******* Bushwalkers!

Old July 12th 04, 05:04 AM
Comfort Gusset

Default ******* Bushwalkers!

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

Old July 12th 04, 05:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Comfort Gusset
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

This has been going on for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about
it here though.

hippy

Old July 12th 04, 06:02 AM
mtb_ugh

"hippy" wrote in message
.. .
Originally posted by Comfort Gusset
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

This has been going on for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about
it here though.

hippy

This happens monthly on my local trails.
All sorts of debris logs, saplings and lots of strategically placed rocks.
Makes the night ride all the more interesting .

chad

Old July 12th 04, 06:15 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Comfort Gusset http://www.news.com.au/common/stor-
y_page/0,4057,10111393%255E421,00.html

This has been going on for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about
it here though.
hippy

Parks Victoria in their wisdom a few years back decided to block all the
paths between the Kew Boulevard and the river (east of fairfield
piebridge + west of chandler bridge). I used to ride home along here
occasionally for a bit of fun and went base over apex over their damn
logs/sticks that i discovered on a bend. This is now 'unofficial' policy
according to the local district head to discourage mtb'ers. fair nuff if
that's what they decree (wel...) but wouldnt a fence be less likely to
end in litigation!!!

Old July 12th 04, 06:15 AM
eddiec

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Comfort Gusset http://www.news.com.au/common/stor-
y_page/0,4057,10111393%255E421,00.html

This has been going on for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about
it here though.
hippy

There have been a few instances of this around the place, even
locally...

However, I hesitate to call the people causing the trouble
'bushwalkers'. Much more 'annoying anal-retentive intolerant types' who
just happen to be bushwalking in that place. I'm sure they'd take
offence at somebody else were they driving/riding/sleeping...

It is a reminder to me to try and be as courteous as possible on shared
use trails - But then again, people like this are going to get offended
and take matters into their own hands, no matter what you do...

Old July 12th 04, 06:30 AM
cfsmtb

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Comfort Gusset http://www.news.com.au/common/stor-
y_page/0,4057,10111393%255E421,00.html

This has been going on for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about
it here though.
hippy

The friction between bushwalkers & riders has been going on with Mt
Wellington and nearby tracks for several years. Most parks users are
moderates, unfortunately a few bad eggs on both sides are making issues
hard to deal with. My parents used to walk frequentely on the mountain,
until a couple of cyclists literally terrified them off the walking
paths by hurtling past them. Apparentely there was no verbal warning or
shouts or any attempt to slow down from the cyclists.

I've ridden single track too, my partner Mr Bikesoiler, rides more
frequentely than me and is involved with MTB advocacy with Lysterfield.
Last year we went to a seminar/talk organised by IMBA at Yarra Bend Park
that discussed similiar land management issues. Situations, as described
in the news article above, are completely avoidable.

Old July 12th 04, 06:30 AM
eddiec

flyingdutch wrote:
but wouldnt a fence be less likely to end in litigation!!!

It would, but then of course a fence would stop all activity in that
area (Which would be a sensible thing if your real concern was damage to
the environment or trail erosion). Which I assume demonstrates this is
driven more by complaints from pedestrians and a preference of walkers
over wheels... Shame...

Although i was intrigued to see on Sunday that one of those paths near
Fairfield that a year or so ago was banning bikes is now a 'shared use'
path... A glimmer of good news!

Old July 12th 04, 07:15 AM
flyingdutch

eddiec wrote:
It would, but then of course a fence would stop all activity in that
area (Which would be a sensible thing if your real concern was damage to
the environment or trail erosion). Which I assume demonstrates this is
driven more by complaints from pedestrians and a preference of walkers
over wheels... Shame...
Although i was intrigued to see on Sunday that one of those paths near
Fairfield that a year or so ago was banning bikes is now a 'shared use'
path... A glimmer of good news!

yeah, the fences were erected cos of serious erosion on that slope.
longterm the bikepath will be continued riverside between the 2 bridges
but bracks allocated ZERO dollars this year to ParksVIC for bike
facilities so it aint gonna be a quick fix

PS look out for upcoming new path near guide dogs centre :-)

PP cfsmtb, did i mention the barkers Rd cutting pavement has been
totally resurfaced on the northern side? Now Yarra council just have
to put in that pram-ramp

Old July 12th 04, 03:16 PM
DRS

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Comfort Gusset

http://www.news.com.au/common/stor-
y_page/0,4057,10111393%255E421,00.html This has been going on

for ages in the USA.. first time I've heard about it here though.
hippy

The friction between bushwalkers & riders has been going on with Mt
Wellington and nearby tracks for several years.

Where is that?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 12th 04, 10:13 PM
Random Data

"DRS" wrote in message ...

The friction between bushwalkers & riders has been going on with Mt
Wellington and nearby tracks for several years.

Where is that?

Above Hobart, where Cadel Evans used to show his roadie talents during
the Toour of Tasmania, before he became a full time roadie.
Sheesh, just because it isn't in RFC 1036 or 1855... :-)

--
Dave Hughes |
Mr Tulip's vices were also limitless, but he owned up to cheap

Bastard cyclist! marc UK 14 June 19th 04 10:06 PM
Fat bastard requires bicycle Martin Wilson UK 103 June 2nd 04 07:05 PM