Riding between the tracks

Old September 1st 04, 10:11 PM
Fritz M

Default Riding between the tracks

I was riding to a nearby town northwest of my destination, taking a
north road then a west road, when I looked down between the tracks of
a rarely-used railroad spur that's a diagonal hypotonuse to these
roads. The gravel is piled up even with the ties, so I considered
riding between the RR tracks to my destination.

In spite of the 30% difference in distance, I decided against it
because I'm a weenie when it comes to trespassing. But it got me
thinking, does anybody do this? I'm not talking about rail-biking, but
riding between the rails over the RR ties. What are the practical
considerations of doing this?

RFM
Old September 1st 04, 10:30 PM
Mike Schwab

Trains are quiter than you think. Easy to get hit from behind without
hearing the trail.
And they only blow the whistle for intersections, by the time they see
you and blow the wistle you time is pretty limited.
If you are on a narrow trestle when one comes by, you may have to jump.
Gravel may be slowere even with the reduced distance.

Old September 1st 04, 10:56 PM
Bill Baka

Fritz M wrote:

I was riding to a nearby town northwest of my destination, taking a
north road then a west road, when I looked down between the tracks of
a rarely-used railroad spur that's a diagonal hypotonuse to these
roads. The gravel is piled up even with the ties, so I considered
riding between the RR tracks to my destination.

In spite of the 30% difference in distance, I decided against it
because I'm a weenie when it comes to trespassing. But it got me
thinking, does anybody do this? I'm not talking about rail-biking, but
riding between the rails over the RR ties. What are the practical
considerations of doing this?

RFM

I tried riding the tracks this spring and the ties were a bumpy
pain in the butt and a train that was coasting got pretty close
to me and then blew his horn full blast. That got my attention
pretty good and I decided that was not a good idea.
Bill Baka

Old September 1st 04, 11:03 PM
Pat

"Fritz M" wrote in message
om...
I was riding to a nearby town northwest of my destination, taking a
north road then a west road, when I looked down between the tracks of
a rarely-used railroad spur that's a diagonal hypotonuse to these
roads. The gravel is piled up even with the ties, so I considered
riding between the RR tracks to my destination.

In spite of the 30% difference in distance, I decided against it
because I'm a weenie when it comes to trespassing. But it got me
thinking, does anybody do this? I'm not talking about rail-biking, but
riding between the rails over the RR ties. What are the practical
considerations of doing this?

RFM

I was walking along the tracks with my dog a few years back, and I was
looking over my shoulder every so often to check for trains. Even so, one
managed to get too close and I had to leap down the gravel side, dragging
the dog with me. Exciting, oh yeah! You would have thought the dog would
have heard it first, but no.

Pat in TX

Old September 4th 04, 05:09 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I tried riding the tracks this spring and the ties were a bumpy
pain in the butt and a train that was coasting got pretty close
to me and then blew his horn full blast.

I know there's a serious safety issue here, but there's something inherently
funny about a train "coasting" up behind you... almost as if it's sneaking
up so it can draft you?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news

Old September 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Arthur Harris

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I tried riding the tracks this spring and the ties were a bumpy
pain in the butt and a train that was coasting got pretty close
to me and then blew his horn full blast.

I know there's a serious safety issue here, but there's something
inherently funny about a train "coasting" up behind you... almost as if
it's sneaking up so it can draft you?

"Mile-a-minute" Murphy in reverse!

http://arrts-arrchives.com/mmm.html

Art Harris

Old September 4th 04, 06:46 PM
Leo Lichtman

(clip) a train that was coasting got pretty close to me and then blew his
horn full blast.
I know there's a serious safety issue here, but there's something
inherently funny about a train "coasting" up behind you... almost as if
it's sneaking up so it can draft you?
I don't mean to offend, but, if this had happened to "Black Rose," I'll bet
she would have been REALLY ****ed. The difference is, a train can't change
lanes to pass. BG