Anglian life at Stowmarket may interest you but a lot
of it needs somebody to interpret the exhibits to make the most of them.
Mostly it is just a collection of 'things'.

If you're expecting Suffolk to be full of 'unmissable' things you're in
for a disappointment. But there is lots of very pleasant cycling to be
had.

Hi,

We are planning a short cycling trip around Easter and were thinking of
Suffolk, e.g. Norwich to Ipswich along the coast (North-South). Is this
a good route, or can anyone suggest anything better ? Which campgrounds
are nice ? Which villages/castles/landmarks/beaches... shouldn't we
miss ? Will it be a problem to take the bikes (and a trailer) on the
train from Cambridge ? Advice of any kind will be highly appreciated !

Thanks, Karen

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides
Old March 25th 04, 09:49 PM
Ningi

Karen Lipkow wrote:
Hi,

We are planning a short cycling trip around Easter and were thinking of
Suffolk, e.g. Norwich to Ipswich along the coast (North-South). Is this
a good route, or can anyone suggest anything better ? Which campgrounds
are nice ? Which villages/castles/landmarks/beaches... shouldn't we
miss ? Will it be a problem to take the bikes (and a trailer) on the
train from Cambridge ? Advice of any kind will be highly appreciated !

Thanks, Karen

My one piece of advice..

Drink lots of Adnams beer.

Pete
Old March 25th 04, 10:32 PM
Merrick and Jane Moseley

in article , Ningi at
wrote on 25/3/04 9:49 pm:

Karen Lipkow wrote:
Hi,

We are planning a short cycling trip around Easter and were thinking of
Suffolk, e.g. Norwich to Ipswich along the coast (North-South). Is this
a good route, or can anyone suggest anything better ? Which campgrounds
are nice ? Which villages/castles/landmarks/beaches... shouldn't we
miss ? Will it be a problem to take the bikes (and a trailer) on the
train from Cambridge ? Advice of any kind will be highly appreciated !

Thanks, Karen

My one piece of advice..

Drink lots of Adnams beer.

Pete

Gosh, where to start. Suffolk is hard to beat for cycle touring. Make sure=
you take in Snape Maltings, the view down river is one of the finest I
know. And you can spend at least an afternoon there, unusual shops, a
fantastic pub (Yes, Adnams!), a river trip maybe, Henry Moore sculptures
even a concert if you time it right.

Aldeburgh is arguable England's finest seaside town. Check out Regatta =8B
an excellent seafront bistro. Also Maggie Hambling's controversial sculpture
on the beach (see it before it's vandalised or blown up!).

Orford on the way to nowhere, a couple of great pubs. The National Trust
runs boat trips out to the Ness which is a really spooky place, fascinating
if you're either in to military history or geography but need to check in
advance. Can in any case walk along the river bank. Nearly forgot, there is
also a castle in Orford (and before I do forget, *THE* Suffolk castle is at
Framlingham). And if you are a foodie, there is a smokery run by some weird
old geezer, but my is the produce fantastic.

Back track from Orford to an area know as The Sandlings, feels very remote.
There is a pub called the Ramsholt Arms (at Ramsholt!) with idyllic river
views and if pubs with river views are you forte, then the classic pub is
the Butt and Oyster at Pinmill. Meanwhile back to Sandlings...this is the
site of Sutton Hoo. Now my history is appalling but basically this was one
of the premier archaeological finds of the 19th century =8B a buried Viking
ship. For years it was forgotten about but a few years ago it got a full-on
makeover by English Heritage (NT?) and I recall it's been very well 'done'.
Finally, I was introduced to cycling in Suffolk by an outfit called Suffolk
Cycling Tours years ago. They would put a route together for you with a nod
to your cultural preferences, even book your accommodation if you wished.
I'd give them a very strong recommendation. Enjoy! Merrick

Old March 29th 04, 08:59 PM
Karen Lipkow

Thank you so much for all your great advice, guys ! I've ordered the
Coastal Cycle Route Guide, as it's fantastic value for the maps alone,
and we're going look out for all recommended stops.

Cheers,
Karen
--
remove underscore and seven from my email address
Old March 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Tim Hall

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:59:05 +0100, Karen Lipkow
wrote:

Thank you so much for all your great advice, guys ! I've ordered the
Coastal Cycle Route Guide, as it's fantastic value for the maps alone,
and we're going look out for all recommended stops.

Late news: there's a small ferry across Butley Creek just down from
Orford. It cuts out some of the nasty bits of road. IIRC you have to
phoe up to see if it's running - it's a rowing boat powered by a
bloke.

We managed a tandem and a brace of solos in it.

Tim
Old March 30th 04, 08:05 PM
Pete whelan

wrote:

Thank you so much for all your great advice, guys ! I've ordered the
Coastal Cycle Route Guide, as it's fantastic value for the maps alone,
and we're going look out for all recommended stops.

Late news: there's a small ferry across Butley Creek just down from
Orford. It cuts out some of the nasty bits of road. IIRC you have to
phoe up to see if it's running - it's a rowing boat powered by a
bloke.

We managed a tandem and a brace of solos in it.

Tim

plus at Orford there are a couple of smokehouses. Great smoked Cheddar
at Richardsons smokehouse - samples to try normally available