Crap, stripped cable bolt on Dura Ace Rear Derailleur

Old September 30th 04, 11:57 PM
andy

Default Crap, stripped cable bolt on Dura Ace Rear Derailleur

subject line says it all. I have stupidly overtightened and stripped the
derailleur body where the cable mounting bolt screws in. Is there any fix
for this? It looks like there is enough meat to tap it out or install a
helicoil. Is it necessary to take the derailleur apart? Any been there done
thats? Thanx in advance.
Andy (now i know why i was keeping that spare ultegra derailleur around)

Old October 1st 04, 01:34 AM
Leo Lichtman

"andy" wrote: (clip)It looks like there is enough meat to tap it out or
install a
helicoil. Is it necessary to take the derailleur apart? Any been there
done thats?

^^^^^^^^^^^
What is the frame made of? I have used various methods to restore stripped
threads, but never on a bicycle frame. Helicoils work really well, and in
my opinion, the new thread is stronger than the original. Helicoil even
makes a repair for replacing the stripped helicoil. Never used that,
though. If it's a steel frame, you could weld or braze the hole, and retap.
Loctite makes an epoxy type product that can be used to reform the stripped
threads.

Old October 1st 04, 02:10 AM
Richard Tack

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"andy" wrote: (clip)It looks like there is enough meat to tap it out or
install a

helicoil. Is it necessary to take the derailleur apart? Any been there
done thats?

^^^^^^^^^^^
What is the frame made of? I have used various methods to restore stripped
threads, but never on a bicycle frame. Helicoils work really well, and in
my opinion, the new thread is stronger than the original. Helicoil even
makes a repair for replacing the stripped helicoil. Never used that,
though. If it's a steel frame, you could weld or braze the hole, and retap.
Loctite makes an epoxy type product that can be used to reform the stripped
threads.

I think the stripped thread is in the
der frame that the cable clamp screws
into. If it was a steel der *hanger,*
then a helicoil/retap is in order. If an
alloy frame a dropout saver

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...ml?p=01-102378

is the fix.

Old October 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Jim Smith

"andy" trifox13atcovaddotnet writes:

The stripped area is in the derailleur, not the frame, but thanx for the
suggestions when I screw up my frame(!). I am thinking just tapping the hole
out to the next size metric bolt. In the past when I have tapped something
out, I have had more space 'behind' the area being tapped. In this case the
derailleur spring is pretty close. Thanx for the suggestions and keep em
coming.

If the clearance behind the hole is a problem, you could use a bottoming tap.
These are only chamfered for one or two threads.

Old October 1st 04, 05:33 AM
Leo Lichtman

Andy wrote: (clip) In the past when I have tapped something out, I have had
more space 'behind' the area being tapped. In this case the derailleur
spring is pretty close. (Clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If there is not enough room to retap, you will not be able to use a
Helicoil. They require the hole be tapped to a special oversize thread to
receive the replacement insert.

Old October 1st 04, 06:34 AM
Jim Smith

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

Andy wrote: (clip) In the past when I have tapped something out, I have had
more space 'behind' the area being tapped. In this case the derailleur
spring is pretty close. (Clip)
If there is not enough room to retap, you will not be able to use a
Helicoil. They require the hole be tapped to a special oversize thread to
receive the replacement insert.

Bottoming taps are available for helicoils. No problem putting a
helicoil in a blind hole.