3-4 Day Ride in NY/NJ/CT Region...or Beyond????

Old February 23rd 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default 3-4 Day Ride in NY/NJ/CT Region...or Beyond????

Although I'm not sure how many members of this group are from New York, I'd
like to put in a request for a summer ride idea in the area described above.

I'm 46 years old and in pretty good shape, although my riding season has
gotten shorter and shorter over the past decade. I'm a good rider with a
good amount of energy for day rides that last 8-10 hours. You may find this
goofy, but I still prefer to ride a mountain bike (knobby tires and all) on
the road with a pannier or two and an mp3/speaker combination on my handle
bars. I've never been anywhere near the bike store rack with all the yellow
genital-hugging outfits, preferring, instead to ride in padded underwear
beneath my $7 Kohl's cargo shorts. Although I enjoy shorter rides with my
wife or with small groups of friends, I prefer to do my longer, multi-day
rides alone. These generally last no longer than a 3/4-day weekend and
involve overnights at basic hotels and cheap meals, preferably at outdoor
restaurants. I don't drink a whole lot of alcohol any more (just lost my
taste for it one day) and I'm happily married, so night life at the
destination is not important to me. And as a frequent business traveler,
I've played out my love affair with hotel swimming pools.

So, as of February, 2009, I've ridden the entirety of the shoreline that
runs from Greenwich, CT up to Newport, RI and I've always had a great time.
I've also done a lot of both Long Island shores, as well as Manhattan,
Queens, Brooklyn, and parts of New Jersey. With business in the toilet this
year - and my spirit right in there with it - I feel like I need something
to look forward to when spring or summer comes around. Therefore, I've
decided to plan another bike trip.

Of course, I can repeat any of the great trips I've done in the past, but as
I'm now starting to feel like I won't be able to do this stuff forever
(please no comments about how 46 is not old and lots of guys ride until
they're much older) I'd like to add some new thumb tacks to my map.

Given the info I provided above, and given 3 or 4 days and a budget of about
$300, can anybody recommend a good route that begins in or near Syosset,
Long Island, New York, and will take me through some new scenery for a
couple of days? I've thought about Boston, Philadelphia, and Niagara Falls
(via Amtrak and the Niagara River Recreation Trail), but none of those ideas
are really screaming out at me. Ten years ago, I could easily do 70 miles
in a day, fully-loaded. While that, itself, is nothing to brag about, my
guess is that I can probably only do half to three-quarters of that mileage
now. So, if I have four days, I can probably cover about 150 miles, either
round trip or one way, with a train ride home figured into the plan.

I enjoy riding along water, but now that I've covered the whole coastline, I
don't expect that there are many other rides in the region that will fit
this bill. I also like to stop a lot and take in small towns and people
that I will probably never see again - at least not in the same way. Oh,
and I'm a strict vegetarian, so I need lots of Chipotle and Quizno's joints
along the way!

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Old February 24th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 23 Feb, 23:50, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Papa, my brother!,
how sympathetic do I feel with you!

Besides having been a graduate of Roslyn High, and later a graduate
from Stony Brook, I must say that I did something that you might
consider retracing on your own.

I rode to Port Jefferson to take the ferry to New Haven.
Then pedalled north through Troy, and up.
Camped at night under the rain with squirrels stealing my food.
Finally, I sadly took a train back to Manhattan, and a stinky LIRR
connection to S.t James (changing at Jamaica, of course).

If I hop over, would you come along for a replica?

Sergio
Pisa
Old February 25th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

I rode to Port Jefferson to take the ferry to New Haven. Then pedalled
north through Troy, and up...

I'm curious why you chose Troy. I'm not sure I've ever been there, but I've
never considered it a must-visit place. Did you use Route 66?

If I hop over, would you come along for a replica?

No offense, but while I'm a very social person in life, I'm a loner when it
comes to long bicycle rides. I need the time to enjoy the silence, set my
own pace, and eat donuts for dinner if I feel like it. Know what I mean?

Old March 17th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Feb 25, 10:57*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:

No offense, but while I'm a very social person in life, I'm a loner when it
comes to long bicycle rides. *I need the time to enjoy the silence, set my
own pace, and eat donuts for dinner if I feel like it. *Know what I mean?

While little chocolate donuts are great for people in training they
are generally considered a breakfast food.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/2345/satur...ocolate-donuts

Old March 17th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Feb 24, 6:26*pm, Sergio wrote:

Besides having been a graduate of Roslyn High, and later a graduate
from Stony Brook, I must say that I did something that you might
consider retracing on your own.

I had lunch the other day at this place
http://eastofnyc.typepad.com/thebuzz...k-bite-to.html
It's just up the block from Roslyn HS.

I rode to Port Jefferson to take the ferry to New Haven.
Then pedalled north through Troy, and up.
Camped at night under the rain with squirrels stealing my food.
Finally, I sadly took a train back to Manhattan, and a stinky LIRR
connection to S.t James (changing at Jamaica, of course).

Do you mean Troy, NY or is there one in CT? If you mean NY, why
Troy?