Finding a mirror that is not a piece of crap...

Old September 3rd 04, 03:51 PM
Roger Zoul

GaryG wrote:
:: "Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
:: news ::: Hello all,
:::
::: I'd like to find a mirror that works for me and isn't a piece of
::: crap. I've been having trouble in this. I'd like the following:
:::
::: 1. Attached to the handlebars (drop bars) in the vicinity of the
::: left brake lever. (Head-mounted mirrors I find disorienting, and
::: bar-end mirrors are placed too low.)
:::
::: 2. Stiffly attached to the bars. No wiggly plastic bits to amplify
::: vibrations.
:::
::: 3. Holds adjustment well, and proper adjustment is easy to recover
::: after being bumped.
:::
::: 4. Reasonably sturdy and resistant to breakage.
:::
::: Currently I have a Blackburn mirror which fails all but #1.
:::
::: Does such a beast exist?
:::
::: Reid
::
:: I have tried a number of different mirror styles. For bar-mounted
:: mirrors, the only one I liked was the Cateye bar-end mirror. It's
:: cheap, and provides a good sized view. Unfortunately, like all bar
:: mounted mirrors, it suffers from vibration. The Cateye was better
:: than most in this regard and worked reasonably well on smooth roads.
:: But, on "chip and seal" roads it vibrated so much as to be nearly
:: useless.
::
:: By far the best mirror I have ever used is the "Take a Look" mirror.
:: It attaches to your glasses, is highly adjustable, and provides a
:: large clear field of vision. It's made in America from steel and
:: brass, and is of a much higher quality than the similarly mounted
:: Third Eye mirrors.
::
:: Here are some reviews for the Take a Look:
::
:: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipme...ingmirrors.htm
::
:: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

Do you have the long or short version?

Old September 3rd 04, 04:33 PM
GaryG

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
GaryG wrote:
[...]

I have the long version. I might try the short version at some point, but I
suspect that my 50-something eyes would not be able to focus it well.

FWIW, I tried one of those tiny, stick-on-inside-the-glasses-lens mirrors a
couple of years back, and found it completely worthless due to the focus
issue.

GG

Old September 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Rich Clark

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: Here are some reviews for the Take a Look:
::
:: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipme...ingmirrors.htm
::
:: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

Do you have the long or short version?

??

I've used a Take-A-Look for years, swear by it; using it is so natural to me
it's like part of my head. I miss it when I'm walking down the street.

I never saw more than one version. Is the version that's been widely sold
everywhere for the last many years the "long" one or the "short" one? And
where have you seen more than one version? (Aside from the fact that the
same mirror is sold with and without a helmet adapter, and in
left-side/right side versions.)

RichC (having a hard time imagining why there needs to be more than one
length)

Old September 3rd 04, 05:35 PM
Roger Zoul

GaryG wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::: GaryG wrote:
::::: "Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
::::: news :::::: Hello all,
::::::
[...]
:::::
[...]

Good info. One guy, on the second link you gave, did comment that he
thought the shorter version was superior because of the need for less head
motion to get a good rear view. Maybe he has a long neck

I would not be able to function with a stick-on mirror. funny how, in
cycling, so many of the products are poorly suited for their intended task.
You'd think a rag like Bicycling would scout and root out all of the
ill-suited products.

::
:: GG

Old September 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
Roger Zoul

Rich Clark wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
::::: Here are some reviews for the Take a Look:
:::::
::::: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipme...ingmirrors.htm
:::::
::::: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml
:::
:::
::: Do you have the long or short version?
::
:: ??
::
:: I've used a Take-A-Look for years, swear by it; using it is so
:: natural to me it's like part of my head. I miss it when I'm walking
:: down the street.

Thanks for the recommendation.

::
:: I never saw more than one version. Is the version that's been widely
:: sold everywhere for the last many years the "long" one or the
:: "short" one?

Yes, according to my conversation with the wife and the man that make them
this morning. One is about 5 inches long and the other is about 3 inches
long.

And where have you seen more than one version? (Aside
:: from the fact that the same mirror is sold with and without a helmet
:: adapter, and in left-side/right side versions.)

See above.

::
:: RichC (having a hard time imagining why there needs to be more than
:: one length)

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

"1. The LONG version is way too long for use on eyeglasses. It sticks out
way to far, which means that you have to pop your head up further to get a
view behind you, and it is always catching on things if you wear it off the
bike. Get the short one for eyeglasses, and the long one for helmet-mount. "

Old September 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:35:40 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Good info. One guy, on the second link you gave, did comment that he
thought the shorter version was superior because of the need for less head
motion to get a good rear view. Maybe he has a long neck

I would not be able to function with a stick-on mirror. funny how, in
cycling, so many of the products are poorly suited for their intended task.
You'd think a rag like Bicycling would scout and root out all of the
ill-suited products.

FWIW, I've now adapted really well to the third-eye type of mirror,
although it took a week of fiddling to get it adjusted. At first it seemed
like I needed to look down and then turn slightly, and it was a bit
annoying and difficult to get adjusted to, but now I use it all the time.
Just a quick, and slight turn of the head and I've got a good view of the
traffic behind - it seems very natural.

-B