Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting

Old September 7th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting

Last night it took me nearly an hour to replace my V-brake cartridges.
The koolstop pads I'd bought of the internet simply would not slide
into the holder - to the extent that I (a) had to pare the backs of
them down a bit and (b) remove the holders from the bike and use some
molegrips to ratchet them into place.

Am I just unfortunate in this respect? Did I buy the wrong pads?
Anyone else had problems with them? These were the green ones for
ceramic rims (something I'd never have bought, but it's a second hand
bike).
Old September 7th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sep 7, 1:30*pm, Señor Chris wrote:
wrote:

It helps if you take the retaining pin out first.

grin

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

My immediate thoughts were "are these counterfeit?" to be honest.

I might go get some Aztec ones purely for safety's sake.
Old September 7th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 7 Sep, 13:49, wrote:
Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

My immediate thoughts were "are these counterfeit?" to be honest.

I might go get some Aztec ones purely for safety's sake.

I've been using Koolstop pads in Aztec holders for ages now.
Sometimes they go in easy, sometimes they're real stiff, I've no idea
why. I find wetting the pads (spit on them) helps them in if they're
being tricksy. I went off the Aztec pads because they seemed to wear
away the rims rather too quickly.
Old September 7th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 14:15:46 +0100, Señor Chris

snip

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

I'll remember that - sounds like a useful way to shift a stuck pad.

This happened to me a quarter of the way into the Mad Jack Fuller, a
100km (or is it 150km?) audax, noted for its "scenic" content.

Oh how I laughed.

--
Tim

Fitting cartridge BB - how to get it right PJay General 23 May 7th 07 06:54 PM
Grey Koolstop pads John Ampleforth Techniques 6 February 2nd 07 06:24 PM
Koolstop brake pads Joel Techniques 9 January 6th 07 10:49 PM
Koolstop pads installation Q. kabes Techniques 1 June 8th 05 03:56 PM
KoolStop Brake Pads kingsley Australia 2 October 5th 04 11:30 PM