Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider

Old October 22nd 03, 01:16 AM
Kenny

Default Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider

Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi

Most Promising Rider 2003: Filippo Pozzato

Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez
Old October 22nd 03, 01:25 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 21 Oct 2003 17:16:29 -0700, Kenny wrote:
Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi

Where's Van Petegem?

Most Promising Rider 2003: Filippo Pozzato

Mayo.

Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez

Botero.
Old October 22nd 03, 01:32 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
l.nl...
On 21 Oct 2003 17:16:29 -0700, Kenny wrote:
Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi

Where's Van Petegem?

snip

Dumbass -

Agree about Van Petegem. Rider of the Year is a debate between Bettini,
Petacchi and Van Petegem. Vino was very consistent, but his wins didn't make
the same impression of the other three. I leave him out.

Old October 22nd 03, 04:23 AM
lazysegall

Kenny wrote:
Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi
Most Promising Rider 2003: Filippo Pozzato
Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez

Vino? Seriously. Petacchi won how many GC stages...is it possible for a
sprinter to be considered the rider of the year. I mean he basically
lost 2 sprints the entire year. Bettini had such a strong season that I
can't complain, but Petacchi was so much more dominant than vino.

Cipo was disappointing, but maybe we expect that.

Valverde was pretty impressive in the Vuelta.

I am suprised no one had the stupidity to say Armstrong yet.

Old October 22nd 03, 05:49 AM
Tom Kunich

I agree that Petacchi was really hot stuff this year. There's no doubt
that if he can maintain this he will be the next Mario. Of course he
isn't as flashy but I think that's good.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:24 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On 21 Oct 2003 17:16:29 -0700, Kenny wrote:
Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi

Where's Van Petegem?

There's no doubt about Bettini - and he looks to be the kind of guy who can
maintain the level he had this season for a few more. Petacchi and PVP are very
close as second and third, to me. But I'd put Vino some distance back in fourth.
He didn't win a lot, but I think he was consistently up front for a long time.
He also stepped up from being a good one-two week tour guy to being up front in
a GT.

Most Promising Rider 2003: Filippo Pozzato

Mayo.

Mayo showed hints of being very good in '02, but it was obvious this year.
Popovych for next year?

Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez

Botero.

I'd put Gonzalez, Botero and Cipo in a three-way tie for last this year
(expecting comments about "three-way" anytime now...). C. Evans and P.
Savoldelli had terrible years, too, but that was due to injuries.

--
tanx,
Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain
We tell jokes to make you laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..."
The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old October 22nd 03, 09:16 AM
David N. Welton

lazysegall writes:

Vino? Seriously. Petacchi won how many GC stages...is it possible
for a sprinter to be considered the rider of the year. I mean he
basically lost 2 sprints the entire year. Bettini had such a strong
season that I can't complain, but Petacchi was so much more dominant
than vino.

Petacchi did something that no one else has *ever* done. As much as
Bettini had a great season too, I think Petacchi's accomplishments are
something for the record books...

Cipo was disappointing, but maybe we expect that.

He did equal and surpass the "number of wins at the Giro" record, but
not much beyond that.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Old October 22nd 03, 11:40 AM
otto

"lazysegall" wrote in message

Valverde was pretty impressive in the Vuelta.

I would definitely say that Valverde is someone for the future. Not
only did he have a great Vuelta, but don't forget 2nd in Hamilton, and
he's only 23! If he manages to keep up that kind of form then i think
we'll be hearing alot from him in the coming years.
Old October 22nd 03, 12:53 PM
Beetlebum

The award goes to - Petacchi for rider of the year after 15 grand tour
stage wins, and almost countless other races. Since he finished the
Vuelta maybe everyone will forgive him for getting sick and abandoning
the Tour along with most of his team...

But, I'm also nominating Tyler Hamilton to the top few for winning L-B-L
and the Tour of Romandie, plus winning a stage and finishing 4th in the
Tour with a broken collarbone. All with a smile and no whining - this
guy impresses the hell out of me...

Most promising: Valverde - 2 Vuelta stages and 2nd at the WC, this guy's
going to be a force to be reckoned with next year...

Most disappointing: One name - Cipollini, who hardly bothered to show up
and race this year after getting the record for Giro stage wins...

-Beetlebum

Old October 22nd 03, 01:16 PM
Davide Tosi

Dalla voce di (Kenny), eresiarca mino

Rider o/t Year 2003:
1. Paolo Bettini
2. Alexander Vinokourov
3. Alessandro Petacchi

No. Bettini just made his duty and Vino did a good job but not that
special.

My ranking:
1. PvP - RvV/P-R doubles are rare gems in the history of cycling
2. Tyler H. - He had victories similar to Vino's ones, but more prestigious
(LBL instead of AGR) and he rode the Tour with a broken collarbone!
3. Petacchi - 15 stages in 3 different grand tours says it all. The most
exciting stage hunter since Freddy Maertens.

Most Promising Rider 2003: Filippo Pozzato

I agree. Not only of 2003, but of the last n years.
The man that will break Johan's record of WC victories.

Most Disapointing Rider 2003: Aitor Gonzalez

Di Luca. The self proclaimed killer had a long list of goals to achieve, he
did not go even near to reaching any of them. I am starting to think that
is win at Lombardy '01 was just something out of luck and in fact he's one
of the most overrated riders in the present peloton.
Also the disappearing of the legendary gladiator, the one and only Andrea
Tafi, really disappointed me.

I also add:
Come back of the year 2003: Michele Bartoli
Though he's already battling with Museeuw for highest number of comebacks,
starting the season with a broken pelvis and ending it by dominating a
Monument is just amazing. This guy has more class in one of thighs than the
whole ONCE team.