Chaos, death and disaster - several bombs have just exploded in London ;-(

Old July 8th 05, 02:52 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , "JohnH"
wrote:
No matter WHAT we do (including calling off the war on terror), we're
infidels that must be eliminated.

And just why do you suppose that is?

Because we are not Muslim. Period. End of statement.

--
"Never in the history of mankind, has there been an incident
recorded where large numbers of people were motivated to go to
Old July 8th 05, 03:32 PM
Ophelia

"limey" wrote in message

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
Article he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659093.stm

Since the article, MANY more than the 2 first mentioned confirmed
dead. This
is bad, real, real bad...

I hope any of you in London, or who have friends or relatives in
London -
well I just hope to hells you are ALL alright/. Be safe.

Shaun aRe

I watched in horror early this morning but didn't post because I was
on my way to a medical appointment and beyond. What a senseless loss
of life and limb and what cowards they are. I also post on a UK
newsgroup and was amazed by several responses: "We don't live in
London so why should we care?". Are people really that blasé at home
anymore?

There were two of them Dora and they have been (rightly) vilified. I
don't think anyone else was saying that

Old July 8th 05, 03:32 PM
Ophelia

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in
message oups.com...
Err no. No-one that I spoke to had anything but a sense of shock and
sympathy for the people who were caught up in this either directly or
through worry about family / freinds etc or just plain worried because
they were in the area and no-one knew whether any more explosions were
going to come. Those people you talked to would be classed under the
'absoloute knobhead' category.
Steve.

Quite so!

Old July 8th 05, 04:13 PM
limey

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"limey" wrote in message

I also post on a UK
newsgroup and was amazed by several responses: "We don't live in
London so why should we care?". Are people really that blasé at home
anymore?

There were two of them Dora and they have been (rightly) vilified. I
don't think anyone else was saying that

No, thank goodness. Those remarks really mystified me but they soon got
their come-uppance from the UK posters. As you can see, people here in the
US are also full of sympathy. My rant is that these terrorists are
cowards - wear masks, or cover their faces with their headdresses, come out
of the woodwork, create death and mayhem and fade back into the crowd, with
no regard for the lives of their own citizens. Somehow, I feel we are all
punching at a balloon. If their beliefs are so strong, why don't they
fight like real men?
Sorry for the non-r.f.c. rant - just had to get it off my chest.

Dora

Old July 8th 05, 04:25 PM
Bill Sornson

Shaun aRe wrote:
"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:00:39 +0100, dardruba wrote:

It's not like there is any sense to their thinking!

Unfortunately there is.
This attack was well thought out, apparently by people who
live here. We'll probly get to hear more of this as the
investigations continue, right day, right time, right place etc.

I disagree. Four bombs, in the middle of London, at the height of
rush hour. If they'd been well organised, and / or aiming for
maximum civilian casualties the death toll would / should have been
far greater.

I'm with you on this Jon - if they knew what they were doing, or were
going for maximum impact, there'd be hundreds if not thousands dead...

Oh, they were going for maximum impact. Prolly hoping for at least one
tunnel collapse and mass panic. The populace's mostly calm demeanor was
wonderful to see, and a huge disappointment to the murdering scumbags I bet.

Enough to make one wonder WTF exactly was going on.

They failed in their attempt to inflict mass casualties, that's what went
on. Sucks to be them (soon, hopefully)...

BS

Old July 8th 05, 04:43 PM
MattB

limey wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"limey" wrote in message

[...]

I believe in their culture their fighting style is considered honorable.
You are looking at this from a very ethnocentric point of view. These
people have completely different value systems and believe they are the
ones being victimized and they are just fighting back. I don't agree
with them, but they do see themselves as being heroic. When your
opponent feels that way it just makes the fight that much harder.

Remember the Red Coats vs. the Minutemen? The British said the rebel
colonists were fighting like savages because they wouldn't come out and
line up as tradition and culture had dictated. As it turned out, the
"cowardly" methods of fighting were more effective. Something to think
about...

