Keep on trucking?

Old December 12th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Keep on trucking?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...e-rolled-back/

I wouldn't want to be cycling next to that truck when it turns, even if it pulls no trailer. One trailer is already much more dangerous. Multiple trailers, as envisaged in an "editorial" (i.e. a think-piece endorsed by most of the editors) in a politically influential magazine, is an unthinkable geometric multiplication of peril to cyclists. If you read carefully about the overall weight limit and the reasons for allowing multiple trailers, you will discover that these multiple trailered big truck are envisaged as possibly delivering small parcels in your suburb... Notice that multiple trailers also multiply the danger to pedestrians when trailers take shortcut across the sidewalk at a street corner.

I had a very good experience of these lighter than full load arrangements when I shipped a bike from Germany in a less than full ship, which was then sent on to me, at less than half the cost of a DHL or FedEx delivery, from a port only two away by truck -- when my bike was delivered to me from the bowels of this huge trailer truck, it was the only parcel aboard, and the driver told me it he left the deport with only my bike aboard, though he would be returning full from a depot about twelve miles further down the road from me. But I wouldn't want that truck on a narrow road with me either full or empty. And I have a better bike delivery from Germany to contrast it with: the vendor simply sent it by plane, to which I contributed 50 Euro, and I picked it up at the airport; the total cost was between the two methods was comparable.

Andre Jute
Nobody's ever accused me of being yellow and survived, but I'd hate my gravestone to be engraved, "This cyclist contested his right of way with a monster truck and its many trailers."
Old December 12th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 4:33:26 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I was riding up Niles Canyon. The shoulder is rather narrow and at a railroad overpass the road is two trucks widths wide only. Approaching that overpass I pulled into center of the lane and accelerated up to 22 or so. A truck rounded the bend behind me and you could hear him slam on the accelerator.. This guy was seriously going to kill me. The overpass crosses the road and an angle and so as I passed under I pulled over and backed into the protected area with the overpass supports in between me and the road. As that truck passed under he was entirely out of control and aside from his truck and the first trailer using up the entire road his second trailer was swinging wildly back and forth for a quarter of a mile. It was absolutely pure luck that there wasn't a car coming the other way or he would have been killed and dollars to donuts the driver would have hopped out and ran away. When I called the CHP they asked me the license number. It was a cement truck and all of the surfaces were covered with dull gray powder. "Well, if we don't see it we can't do anything about it."
Old December 12th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:22:45 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I put zero faith in the promise that more trailers behind trucks will harm no one. No one asked someone who has experience of driving a multi-trailer truck, or someone with experience of sharing the road with them.

Andre Jute
Yeah!