Matt
Old July 8th 05, 06:23 PM
Michel Boucher

"Bill Sornson" wrote in
:

Michel Boucher wrote:
"Shaun aRe" wrote in
news.net:

Al Quaeda (spelling?) have claimed
responsibility but not sure how truthful this is. Tony Blairs
on his way back from Gleneagles.

Yup - they posted a message making the claim, on a Muslin
web-site - still unconfirmed last I heard.

Interesting how this happens just as Bush wants to talk security
and the others want to push Kyoto...wonder what the motivation
was to hit Britain at this time, if it was a willful act and not
a gas explosion.

GAS EXPLOSION?!? /FOUR/ of 'em?!? (Including one on a friggin'
BUS?!?)

It was still early when I posted that.

At any rate, I'm leaning towards thinking it had nothing to do
with the G-8.

I am wary of claims at this point and hope the British security
people are also careful before jumping the gun (as it were).

Chances are there's some video. We'll know who's responsible
soon.

What do you think? That they left one? No one has claimed
responsibility for the attacks on the US on September 11, so why do
you expect this would be any different?

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Old July 8th 05, 06:24 PM
Michel Boucher

"0ld Yank" same@ Isee.net wrote in
:

I am wary of claims at this point and hope the British security
people are also careful before jumping the gun (as it were).

Chances are there's some video. We'll know who's responsible
soon.

Yes. We certainly don't want to blame those poor, disenfranchised
Al Queda Islamic terrorists unnecessarily, do we?

I guess if you're only interested in vengeance, it doesn't matter
whether those you choose to be the guilty parties actually did it or
not. Personally, I favour being correct over being in a hurry.

Old July 8th 05, 06:45 PM
Bill Sornson

Michel Boucher wrote:
"Bill Sornson" wrote in
:

{snippage}

Chances are there's some video. We'll know who's responsible
soon.

What do you think? That they left one? No one has claimed
responsibility for the attacks on the US on September 11, so why do
you expect this would be any different?

Low on meds? A) I was talking about London's vast surveillance system; and
B) OBL/AQ /did/ claim "credit" for 9-11, and at least one group has already
done so for yesterday's attacks, too.

Read much?

Old July 8th 05, 07:10 PM
0ld Yank

"Michel Boucher" wrote in message
"0ld Yank" same@ Isee.net wrote in
:

I am wary of claims at this point and hope the British security
people are also careful before jumping the gun (as it were).

Chances are there's some video. We'll know who's responsible
soon.

Yes. We certainly don't want to blame those poor, disenfranchised
Al Queda Islamic terrorists unnecessarily, do we?

I guess if you're only interested in vengeance, it doesn't matter
whether those you choose to be the guilty parties actually did it or
not. Personally, I favour being correct over being in a hurry.

Are we in agreement here?

If not, let's start eliminating the possible nonsuspects. It should be
someone who has not been proliferating terror for the last 12-15 years.
Let's see, there's that incident of the USS Cole; the Indonesian blast that
killed hundreds; the Spanish train incident; the two attacks on the NY Trade
Center in a span of years; the plethora of Embassies blown up around the
country; the....... hmmmm. Well, then there's, uh,..... Hmmmm. We
know who did all those things, but of course, we can't just assume that the
same Islamic vermin were responsible for this horror. I mean, that would be
unChristian of us not to mention stupid.

For the life of me, I can't think of anyone at all who would do such a thing
to innocent people. Can you?

Well, mebbe whoever did it left a video g. Damn that was a good line.

But vengeance is not the impetus for retaliation. If it were, then the West
could simply nuke Mecca and get it over with. But self preservation should
be our motive--and in that vein, nuking Mecca might not be such a bad idea,
eh?

Of course, we'd need to give them advance notice so that all the noninvolved
Muslims living there could high-tail it to the city limits. Ten minutes
ought to do it.

--Yankee Viejo